vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annual Turtle Migration

Hybrid View

Default Annual Turtle Migration

Last night we went to Bingham for supper on our way home we spotted a snapping turtle in the road.Stopping the car in the middle of the road and putting the four ways on I got out and persuaded the turtle to return to the stream.Mean while the other half is telling me I'm crazy and that we'll probaly be run over by a log truck.Another car came along and after giving me the thumbs up gaurded the other direction until the turtle was safly back in the water.This is the second snapper that I've seen in the last couple of days,which means its that time of the year to lay their eggs.I wonder where they laid them before there was hi-ways???

So I guest the moral of the story is in your travels watch out for these awesome creatures.As we all know they don't move to fast.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker
    Last night we went to Bingham for supper on our way home we spotted a snapping turtle in the road.Stopping the car in the middle of the road and putting the four ways on I got out and persuaded the turtle to return to the stream.Mean while the other half is telling me I'm crazy and that we'll probaly be run over by a log truck.Another car came along and after giving me the thumbs up gaurded the other direction until the turtle was safly back in the water.This is the second snapper that I've seen in the last couple of days,which means its that time of the year to lay their eggs.I wonder where they laid them before there was hi-ways???

So I guest the moral of the story is in your travels watch out for these awesome creatures.As we all know they don't move to fast.
    They dont move fast until you go to pick them up to move them and that head comes whipping around. Becareful moving them and remember they may look like they are just sitting there but I left a snapper on the side of the road today as it was laying eggs. It was a back road so I dont think it mattered but I also moved a painted turlte of the Bradely road today only I got weird looks. Thanks for the heads up.

Our neighbor found a little painted turtle in the road as Donna and I were going for a walk the other day. He was no bigger than a geocoin! He was the cutest little thing I have ever seen!! Just like a regular adult turtle but all shrunk down. We put him down by the lake and he was gone when we came back 15 minutes later. I always stop to help turtles across the road, they are just too cute!

Seems to be lots of turtles around this year as opposed to past years. We've relocated 5 painted and one small snapping turtle. I have seen numerous turtle road fatalities and that real irks me, these creatures aren't exactly running out in front of cars as mentioned earlier so they must be targets for those less caring. I understand accidents happen but lets face it, they are not hard to avoid.

We (wife, kids and myself) always help them cross the road or move them to quiet little ponds. Hopefully, and it does sound like the case here, many other folks help them out too. Remember, turtles are known to carry botulism, Soap and Water is very effective in removing that bad as well as baby wipes.

Long live the reptiles!!!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    We (wife, kids and myself) always help them cross the road or move them to quiet little ponds. Hopefully, and it does sound like the case here, many other folks help them out too. Remember, turtles are known to carry botulism, Soap and Water is very effective in removing that bad as well as baby wipes.

Long live the reptiles!!!!! LOL
    If you leave turtle soup out too long you may get botulism
    Lick your fingers after picking up a live one and you may get Salmonella

Moxie and I saw a turtle today on a walk. We also saw a snake skin that was about 2 feet long !! I am glad we saw the turtle and not the snake

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup
    If you leave turtle soup out too long you may get botulism
    Lick your fingers after picking up a live one and you may get Salmonella

Moxie and I saw a turtle today on a walk. We also saw a snake skin that was about 2 feet long !! I am glad we saw the turtle and not the snake

Whew!! Thats much better. At least I don't have to wash my hands now!!!

Its the baked potato we have to watch out for:
    BOTULISM

Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by the toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. This toxin affects the nerves and if untreated, can cause paralysis and respiratory failure. Each year, U.S. health care providers report an average of 110 cases of food, infant, and wound botulism to CDC. About 10 to 30 outbreaks of foodborne botulism are reported every year. Although this illness does not occur frequently, it can be fatal if not treated quickly and properly.
    Transmission Often, cases of foodborne botulism come from home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans, beets, and corn. C. botulinum is anaerobic, which means it can survive and grow with little or no oxygen. Therefore, it can survive very well in sealed containers. Outbreaks of the infection, however, are often from more unusual sources such as chili peppers, tomatoes, and improperly handled baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil.

Thanks for clearing that up...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    They dont move fast until you go to pick them up to move them and that head comes whipping around. Becareful moving them and remember they may look like they are just sitting there but I left a snapper on the side of the road today as it was laying eggs. It was a back road so I dont think it mattered but I also moved a painted turlte of the Bradely road today only I got weird looks. Thanks for the heads up.

Been there done that!!! YIKES!!! Geesh, just trying to help the turtles, they don't need to be so darn mean.

AND why do people run them over??? Poor things.

Is there a joke out there "Why did the turtle cross the road......?"

Team Teebow 2 (Cheryl)
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I also moved a painted turlte of the Bradely road today only I got weird looks.
    I'm not sure I see how these two things are related. Are you sure the weird looks had anything to do with moving the turtle
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    They dont move fast until you go to pick them up to move them and that head comes whipping around. .
    Yep, that is for sure! I tried moving a BIG one out of the road years agao and WOW, they can move that head and neck at lightening speed. Next time I will just try to use a stick or something to get them to the side.

People are so mean. Just slow down if you know there might be turtles in the area. We live near a swamp and we saw a big snapper on the side, most likely laying eggs.

My daughter wants to make turle crossing signs. I wonder how long those would last with the teens around here?
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

If you are going to Nature Walk cache in Orrington and approach the Fields Pond Nature Center via Fields Pond Rd/Brewer Lake Rd in Orrington watch carefully beyond the power lines and in the area the road runs through a swamp - turtles abound on the edge of the road in that area this time of year. Awesome creatures!