vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Archiving Caches

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Actually I missed that . . . which cache?
    it was for birdsacre. guess it never rains where this person is from! not to mention that i pretty much spell out how to get within a few feet of the cache.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    They're not exactly made for hiking . . . though I do often wear an old pair while four wheeling.
    I found a pair of zippered front, leather, interior boots for a steal (David was jealous) and they are great for hiking. I need the steel toes as I fall a lot! The walking stick I got for Mother's Day helps.

Guess these folks better get tough if they're going to cache in Maine. The caches aren't under lamp posts.

I found a cache this weekend that was a plastic container with a cracked lid and full of water. The cache contents were ruined, including the log. I put in a temporary log, a couple of pages in a baggie as that was all I had with me. When I logged the cache, I noticed the owner had never found a cache and this was the only one they had placed. They had logged on to GC.com in April but not since. I posted a maintenance issue for the cache which at this point is basically trash. It's a good spot so it would be good if it is replaced. I ran into a couple of caches in nice spots but were plastic jar types and were having problems. There is no substitute for an ammo box.

Post My 2 cents

I found a cache this weekend that was a plastic container with a cracked lid and full of water. The cache contents were ruined, including the log. I put in a temporary log, a couple of pages in a baggie as that was all I had with me. When I logged the cache, I noticed the owner had never found a cache and this was the only one they had placed. They had logged on to GC.com in April but not since. I posted a maintenance issue for the cache which at this point is basically trash. It's a good spot so it would be good if it is replaced. I ran into a couple of caches in nice spots but were plastic jar types and were having problems. There is no substitute for an ammo box.
    I think that this is an example of a condition that, if the cache owner does not fix it or archive it, should be recommended for archiving.

Nuff said.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    There is no substitute for an ammo box.
    I love my ammo boxes and tend to favor them when trying to decide where to drop a TB or signature item . . . although if a cache is a lock-n-lock or a good and dry plastic pickle jar or something similar I'll also drop something off . . . ones that are questionable I leave as a TNLN (I figure someone spent good money for a TB tag and I spent some money and time on my signature items for them to get ruined).

That said, ammo boxes are not perfect for every situation -- I used a Nalgene bottle for a cache in Bangor due to the size and I have used some waterproof matchstick holders and magnetic key holders for a micro and micros as part of a multi-stage cache. I did however laminate the coords for the next stage in case of water penetration. In addition, I have one cache in Bangor with an ammo box that had water enter it . . . I didn't realize at the time that I was placing it in a low-lying area prone to puddling . . . I have since remedied that problem.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    I acknowledge that there is sometimes a fine line between attempting to motivate a cache owner to make repairs through a "needs maintenance" log or through a "needs archived" log, and I am not being critical of parmachenee's actions to put the cache on life support while awaiting action by the cache owner. In fact, parmachenee is due a thank you for doing what could be done under the circumstances.

With that said, I suggest that this situation (cache in bad shape, owner with one hide and no finds, and a two month absence from the geocaching web site) could justify use of the "needs archived" log option.

Needs archived logs cause the reviewers to receive an e-mail copy of the log, and with that we can request the cache owner to let us know their intentions and place the cache page on a follow-up list for further action if the cache owner is unresponsive.

It's not about giving the cache owner a bad time - it's about helping to ensure that other area geocachers and visitors to your area have quality caches to find.

Hope this helps. Seriously.

It is my belief at least one of the caches referred to in this tread was placed on "temporarily unavailable" tonight along with all the others this owner placed. I have been trying to help the owner but he emailed he "just can't get the procedure of the game".

He said he hoped he had "permanently disabled" them. I don't think that really is the case. He is going to pick them all up tomorrow.

A shame - as with a little work - these would have probably all been ok. Actually I had suggestions for all - had he wanted to stay involved.

I had tried to explain to him that it was no joke for someone to struggle with a false or useless clue (better to have none), bad coordinates or an area which was not pleasant or perhaps safe to visit. Was so concerned about this before his posting to withdraw his caches, I even called Becket.

Becket - thank you for the comments, advice and support. Appreciated!

I actually tryed to adopt a soaked cache that the owners had not responded to GPS fun or me. The response I got, after posting to the log on line, was less than pleasant via email. I was accused of being the "cache police". Folks did replace their containers (finally) but not before they bashed me via email. That's a shame when anyone is trying to help.

As for the lost caches in my town - perhaps the owner will rethink his decision. He goes to FL for the winter so I don't know who was going to maintain them then anyway. I had agreed to do a few but that wasn't over 4 - think he had 7 out with a couple pending!

Archiving should come when a cache owner (or alternative designed person) does not respond in a timely manner to concerns about the cache or conditions of the cache which need attention....and document action with posting into the log. Some things I think a 5 - 7 day window is reasonable and should be expected. Others I think could be pushed out to 10 - 14 days but that would be the maximum.

In considering keeping the cache active, I think activity on the site by the owner should be considered. If someone is inactive (nothing - sign on, find, etc. - last 3 months) - then even a positive response should be looked at with caution.

My highest respect for GPSFun who has an unbelievable job to read a crystal ball! Thank you for all you do to keep us up and running with sites to find. You are much like a dog show judge - with a thankless job - wrong if you do and wrong if you don't. Again, thanks for all you do.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora
    It is my belief at least one of the caches referred to in this tread was placed on "temporarily unavailable" tonight along with all the others this owner placed. I have been trying to help the owner but he emailed he "just can't get the procedure of the game".

He said he hoped he had "permanently disabled" them. I don't think that really is the case. He is going to pick them all up tomorrow.

A shame - as with a little work - these would have probably all been ok. Actually I had suggestions for all - had he wanted to stay involved.
    Many cachers have a problem with the temproarily disable vs. archive option, even in this forum. it used to be a big pet peeve, but I think people are getting better, I've even educated a few on it!

Anyway, I emailed this cacher, too, with no reponse. Probably that upset him more, but I didn't know he was in contact with anyone else. I just nicely asked for clarification on whether he wanted it disabled or archived.

I have a problem with caches that should be archived but aren't, but if an owner wants to archive his I would not lose any sleep over it. Someone else can place a new one there if it is a worthy spot. IMO unless it is a classic cache that has been loved by many, it might be just a well a totally new one is placed there.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora
    It's my opinion that this cacher has jumped the gun a little, that's for sure. Many of his caches brought you to a nice little spot, that I for one, would otherwise never have seen or known about. It's kinda sad that this has happened, but if he doesn't get it, then he doesn't get it. Thanks to the cachers who tried to assist. That's what we are all about.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Many cachers have a problem with the temproarily disable vs. archive option, even in this forum. it used to be a big pet peeve, but I think people are getting better, I've even educated a few on it!

Anyway, I emailed this cacher, too, with no reponse. Probably that upset him more, but I didn't know he was in contact with anyone else. I just nicely asked for clarification on whether he wanted it disabled or archived.

I have a problem with caches that should be archived but aren't, but if an owner wants to archive his I would not lose any sleep over it. Someone else can place a new one there if it is a worthy spot. IMO unless it is a classic cache that has been loved by many, it might be just a well a totally new one is placed there.
    I was going to post something about how there is a "problem" and "danger" in having newbies start hiding caches when they've only been geocaching a short time . . . but I see that the cacher mentioned has had 73 or so finds so I would think by now he should be aware of how important it is to have good coords, clues and containers (the "Three C's of Caching.)

If the caches are archived I'm thinking that there are more than enough cachers in the area to adopt some of the more primo spots . . . the key words being "if" and "archived."
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."