vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cachers Who Don't Sign The Log, Do we let them keep their finds OR

Angry Cachers Who Don't Sign The Log, Do we let them keep their finds OR

I have a problem there is a cacher in Moncton who is logging caches that they haven't signed. It's not a few missed it is systemic. Do I allow this person to keep their log or not.

Misha
    Misha

Email and ask why and then if you want to be nice say if they can describe every hide you'll let them keep them. I'm not sure I could be nice!

It is just a game, but cheating just cheapens everyone else's finds.

I think that most of us are of the opinion that if you do not sign the log then you have not found the cache. There are a few exceptions that have been "worked out" by the finder and owner.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    I think that most of us are of the opinion that if you do not sign the log then you have not found the cache. There are a few exceptions that have been "worked out" by the finder and owner.
    I agree. I always thought it was common knowledge that you were suppose to sign the log unless there was a good reason why you could not.

It sounds like this guy may not really be finding the caches if he is doing this quite often.
    Blazing Troll

Cool I will agree

I too had a situation where a very prolific cacher logged one of my caches but never signed the log. I would like to believe it was just an oversight on their part. I have always subscribed to that philosophy that if I don't personally touch the cache and log book then it's not a find. I even had a cache that I found in the first year that I was told by the owner was picked up and I was in the right spot. They let me log it, but I later deleted the log just because. Of course this was by my own choice. I guess it's an individuals choice as to how strict they want to be on logging. After all it's only a game.
    Happy Trails!

Maybe the person never learned how to spell? Or they have really really bad penmanship?

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    Maybe the person never learned how to spell? Or they have really really bad penmanship?
    I know a few of my logs no one could read but myself. I get all jittery from the excitement of finding a cache!

I have to concur with Brad. If there are no "winners" or "losers" in this game, how can one possibly "cheat", and who would they be "cheating"--if anyone, themselves. I've got a couple finds from my first year or so that were with a group and I didn't actually sign the book. I soon decided that I don't think this is right for me, so I don't do it anymore--no sign, no log--but that is just me. If adding one more find to their found count by logging my cache w/o visiting the beautiful Kennebec river, makes someone feel better, I hope they feel free to--I won't call the cache police.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I agree. I always thought it was common knowledge that you were suppose to sign the log unless there was a good reason why you could not.

It sounds like this guy may not really be finding the caches if he is doing this quite often.
    I agree with attroll who agrees with Sabby.

This is only a game, but even games have "rules" and to me personally finding the cache and physically signing the log and then logging the find on line is part of the "rules."

Personally, if someone is logging finds that he or she hasn't really found I can't see them getting a lot of enjoyment out of this hobby since half of the fun for me is finding the hidden cache and having that "Ah-ha" moment and the other half of the fun is in discovering new spots which may not be listed in any booklet or brochure put out by any Maine tourism agency . . . and then the other "half" of the fun is the journey on the backroads trying to find the cache, another "half" is the misadventures I have along the way and the final "half" is meeting all of the other demented geocachers out there.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team
    I have to concur with Brad. If there are no "winners" or "losers" in this game, how can one possibly "cheat", and who would they be "cheating"--if anyone, themselves. I've got a couple finds from my first year or so that were with a group and I didn't actually sign the book. I soon decided that I don't think this is right for me, so I don't do it anymore--no sign, no log--but that is just me. If adding one more find to their found count by logging my cache w/o visiting the beautiful Kennebec river, makes someone feel better, I hope they feel free to--I won't call the cache police.
    The "Cache Police" -- that would be Hollara, right?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."