vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Archiving Caches

Quote Originally Posted by tat

Complaints should always be considered. If the complaint is valid, it does not matter what the source is. However, if the compaint is from the land owner/manager, the cache needs to be disabled until their concerns are met. The land owner/manager has the final say, always.
    I agree that all complaints should be considered. One of the benchmarks though is validity. One of the first steps to establishing that would be to determine it the complanent has a right to complain. For example, I can complain a farmer is driving to fast across his corn field. I can attempt to justify my complaint by saying, " the farmer could lose control of the tractor and careen out into traffic." Further more I could shift focus of the complaint and say," I heard people in town, especially the folks who live in the green house at the end of the corn field complain that the farmer drives his tractor too fast." Is this a valid complaint????? Without investigating the complaint you wouldn't know if there truly is a complaint or I may just making it hard for the farmer to do his farming. Not all sources offer legitimate complaints. No action, in regards to the complaint should be made until the complaint or complanent is validated. To do so in my example would be to punish the farmer without giving the farmer the benefit of due process.

Any others? I knew I should have gotten my degree and gone to law school...lol. Thanks for all the clarifications from everyone and also GPSfun our reviewer and know that there is more discussion to be had here.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Post Complaints

We have not had any troubles with our two caches. But it seems to me that a complaint is only as good as its validity. Otherwise it's just whining. Trying to enhance the sport of caching, seems lately to be pushing the envelope, in trying to make the hides more ingenious. Not everyone is going to agree with some of them. My response comes once again from GPSfun." The sport is big enough for everyone. Just do the caches that appeal to you." A hike to the top of a mountain, or an urban lamp post micro. We have enjoyed this sport tremendously, we hope you do too.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

"Who" complains is not relevant. In fact, everyone should feel encouraged to point out potential problems or rule violations.

What is relevant: Is the complaint valid. The complaint is valid if it is in violation of 1, Federal Law, 2. State Law, 3. Local Law, 4 Geocaching.com rules.

If the complaint is valid, obviously, the cache should be disabled until the violation can be rectified..

If I did not understand or agree that there is a violation, then I would be inclined to disable the cache.

If I was certain that the complaint is someone’s attempt to make their own rules, I would not disable the cache.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    I have temporarily disabled my cahces when I recieved complaints.

But it does depend on tne nature of the complaint.
    Some common complaintsL

Missing log, pen: replace on next maint. visit
    Missing cache: verify as soon as posible
    Wet cache:temporarily disable and fix on next maint. visit
    Got feet wet going to/from the cache: do nothing
    Ticks bugs, etc. at the cache: do nothing
    Access complaints: Temporarily disable until the complaint is resolved.
    Mis-read or mis-understood instructions: Temporarily disable the cache description can be made foolproof.

Complaints regarding GC.com rule violations: i.e. cache in railroad row. Temporarily disable and ask the reviewer for a ruling.

Complaints should always be considered. If the complaint is valid, it does not matter what the source is. However, if the compaint is from the land owner/manager, the cache needs to be disabled until their concerns are met. The land owner/manager has the final say, always.
    Just having a little fun here. . . . Incidentally, I agree with the problem-solutions you presented. Couldn't help myself though so this is what I came up with . . .

Missing log: ask that the geocacher write out his log on birchbark . . . barring that, ask that the next geocacher attempt to make his own paper on site if it is a missing log

Missing pen: ask the geocacher to make a small fire, douse the fire and use the charcoal to write in the logbook

Missing cache: blame it on UFO alien abductions . . . first they abducted us and conducted their anal probe examinations on us . . . and now they're after our caches -- either that or tell the geocacher that he/she must not have realized that you have equipped your cache with a Romulan cloaking device

Wet cache: bring the towel you swiped from the Holiday Inn on the next trip in to dry out the cache

Feet wet going to the cache: advise the cacher that a) in the future they shouldn't go caching in the rain or right after ten days of rain if they want dry feet or b) advise the cacher that you truly are concerned about their feet and on the next trip in you'll pave the trail, erect bridges, etc.

Ticks/bugs at the cache: Immediately hire a cropduster to spray banned DDT . . . and mix in a little Agent Orange for those cachers who may feel as though there's too much vegetation for the cache to hide behind

Access complaints: If the issue is that access is too far or too muddy, etc. then buy a Jeep and leave it at the start of the trailhead for cachers to use. If the issue is landowner permission then attempt to buy the land from the landowner so that access will not be an issue.

Misread cache description: Include a link to the Hooked on Phonics website for those who have problems reading the cache if the issue is theirs . . . or consider hiring a professional writer to write up caches if the issue is your own
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Thanks for all the clarifications from everyone and also GPSfun our reviewer and know that there is more discussion to be had here.
    Yeah - Glad GPSFun is active in this forum. He's a big help to all of us.

Default geez!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Feet wet going to the cache: advise the cacher that a) in the future they shouldn't go caching in the rain or right after ten days of rain if they want dry feet or b) advise the cacher that you truly are concerned about their feet and on the next trip in you'll pave the trail, erect bridges, etc.
    you must have read the log someone wrote yesterday for one of my caches!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Red face

I have found that fireboots work well for wet feet!

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    you must have read the log someone wrote yesterday for one of my caches!
    Actually I missed that . . . which cache?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora
    I have found that fireboots work well for wet feet!
    They're not exactly made for hiking . . . though I do often wear an old pair while four wheeling.