Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Cachers Who Don't Sign The Log, Do we let them keep their finds OR

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I know a few of my logs no one could read but myself. I get all jittery from the excitement of finding a cache!
    HaHa . . . I thought I was the only one who scribbled out a log and looked back it and figured it was barely readable . . . usually it's not because of the excitement of finding the cache as it is with me trying to write out a log as quickly as possible while being eaten alive by the mosquitoes and blackflies.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misha
    I have a problem there is a cacher in Moncton who is logging caches that they haven't signed. It's not a few missed it is systemic. Do I allow this person to keep their log or not.

    Misha
    I agree with the other comments - you need to sign the log.

    Having said that, however, we rarely sign the logs in micro-micro caches as, being "older", and having arthritic fingers, it's too hard to get the log out, write real small, then get the log back in! LOL! (I usually state this in my online log, and advise the cache owner that I'm perfectly willing to email them with sufficient proof that we actually found the cache.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I agree with attroll who agrees with Sabby.


    Personally, if someone is logging finds that he or she hasn't really found I can't see them getting a lot of enjoyment out of this hobby since half of the fun for me is finding the hidden cache and having that "Ah-ha" moment and the other half of the fun is in discovering new spots which may not be listed in any booklet or brochure put out by any Maine tourism agency . . . and then the other "half" of the fun is the journey on the backroads trying to find the cache, another "half" is the misadventures I have along the way and the final "half" is meeting all of the other demented geocachers out there.

    Hey how many "half's in a whole anyway" ?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Who cares if they don't really find it. We know it doesn't count if the log isn't signed and if they are doing it to make their numbers look better then they won't last long at this game. The only time it really matters as far as a log on line is FTF. Their loss of all the fun really involved with this sport. I agree that a nice e-mail would help, maybe they don't realize that the book needs to be signed. When I started I didn't realize it was that important and didn't know what to say.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Hey how many "half's in a whole anyway" ?
    Hey, this is caching. there is always more than one hole!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Having said that, however, we rarely sign the logs in micro-micro caches as, being "older", and having arthritic fingers, it's too hard to get the log out, write real small, then get the log back in! LOL! (I usually state this in my online log, and advise the cache owner that I'm perfectly willing to email them with sufficient proof that we actually found the cache.
    Hmmm, so if you see a cache up in a tree, do you log it if you can't climb? If you can see an underwater cache and can't swim?

    Actually, maybe this is a reason for banning micros. It's demeaning to those with big fingers or arthritis. Or, like we have to have several languages, maybe hiders should be forced to hide different size caches at each location.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Hmmm, so if you see a cache up in a tree, do you log it if you can't climb? If you can see an underwater cache and can't swim?
    Just seeing a cache is a lot different from holding it in your hand. We've found several caches with screw-on tops that we just couldn't get opened. Should we not log those?

    If we find a cache that is thoroughly soaked and the log has deteriorated into mush - can we not count that cachce as a find because we are unable to sign the log? (We've found quite a few of these - and have just left our signature Maine Geocacher Permit as proof we actually were in the cache).

    No - I find no fault with our standards.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Just seeing a cache is a lot different from holding it in your hand. We've found several caches with screw-on tops that we just couldn't get opened. Should we not log those?

    If we find a cache that is thoroughly soaked and the log has deteriorated into mush - can we not count that cachce as a find because we are unable to sign the log? (We've found quite a few of these - and have just left our signature Maine Geocacher Permit as proof we actually were in the cache).

    No - I find no fault with our standards.
    That's between you and the owner. The line between right and wrong vary with every situation.

    Personally, I have fought with a few lids but always managed to open them. So I'm not sure I'd log the find or not in that case. But if it started happening often, I'd be carrying a jar opener in my bag! I put some tweezers in my bag for the micros, but have not used them yet.

    I've put a dry sheet of paper with my log on it in wet caches. It's not the actual log, but it works for me. of course, if the cache is that wet, my log will probably be ruined by the time anyone checks it anyway.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central, Maine
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I've put a dry sheet of paper with my log on it in wet caches. It's not the actual log, but it works for me. of course, if the cache is that wet, my log will probably be ruined by the time anyone checks it anyway.
    I actually just did that with the Cusuptic Boat Launch cache. And considering the condition of the container the log is probably already wet with all the rain we've had even though I did place it in a baggie.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Hey how many "half's in a whole anyway" ?
    I was wondering if anyone would pick up on my attempt at humor.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •