Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Cache Hiding Ethics

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Personally, I don't dissaprove of cemetery caches if done tastefully. If I am buried there and have no consiousness and someone walks by, then I don't care. And if I do have conciousness, I'm glad people come to visit me since I'd have a hard time getting around then.
    LOL! Excellently stated, Dave!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central, Maine
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Brdad has many good points here. It also seems we are reading in the logs about more encounters with police/authorities because of the placement of caches which is not doing the geocaching community any good either. The face of geocaching is changing for me. The very popular cache now being put out for those who choose to do it seems to be the trend. I drove by at least twenty of these yesterday but I don't choose to do them. That's my choice though. Right now, there are still enough caches that appeal to me to keep me interested. When we run out of those, I have the choice of either giving up caching or changing the way I feel. But again that's my choice. If a cache seems to be placed in a manner that defies gc rules...don't do it. That's also your choice.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    It also seems we are reading in the logs about more encounters with police/authorities
    We've only had one "encounter" with the police, and that was in Canada when we came out of the woods to find a provincial policeman looking over our car. He thought that it might have been stolen in Maine and then abandoned.

    But he was very nice once we explained what we were doing, and I think we have convinced him to start geocaching! (He even helped us on directions to a couple of more locations in the area where there were caches.)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Auburn, Maine
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Personally, I don't dissaprove of cemetery caches if done tastefully. If I am buried there and have no consiousness and someone walks by, then I don't care. And if I do have conciousness, I'm glad people come to visit me since I'd have a hard time getting around then.
    On the other hand, if I were planting flowers by someone's grave and some rowdy cachers came through, or if I were at the grave of someone dear who had just passed away and anyone came through who appeared to be playing a game, I would feel like they were depriving me of something. True, many of us grieve while the world goes on around us, but I hope most people wouldn't deliberately be rude while someone is deep in reflection or trying to sort out their feelings.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacky
    On the other hand, if I were planting flowers by someone's grave and some rowdy cachers came through, or if I were at the grave of someone dear who had just passed away and anyone came through who appeared to be playing a game, I would feel like they were depriving me of something. True, many of us grieve while the world goes on around us, but I hope most people wouldn't deliberately be rude while someone is deep in reflection or trying to sort out their feelings.
    Correct, but this would be more of an issue of a cache finder ethics, not cache hider ethics. Once hopes if any cacher approaches a cache and there are people nearby doing anything, he will do his/her best to let the muggles continue on undisturbed even if it meant postponing his find.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    temp
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacky
    On the other hand, if I were planting flowers by someone's grave and some rowdy cachers came through, or if I were at the grave of someone dear who had just passed away and anyone came through who appeared to be playing a game, I would feel like they were depriving me of something. True, many of us grieve while the world goes on around us, but I hope most people wouldn't deliberately be rude while someone is deep in reflection or trying to sort out their feelings.
    LOL!!! Rowdy Cachers strikes me as slightly "off the mark." I've yet to see "rowdy", even at an event. Your post though is right on the mark about being respectful and considerate towards others feeling, both at and away from cemetaries.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    LOL!!! Rowdy Cachers strikes me as slightly "off the mark." I've yet to see "rowdy", even at an event. Your post though is right on the mark about being respectful and considerate towards others feeling, both at and away from cemetaries.
    Obviously you weren't at the wings and beer event to see haffy in action then. You ain't seen rowdy until you've seen haffy on a tear!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    124

    Default cache hiding ethics

    how about the one tied to a cow i went twice to this cache and i don't know if i was at the right place or not but if i was the farmer knew nothing about it and he sure didn't want corn in with his cows since he has an organtic farm this guy was so pissed i thought i was gona get shot at the kreabs farm in starks . and i still don't know if it was at the right farm .

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDave1998
    how about the one tied to a cow i went twice to this cache and i don't know if i was at the right place or not but if i was the farmer knew nothing about it and he sure didn't want corn in with his cows since he has an organtic farm this guy was so pissed i thought i was gona get shot at the kreabs farm in starks . and i still don't know if it was at the right farm .
    What cache was that!?!?!!?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  10. #20
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    What cache was that!?!?!!?
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...d-90cd1b93b4bf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •