Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Annual Turtle Migration

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    abbot me
    Posts
    754

    Default Annual Turtle Migration

    Last night we went to Bingham for supper on our way home we spotted a snapping turtle in the road.Stopping the car in the middle of the road and putting the four ways on I got out and persuaded the turtle to return to the stream.Mean while the other half is telling me I'm crazy and that we'll probaly be run over by a log truck.Another car came along and after giving me the thumbs up gaurded the other direction until the turtle was safly back in the water.This is the second snapper that I've seen in the last couple of days,which means its that time of the year to lay their eggs.I wonder where they laid them before there was hi-ways???

    So I guest the moral of the story is in your travels watch out for these awesome creatures.As we all know they don't move to fast.

  2. #2
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker
    Last night we went to Bingham for supper on our way home we spotted a snapping turtle in the road.Stopping the car in the middle of the road and putting the four ways on I got out and persuaded the turtle to return to the stream.Mean while the other half is telling me I'm crazy and that we'll probaly be run over by a log truck.Another car came along and after giving me the thumbs up gaurded the other direction until the turtle was safly back in the water.This is the second snapper that I've seen in the last couple of days,which means its that time of the year to lay their eggs.I wonder where they laid them before there was hi-ways???

    So I guest the moral of the story is in your travels watch out for these awesome creatures.As we all know they don't move to fast.
    They dont move fast until you go to pick them up to move them and that head comes whipping around. Becareful moving them and remember they may look like they are just sitting there but I left a snapper on the side of the road today as it was laying eggs. It was a back road so I dont think it mattered but I also moved a painted turlte of the Bradely road today only I got weird looks. Thanks for the heads up.

  3. #3

    Default

    Our neighbor found a little painted turtle in the road as Donna and I were going for a walk the other day. He was no bigger than a geocoin! He was the cutest little thing I have ever seen!! Just like a regular adult turtle but all shrunk down. We put him down by the lake and he was gone when we came back 15 minutes later. I always stop to help turtles across the road, they are just too cute!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    temp
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Seems to be lots of turtles around this year as opposed to past years. We've relocated 5 painted and one small snapping turtle. I have seen numerous turtle road fatalities and that real irks me, these creatures aren't exactly running out in front of cars as mentioned earlier so they must be targets for those less caring. I understand accidents happen but lets face it, they are not hard to avoid.

    We (wife, kids and myself) always help them cross the road or move them to quiet little ponds. Hopefully, and it does sound like the case here, many other folks help them out too. Remember, turtles are known to carry botulism, Soap and Water is very effective in removing that bad as well as baby wipes.

    Long live the reptiles!!!!! LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    If you are going to Nature Walk cache in Orrington and approach the Fields Pond Nature Center via Fields Pond Rd/Brewer Lake Rd in Orrington watch carefully beyond the power lines and in the area the road runs through a swamp - turtles abound on the edge of the road in that area this time of year. Awesome creatures!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    I helped a young snapper cross the road about two weeks ago and spotted a painted turtle already across the road just a day or two back -- and I'm with TRF, I can never figure out how or why so many turtles are squashed in the road since they're not darting out in front of you, don't cross at night (at least I don't remember ever seeing any cross at night) and it is pretty easy to avoid them.

    When I recently did the Rest at Peace 2 cache there were three or four turtles sunning themselves on a piece of wood jutting out in the little pond leading up to the cemetery . . . unfortunately I didn't get a picture.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    temp
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    When I recently did the Rest at Peace 2 cache there were three or four turtles sunning themselves on a piece of wood jutting out in the little pond leading up to the cemetery . . . unfortunately I didn't get a picture.
    I think I saw the exact same 3 or 4 turtles,,,LOL...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I think I saw the exact same 3 or 4 turtles,,,LOL...
    You probably did since I was dogging you on more than one cache that day . . . and as usual I was behind you getting the STF.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    We ALWAYS stop to help turtles across the road.

    But we never did get to log the locationless cache about helping turtles.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Topsham
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    They dont move fast until you go to pick them up to move them and that head comes whipping around. Becareful moving them and remember they may look like they are just sitting there but I left a snapper on the side of the road today as it was laying eggs. It was a back road so I dont think it mattered but I also moved a painted turlte of the Bradely road today only I got weird looks. Thanks for the heads up.

    Been there done that!!! YIKES!!! Geesh, just trying to help the turtles, they don't need to be so darn mean.

    AND why do people run them over??? Poor things.

    Is there a joke out there "Why did the turtle cross the road......?"

    Team Teebow 2 (Cheryl)
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •