vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiking up Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by lwa11
    Well I can say that I have lived in Portland all 35 years of my life..... yes..all 35 of them. lol

I have not been mugged. Never seen a mugging in person. I have seen two moose though in Portland, in the downtown area.

So you know....... who knows about bears. What do you do when you run into one?

Anyone heard of or tried spray?
    sprays are just about worthless, when using a spray you need to hit your victim in the eye or an open wound for it to be affective, it doesn't penetrate unless it's rubbed in, so unless you have really good aim with a a spary can at 10yrds on a windy day (by the way most of the spray cans barely shoot 5ft) you're all set, otherwise if you happen upon an angry creature by the time it gets close enough for your spray to become useful you'll be seconds away from dead. But also the chances of you running into an animal that wants to kill you is slim to none, (proably the only times they'll want to hurt you is if you stumble upon their young, when they're goin at it, or when they're just sick)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Pepper spray for a grizzly just adds a little seasoning to his meal . . . at least that is what they say in Alaska (that and the bear bells that folks wear on their backpacks and shoes to warn bears of their approach is just a dinner bell for the bear)! Of course there are no grizzlies here in Maine.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Personally, I like the .375 H&H for protection against the Griz! Had a few close encounters but the only "threat" involved was me feeling "treatened" as the bear could care less if I fell off the face of the earth. Black Bears are very, very timid and a shout will scare them off quicker than Pepper spray, the "canned" air horns work even better but by the time you remember what pocket it is in, the bear will generally have already run off.

More people are killed by horses than by wild bears. Like horses, use common sense, respect the animal and don't take silly risk.

Most importantly, don't worry about those things you can't control. A plane may fall out of the sky and get you, or a meteor, etc.

John walked up on a bear once while out hunting, since he only had bird shot he said he just backed up and hoofed it out as quitely as he had walked in. I concur though, just try not to get between momma and babies, otherwise they are more likely to see you first and take off before you've even seen him.

Does anyone know what the rules are about a knife on a hike? Do you need permts for a knife like you would a gun?

I appreciate all the advice.

No, I've never heard of needing a permit to carry a knife. In fact, a knife if a top 5 must have's to carry on any hike.

What else would you list as top five?

knife, water, map, light, lighter?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lwa11
    What else would you list as top five?

knife, water, map, light, lighter?
    Glock would be handy.

yup, yup, yup, yup, yup.....though I've always preferred waterproof matches over a lighter, just my preferance. There's plenty more to bring of course, but those are the things I never go without. (snacks, rope, first aid supplies, phone in case your lucky, extra socks, sunscreen, bug dope, etc etc etc.) I'm sure people here have plenty of other good ideas (Paramachenee, TAT, Mainiac, Dave, etc etc etc???) that I've missed. Sorry, I don't carry a firearm. A. I can barely see past my nose B. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn even if I could see and C. I just hardly ever feel that threatened, maybe I'm just naive?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans
    yup, yup, yup, yup, yup.....though I've always preferred waterproof matches over a lighter, just my preferance. There's plenty more to bring of course, but those are the things I never go without. (snacks, rope, first aid supplies, phone in case your lucky, extra socks, sunscreen, bug dope, etc etc etc.) I'm sure people here have plenty of other good ideas (Paramachenee, TAT, Mainiac, Dave, etc etc etc???) that I've missed. Sorry, I don't carry a firearm. A. I can barely see past my nose B. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn even if I could see and C. I just hardly ever feel that threatened, maybe I'm just naive?
    A compass along with your gpsr...and you could invite Dave1976 along so you won't need to carry a gun.