vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Increased Security at Canadian Border

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I think we should close all our borders and post gaurds on them and let no one in or out.
    and the ones that want to leave or escape we can turn into slaves!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz
    We'll get ya here, then won't let ya leave!! MMUUHHAAA!!!

For almost a week they was asking for IDs and checking in the trunk. Now they are just checking the trunk.
    Probably looking for the dead bodies . . . or at least Jimmy Hoffa since they didn't find him at the horse farm.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Well, I know for a fact that there's a ferry from Campobello to Deer Island - I'll sneak off that way! LOL!
    I think it's not running this time of year though . . . you'll have to take your chance with the inflatable rubber raft or tie a bunch of inner tubes together and make a run for it.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

I just returned from Canada and I have to tell you after reading the BDN article I half expected to be put to the rack or at least grilled for a half hour or so. 5 minutes and one quick check in the rear (no doubt he was repulsed by the foul smell of wet, sweaty clothing from the hiking in the rain that my brother and I did) and we were through from Campobello to Lubec.

Now granted I had my passport ready along with my driver's license and I have that type of face that practically screams, "He's-obviously-too-stupid-to-be-a-threat-or-do-anything-illegal."

When he asked if I had bought anything while in Canada I replied, "Just a scallop dinner." Like I said, I think those guys can figure me out pretty darn quickly and realize I am not a threat.

I even chatted a bit with the border station guard and asked him if he got bored . . . which he said he did on the overnight shift.

Crossing into Canada earlier in the day was even easier. I had my under-age kid brother along with me with his birth certificate, adoption certificate and even his old high school ID card . . . but they never asked for any of that . . . or even my license. I did ask the Canadian border guard if he would stamp my passport though since I really wanted to get at least one stamp in it which he did with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I just returned from Canada and I have to tell you after reading the BDN article I half expected to be put to the rack or at least grilled for a half hour or so. 5 minutes and one quick check in the rear (no doubt he was repulsed by the foul smell of wet, sweaty clothing from the hiking in the rain that my brother and I did) and we were through from Campobello to Lubec.

Now granted I had my passport ready along with my driver's license and I have that type of face that practically screams, "He's-obviously-too-stupid-to-be-a-threat-or-do-anything-illegal."

When he asked if I had bought anything while in Canada I replied, "Just a scallop dinner." Like I said, I think those guys can figure me out pretty darn quickly and realize I am not a threat.

I even chatted a bit with the border station guard and asked him if he got bored . . . which he said he did on the overnight shift.

Crossing into Canada earlier in the day was even easier. I had my under-age kid brother along with me with his birth certificate, adoption certificate and even his old high school ID card . . . but they never asked for any of that . . . or even my license. I did ask the Canadian border guard if he would stamp my passport though since I really wanted to get at least one stamp in it which he did with a smile.
    hahaha, do ya think he made fun of you after you drove off... like he called up the other stations and was like hey guys, lemme tell you bout this merican that just came throo A....

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I think it's not running this time of year though . . . you'll have to take your chance with the inflatable rubber raft or tie a bunch of inner tubes together and make a run for it.
    The ferry from here to Deer Island starts up the end of June and runs til the first week in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz
    The ferry from here to Deer Island starts up the end of June and runs til the first week in September.
    It's a little know secret that probably the EASIEST place to pass through customs to/from Canada is via the ferry from Eastport to Dees Island. NEVER a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    It's a little know secret that probably the EASIEST place to pass through customs to/from Canada is via the ferry from Eastport to Dees Island. NEVER a hassle.
    sooo that's how you get your imported beer stashes over so cheaply....

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    sooo that's how you get your imported beer stashes over so cheaply....
    No - they won't bother you about a case of beer at any crossing - at least that's been our experience. But at Eastport/Deer Island, you NEVER have to open the doors, have a computer check of your driver's license, none of that hassle.

(Of course - you have to pay $11CDN for the Eastport/Deer Island, and then wait on the free ferry to/from mainland Canada, but that's part of the fun! LOL!
    And Deer Island is one of the prettiest spots in eastern Canada, although I won't get into an argument with Starzz about which is better, Campobello or Deer Island)

We cache in NB, PEI and Quebec all the time. The percentage of good locations vs bad locations is about 50/50 IMO (there are some cacher that place caches that we never look for just as here.) Some times at the border it is difficult to explain what you are doing but they are always friendly. Get them a try as I think you will be pleased. Have found some of the most unique containers in Fredericton.
    We hate mindless caches placed in the woods without a reason, nothing but the cache in a plastic bag on a tree.