vb:literal>

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Northwoods Tread Lightly® 4x4 Cache Rally

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    That's right! And the alternate channel?
    Of course, it is channel 12 FRS.

What is it Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    I belive the Rhino uses FRS frequency? FRS requires no license in the US--GMRS does. The radios I have do both FRS and GMRS. GMRS just has a bit more range and some additional channels--there is no test for a GMRS license--just a $70 fee for the whole family.

Nope, the RINO uses both frequencies. You are right about the fee though, the waiver by the FCC only allows for the positioning/polling feature.....I guess .....I'll have to research this further to make sure I'm not breaking any laws, I guess its not a worry in Canada from what I get from this clip off the website. I already have their software update and I've not had any problems using both frequencies and the positioning/polling feature. If anyone knows the short answer to this please let me know.

Here is the clip off the Garmin RINO 130 webpage:

We are pleased to announce that the FCC has granted Garmin a waiver that will allow the Rino series units to send position data on GMRS channels. In addition, Industry Canada has established a license-free GMRS service. Canadian Rino units will now allow users access to GMRS channels. Position sending/polling will also be allowed on Canadian GMRS channels. These new capabilities are available with a simple software update obtained free of charge from the Garmin Web site.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Using GMRS frequency in the U.S. DOES requires a FCC license

I found my short answer.............
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

OK, let's try again. 2 way radio is a generic term, like "vehicle"--a Jeep is a vehicle, but not all vehicles are Jeeps. CB, FRS, GMRS, 10 Meter, 2 Meter, 6 Meter, Marine band are all 2 way radios that communicate on different frequencies. Many Geocachers use FRS (Channel 2, I believe) radios--the are relatively cheap, very small, and have a decent range. CB has a better range, but the mobile units are very large to carry hiking. The ham bands, like 2 meters have even more range, and some are very compact--the propblem is cost and you need to obtain an FCC license (take a test ) to legally transmit with them (you can always listen). Make sense?

P.S. FRS/GMRS will not communicate with a CB--CBs are AM, FRS/GMRS are FM.
    ahhhhh!!! so i can use my jeep as a two way vehicle!
    thanks for clearing that up.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Using GMRS frequency in the U.S. DOES requires a FCC license

I found my short answer.............

LOL,,,I got a set of 35 dollar radios that is going to cost me 70 dollars a year to use. Hmmmm, what is the fine if you get caught .....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    LOL,,,I got a set of 35 dollar radios that is going to cost me 70 dollars a year to use. Hmmmm, what is the fine if you get caught .....LOL
    I *believe* it is up to $10,000, and/or up to 10 years in the slammer--the FCC site is not the easiet to navigate, but that is what I found mentioned on other sites.

This only applies to radios with GMRS capability--FRS is totally unlicensed.

I *believe* it is up to $10,000, and/or up to 10 years in the slammer--the FCC site is not the easiet to navigate, but that is what I found mentioned on other sites.

This only applies to radios with GMRS capability--FRS is totally unlicensed.
    I got a set of radios just the other day as a gift, they have 7 FRS and 15 GMRS channels. So Ill be all set 1/3 of the time...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I got a set of radios just the other day as a gift, they have 7 FRS and 15 GMRS channels. So Ill be all set 1/3 of the time...LOL
    LOL! Actually, I believe as the law is written, any radio that has GMRS frequencies and a removable antenna require a license to operate. FRS is closely regulated to size of antenna and power output--anything more (which most GMRS radios have) requires a license. Will you every get caught, unlikely, but it is something to be aware of.

OK! Here's the way the schedule is looking so far...

Sat. Morning we meet for the event at the resturaunt 6:00am

we will then proceed north and do some easy caches on the way to the campsite...

Under The Waterfall
    (GCR618)
    Moxie Trail Crossing
    (GCJM2B)
    Fossils Rock
    (GCK7B8)

From there we will head up to the campsite, set up and have lunch.
    At which point those wishing to go Kyaking/Canoeing can go their seperate ways. (we'll be right by the Kennebec and Dead River)

Then those of us land bound folk will take off for Fosters Solitude (GC689A) and do that cache before heading back to camp for the evening.

Sunday
    We'll pack up camp and head out for...

Hatch Falls
    (GCW2FG)
    Pitman Mt.
    (GC7ADD)
    Parrot Siding
    (GCQDH6)
    Arc De Brook
    (GCVWG6)

And those of us that survive will head home after that.

Please let us know what you think, comments, suggestions, and cash are gladly accepted.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Sounds like a plan to me. We may find some time to throw a couple more in there too.
    Blazing Troll