vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cachers Who Don't Sign The Log, Do we let them keep their finds OR

brdad : Hey, this is caching. there is always more than one hole!

Don't forget more than one "third mossy stone on the left", and more than one "giant spruce", and more than one "stone wall", and more than one "grassy knoll after the blue blaze"...

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag
    But I also don't like the idea that "credit" for a find depends on an ever-increasingly commercialized site that allows whimsical cache planters to erase any record of my finds. A nice friendly "contested" annotation, or showing it in all struck-out text I wouldn't mind, but to just erase it - Too "1984" for my liking.
    This reminded me of an incident a few weeks back where I logged a legitimate find (signed log book, posted on-line) at a certain rest stop which shall remain nameless. In my on-line log I wrote how this spot seemed to have some questionable activities going on . . . I did this as an advisory for other geocachers . . . not to disuade them from caching there, but rather to give them some advance knowledge.

A day or two later I just happened to notice that my number count seemed to be off -- turns out the new geocache hider didn't like what I posted and deleted it without notifying me.

The long and short of it . . . I reposted a simple "Found it" log . . . and also let GPSfun know about this potential problem site and he posted a very neutral advisory note on the cache page.

I was a bit peeved with the whole idea of someone just arbitrarily deleting my find and wonder if others couldn't decide to do this . . . for example if I decided that I really hated Sudonim (I picked him because who can hate Andy -- I mean he's like the nicest guy I have ever met) and opted to delete all of his finds at my caches what would prevent this from happening? Other than going back and checking each and every cache entry would there be any way to tell right away who had deleted your logs and finds? This whole experience left a bit of a bitter taste in my proverbial mouth.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Hey, wait. What happened to all of my "found" logs for Unity???
    Half of them have been deleted
    (Oh, wait, I just haven't done them yet)

The only one who can delete your logs and finds is the cache owner of that particular cache that you posted in.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

firefighterjake : at a certain rest stop which shall remain nameless.

Okay, scary story time...

At a certain also-nameless ex-weigh-station in MA, I once stopped in to check on a TB-oriented cache for anything new. Of course, naturally I do this alone rather than having someone with me (as I would 99.9% of the time - Don't hike alone, kids!)

A couple other cars have parked there, as usual, so I think nothing of it. I get out of my car and head toward the woods. At that point I notice a guy get out of his truck and walk in the same general direction - No big deal, yet, just a coincidence.

I walk through the woods a short way (the cache only lies a quarter mile from where I parked), and this guy seems to have basically followed me, even though I've taken a twisty path. So, not wanting to lead him right to the cache, I decide to look natural - I stop and do what most people do at highway rest-areas, discretely against a tree.

The guy also stops, and at first I thought he too had decided to water the plants - A moment later, I realize he has decided to do something entirely different, the whole time staring right at me. No joking - I had a guy "rubbing one out", 20ft away while watching me pee.

CREEPY!!!

Needless to say, I immediately "stowed my gear" and took off at a fast walk to my car - And he tried to follow (though due to his pants, only at a slow waddle, so didn't get any closer).

Thumbs down

Ok, one word....EWWWW!

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag
    firefighterjake : at a certain rest stop which shall remain nameless.

Okay, scary story time...

At a certain also-nameless ex-weigh-station in MA, I once stopped in to check on a TB-oriented cache for anything new. Of course, naturally I do this alone rather than having someone with me (as I would 99.9% of the time - Don't hike alone, kids!)

A couple other cars have parked there, as usual, so I think nothing of it. I get out of my car and head toward the woods. At that point I notice a guy get out of his truck and walk in the same general direction - No big deal, yet, just a coincidence.

I walk through the woods a short way (the cache only lies a quarter mile from where I parked), and this guy seems to have basically followed me, even though I've taken a twisty path. So, not wanting to lead him right to the cache, I decide to look natural - I stop and do what most people do at highway rest-areas, discretely against a tree.

The guy also stops, and at first I thought he too had decided to water the plants - A moment later, I realize he has decided to do something entirely different, the whole time staring right at me. No joking - I had a guy "rubbing one out", 20ft away while watching me pee.

CREEPY!!!

Needless to say, I immediately "stowed my gear" and took off at a fast walk to my car - And he tried to follow (though due to his pants, only at a slow waddle, so didn't get any closer).
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by MoxieMan
    Ok, one word....EWWWW!
    My exact thought as I was reading that post . . . although then again one might feel flattered.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    My exact thought as I was reading that post . . . although then again one might feel flattered.
    that's not really something I would find myself being proud of....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

this may seem off topic, but is there a way to tell if someone deletes your post? or will you just see your numbers go down?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    this may seem off topic, but is there a way to tell if someone deletes your post? or will you just see your numbers go down?
    I didn't know it was possible to delete someone else's post.