vb:literal>

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Northwoods Tread Lightly® 4x4 Cache Rally

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    let's scrape some cash together and show em what XJs can really do!

Have you ever checked out the JeepSeed competitions? It is strictly XJs and pretty wild.

*Off topic question* Is there a difference between 2way radios and CB radios???
    I suppose the difference would be that all CBs are two-way radios, but not all two-way radios are CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    I suppose the difference would be that all CBs are two-way radios, but not all two-way radios are CBs.
    so if it depends on the 2way radio then??? cuz i was thinking of putting a CB in the Jeep... but was debating between that or just getting a 2way handheld
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Choices

I'd be inclined to get a set of good FRS radios. Some of them have really good range. CB have better range if there is anyone out there to hear you.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I'd be inclined to get a set of good FRS radios. Some of them have really good range. CB have better range if there is anyone out there to hear you.
    but would a 2way be able to communicate with a CB and a CB with a 2way??
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    but would a 2way be able to communicate with a CB and a CB with a 2way??
    OK, let's try again. 2 way radio is a generic term, like "vehicle"--a Jeep is a vehicle, but not all vehicles are Jeeps. CB, FRS, GMRS, 10 Meter, 2 Meter, 6 Meter, Marine band are all 2 way radios that communicate on different frequencies. Many Geocachers use FRS (Channel 2, I believe) radios--the are relatively cheap, very small, and have a decent range. CB has a better range, but the mobile units are very large to carry hiking. The ham bands, like 2 meters have even more range, and some are very compact--the propblem is cost and you need to obtain an FCC license (take a test ) to legally transmit with them (you can always listen). Make sense?

P.S. FRS/GMRS will not communicate with a CB--CBs are AM, FRS/GMRS are FM.

These are some of the reasons I own a Garmin RINO 130, pretty much does it all and even has weather bands that will give your up-to-date forecasts 24-7 Also I believe the FCC gave garmin a waiver on having the license....at least in Canada, not sure about the USA
    The point to point positioning is also a great feature with these units if there are other RINO users in your group
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    These are some of the reasons I own a Garmin RINO 130, pretty much does it all and even has weather bands that will give your up-to-date forecasts 24-7 Also I believe the FCC gave garmin a waiver on having the license....at least in Canada, not sure about the USA
    The point to point positioning is also a great feature with these units if there are other RINO users in your group
    I belive the Rhino uses FRS frequency? FRS requires no license in the US--GMRS does. The radios I have do both FRS and GMRS. GMRS just has a bit more range and some additional channels--there is no test for a GMRS license--just a $70 fee for the whole family.

So, since we're on subject here...

Does anyone know there are "official" FRS/GMRS geocaching channels?

Better yet, what are those channels?

I think it'd be neat if we all used them more, I know there are many times we've barely missed other cachers while out on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    So, since we're on subject here...

Does anyone know there are "official" FRS/GMRS geocaching channels?

Better yet, what are those channels?

I think it'd be neat if we all used them more, I know there are many times we've barely missed other cachers while out on the trail.
    I'm pretty sure it is Channel two.

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    I'm pretty sure it is Channel two.
    That's right! And the alternate channel?