Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: New cache waiting to be published

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Topsham
    Posts
    360

    Default New cache waiting to be published

    I have created a cache (Maine's DeLorme Challenge) that copies one created by Haicoole from California, called "California DeLorme Challenge (GCHANH)". It is currently in the review process. My question here is more for the folks that live North of Topsham, Maine.

    I've been North many times with my Dad to pick up french fries from the plant in Presque Isle when I was a very young kid. I've never been to the North West side of Northern Maine (My loss probably), the question is should I exempt some of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer pages due to the remoteness of the area? My mapping software shows roads into all index pages but I assume they are logging roads and I do not know the rules for using them.

    What are some of your thoughts?

    Team Teebow 1
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by team teebow
    My mapping software shows roads into all index pages but I assume they are logging roads and I do not know the rules for using them.
    Logging roads? If the road isn't gated, it's public access. It's great country! As I look out the window in front of me, I know that there are only 3 paved roads between me and the Canadian border, 70 miles away. The rest are logging roads - miles and miles of them!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Topsham
    Posts
    360

    Default Exempt pages on the Maine Gazetteer

    I know Maine has lots of beautiful country and that is why I probably will never leave here. Cheryl and I would actually love to move further North when we retire. The rat race around here is to much sometimes.... We envision further North is a simpler live just tougher to make a good living.

    Anyway, do you think I should exempt any of the index pages due to remoteness? Or just let it go and see what happens?
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

  4. #4
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    It has been my experiance that the multi use forest get expensive. The AAW is one of them. And further more the AAW is not going to allow caches on "THEIR" property. I would enjoy this cache alot however north western maine would be a tough one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Topsham
    Posts
    360

    Default Exempt pages on the Maine Gazetteer

    I'm not against to exempting some of the index pages. This is why I'm asking for everyone's input. I have been holding off creating this cache because I did not know how to handle the most Northern part of Maine. Some day when I retire or win tons of money I'll go explore our great remote areas but for now I need your expertise on what folks believe is the proper thing to do.

    Some of the rules on the DeLorme Challenges say if there are no caches there one must be placed. I know from previous threads this may be impossible due to land ownership.

    At this point the cache is up for review and I said no pages will be exempt, I'll have to go change that. The pages I'm thinking on "Exempting" are 54, 60, 61, 62, 66, and 70. Those pages currently do not have any caches anyway and it looks pretty remote.

    Tom
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Logging roads? If the road isn't gated, it's public access.
    This is not always true. You need to do your research on this. Just because there is a logging roads in Delormed does not mean they are accessible.
    Blazing Troll

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    This is not always true. You need to do your research on this. Just because there is a logging roads in Delormed does not mean they are accessible.
    Well, sheesh! Nobody can make a statement that will be true in absolutely every single situation! LOL!

    But with a few exceptions, land owned by the paper companies and large landowners is publically accessible. (This was told to me by a senior Plum Creek employee.)

    Here's a good reference (see page 125).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central, Maine
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by team teebow
    I have created a cache (Maine's DeLorme Challenge) that copies one created by Haicoole from California, called "California DeLorme Challenge (GCHANH)". It is currently in the review process. My question here is more for the folks that live North of Topsham, Maine.

    I've been North many times with my Dad to pick up french fries from the plant in Presque Isle when I was a very young kid. I've never been to the North West side of Northern Maine (My loss probably), the question is should I exempt some of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer pages due to the remoteness of the area? My mapping software shows roads into all index pages but I assume they are logging roads and I do not know the rules for using them.

    What are some of your thoughts?

    Team Teebow 1

    Many of those roads are gated. You might want to check first.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maine
    Posts
    548

    Default

    One solution would be to put in it that would would consider exempting a page if the area does not have a cache in it and it is not possible to leagal place a cache in that area. Then just have the cacher email you requesting the exemption. that way each person that is attempting the challenge can help in deciding the exemptions cause they are more likly to know more about the area if they are in the area.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    In my experience wandering around up there some of the roads on DeLorme's... don't even exist... they're barely trails, or they turn into private roads or they're posted. Although I love going up there and getting lost, it's almost not worth it anymore just because there's so many restricted places, it just gets irritating to drive 20miles into nowhere just to find out ya gotta turn back. (but then again there's the 4x4 option...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •