vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Archiving Caches

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I was going to post something about how there is a "problem" and "danger" in having newbies start hiding caches when they've only been geocaching a short time . . . but I see that the cacher mentioned has had 73 or so finds so I would think by now he should be aware of how important it is to have good coords, clues and containers (the "Three C's of Caching.)
    Some people shouldn't fight fires, some people should not cook. The only thing worse than a woman who can cook and won't is a woman who can't cook but will. Some people should not hide caches. It doesn't make them bad people, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Hiding caches just falls into place for some, some have to work hard at it, and others will never get it.

Default We were only trying to help

I too posted what I hoped would be taken as constructive criticism. Not as a complaint. If he took it the wrong way then I'm sorry. Yes, some of his caches were in very nice spots, while others not so much. At any rate if he doesnt want to play the game anymore, then he should not. If he doesn't want his caches to be adopted then removing them is the right thing to do.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora

My highest respect for GPSFun who has an unbelievable job to read a crystal ball! Thank you for all you do to keep us up and running with sites to find. You are much like a dog show judge - with a thankless job - wrong if you do and wrong if you don't. Again, thanks for all you do.
    You're not trying to suck up to GPSFun are you?

Actually, I have to admit I've never met the guy and he definitely has my respect as being very committed to this activity and in his genuine desire to make sure caches are done in the right place and the right way.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Just out of curiosity . . . since as usual I'm totally oblivious to the obvious . . . I know some of the caches were in less than desirable locations (i.e. a front lawn) and some cache containers didn't seem like they would hold up well (i.e. a rusty first aid kit), but was there some cache or incident that set him over the edge? Most caches seemed to be OK -- I particularly liked the view of Mt Katahdin cache and the dam cache.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora
    It is my belief at least one of the caches referred to in this tread was placed on "temporarily unavailable" tonight along with all the others this owner placed. I have been trying to help the owner but he emailed he "just can't get the procedure of the game".

He said he hoped he had "permanently disabled" them. I don't think that really is the case. He is going to pick them all up tomorrow.

A shame - as with a little work - these would have probably all been ok. Actually I had suggestions for all - had he wanted to stay involved.

I had tried to explain to him that it was no joke for someone to struggle with a false or useless clue (better to have none), bad coordinates or an area which was not pleasant or perhaps safe to visit. Was so concerned about this before his posting to withdraw his caches, I even called Becket.

Becket - thank you for the comments, advice and support. Appreciated!

I actually tryed to adopt a soaked cache that the owners had not responded to GPS fun or me. The response I got, after posting to the log on line, was less than pleasant via email. I was accused of being the "cache police". Folks did replace their containers (finally) but not before they bashed me via email. That's a shame when anyone is trying to help.

As for the lost caches in my town - perhaps the owner will rethink his decision. He goes to FL for the winter so I don't know who was going to maintain them then anyway. I had agreed to do a few but that wasn't over 4 - think he had 7 out with a couple pending!

Archiving should come when a cache owner (or alternative designed person) does not respond in a timely manner to concerns about the cache or conditions of the cache which need attention....and document action with posting into the log. Some things I think a 5 - 7 day window is reasonable and should be expected. Others I think could be pushed out to 10 - 14 days but that would be the maximum.

In considering keeping the cache active, I think activity on the site by the owner should be considered. If someone is inactive (nothing - sign on, find, etc. - last 3 months) - then even a positive response should be looked at with caution.

My highest respect for GPSFun who has an unbelievable job to read a crystal ball! Thank you for all you do to keep us up and running with sites to find. You are much like a dog show judge - with a thankless job - wrong if you do and wrong if you don't. Again, thanks for all you do.
    Personally I think there's no real excuse to not "get the procedure of the game" -- there's lots of resources from the FAQ page at Gc.com, the Bulletin board at GC.com, the website here, etc. If someone has questions all they need to do is ask . . . although if they're more patient than me they probably can read through past threads or through the various informational pages and find the answers to their questions . . . and if they're really impatient they can simply e-mail their question to one of the veteran geocachers for some guidance.

What's also a shame is how some folks can't stand any constructive criticism about their caches. Some folks will be nit picky or express their feelings about a cache or its location without sugar coating it (i.e. I have seen logs saying how they didn't like the location and it wasn't very scenic or how there was really no good reason for a cache there . . . or how the cache was too easy to find). Personally, I have mixed feelings. When I like a spot I'll mention it in the logs. If I'm not so thrilled with a spot I won't degrade the cacher or the cache, but will simply log a blah-log like
    "TNLN" -- I don't want to discourage the cacher as he or she may put out a great cache in the future once they see what other cachers are doing. Besides, to me it's just about having a little common decency. I will express my feelings or concerns about a cache though if there are some issues, but I try to be as kind as possible -- but that's just me -- some folks are more blunt and to the point (as you can see from this post, I am not one of those people who is blunt and to the point.)

I will say I want people to let me know if there are problems with my coords (i.e. Multi in a Mile and a Half with wrong coords), clues (no issues here yet although I try to be creative with my clues and not be so patently obvious as saying something like "Hope you don't get stumped") or cache containers (i.e. Sound of Music was sitting in a low-lying puddle and had water infiltration.) I don't take any comments personally, but instead welcome any suggestions . . . which I will then take with a grain of salt.

Did this cacher actually post bad coords or a clue knowingly? I would find it hard to believe someone would do so since the whole purpose is to hide a cache and leave the coords and clue so others can find the cache. DUH.

Becket is truly a great person isn't she . . . I don't think I've ever read an unkind word about her or from her.

Final thought . . . I don't view going to Florida as too big of an issue myself since it seems as though geocaching usually tends to slow down in a normal winter . . . this past winter was a bit of an aberration with the lack of snow though. In a typical winter I would guess if there were any issues they could be resolved in the Spring.

I just happened to have another question . . . what happens to the TBs in these caches and signature items . . . does anyone know if this cacher is getting done entirely or is he just not hiding any more caches?

I had the same question to ask, as he apparently had 2 or 3 TB's in his caches and also a coin or 2. I hope he has enough sense to place them in other caches for the benefit of other cachers as well as the owners of the TB's and coins. It's too bad he had to take things in the wrong way.But maybe he did have to leave in a hurry as he said.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I think I've figured out what cache owner you're talking about.

We did several of his caches a couple of weeks ago, and at one, he was mowing his lawn and stopped to talk to us. He was very pleasant and seemed to enjoy caching.

But he "got the bug" while in Florida, and we all know that caching there is different. Maybe that has something to do with the problem...

Default Brainstorming....

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Did this cacher actually post bad coords or a clue knowingly?
    Yes on clue. At least, that's my opinion.

For instance, the hint might be:

[The cache is not behind the good green door.]

and the cache is literally placed on the other side of the door.

Couple of things though....what if there are two ways to get to the cache....not likely since the door was shut and locked and leads to a business type of establishment. Cachers would normally come from one direction, and that would be about 30 ft. from a strip of town maintained pavement.

The cacher could have gotten turned around while placing the cache and just didn't realize of the placement and it's relation to the "door"....unlikely as well since the cacher would have to pass by the "door" in order to leave after placing the cache.

Maybe the cacher just forgot to update the hint...not likely since the hint remained unchanged after several logs about it and a maintenance icon being placed on the cache on May 21 with the following instructions, "Hint needs to be revised...it does not apply."

Maybe the cacher won the lottery...

There are several caches that say "go left", "take the trail after the big tree", "on the back side of the hill", and stuff of that sort. And you are right, they assume you will come in the same way you did. Cache hiders should give a better direction, such as NSEW or something that can not be misunderstood.