vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annual Turtle Migration

Great job on all the turtle stories.I think you are all on the right track when you say turtles don't jump in front of a vehicle.People run over turtles on purpose,for what reason I couldn't tell you.

When I was in high school four of us friends were riding around on back roads.Just doing what kids do.One of the guys saids stop,he then jumps out of the car with his rifle.With out warning he fires at a turtle sitting on a log and kills it.I asked him why did you do that,he saids why not,whats the big deal.That same friend went on to kill his x-girlfriends new boyfriend,just one small step from turtles to people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I also moved a painted turlte of the Bradely road today only I got weird looks.
    I'm not sure I see how these two things are related. Are you sure the weird looks had anything to do with moving the turtle
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    We (wife, kids and myself) always help them cross the road or move them to quiet little ponds. Hopefully, and it does sound like the case here, many other folks help them out too. Remember, turtles are known to carry botulism, Soap and Water is very effective in removing that bad as well as baby wipes.

Long live the reptiles!!!!! LOL
    If you leave turtle soup out too long you may get botulism
    Lick your fingers after picking up a live one and you may get Salmonella

Moxie and I saw a turtle today on a walk. We also saw a snake skin that was about 2 feet long !! I am glad we saw the turtle and not the snake

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup
    If you leave turtle soup out too long you may get botulism
    Lick your fingers after picking up a live one and you may get Salmonella

Moxie and I saw a turtle today on a walk. We also saw a snake skin that was about 2 feet long !! I am glad we saw the turtle and not the snake

Whew!! Thats much better. At least I don't have to wash my hands now!!!

Its the baked potato we have to watch out for:
    BOTULISM

Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by the toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. This toxin affects the nerves and if untreated, can cause paralysis and respiratory failure. Each year, U.S. health care providers report an average of 110 cases of food, infant, and wound botulism to CDC. About 10 to 30 outbreaks of foodborne botulism are reported every year. Although this illness does not occur frequently, it can be fatal if not treated quickly and properly.
    Transmission Often, cases of foodborne botulism come from home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans, beets, and corn. C. botulinum is anaerobic, which means it can survive and grow with little or no oxygen. Therefore, it can survive very well in sealed containers. Outbreaks of the infection, however, are often from more unusual sources such as chili peppers, tomatoes, and improperly handled baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil.

Thanks for clearing that up...LOL

Had to go back in time to find this thread....but it's that time of year again....and unfortunately today I came across a large snapper that had been run over by a car. Hate to see this....turtles are special creatures....although maybe not the brightest of all reptiles. So just a heads up....watch out for turtles laying their eggs on the side of the road.

Default Route 105

If you are traveling between the Togus Ponds on Route 105, watch out for snappers. One got hit today. I always put a warning out on the teacher's e-mails. One snapper was laying her eggs on the side of the road this morning. What are the chances of those eggs surviving? Does anyone ever mark the nesting sites so that cars don't park in those areas? I carry a blanket in my car, but have only moved one turtle. Those big ones scare me. There was an article in the paper last year about how to help these turtles cross the road. I can't seem to find it. I'll post it when I come across it.

i saw quite a few turtles taking the highway today coming back from baileyville, saw a few really big ones too.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

When my pond finally thawed out this spring after 100 feet of snow, I found our turtle dead. He looked fine but wasn't alive. Do you suppose he woke up and then drowned because the pond was still iced over? I felt pretty bad for him.

Lightbulb Why'd the turtle cross the road?

I'm not sure why the turtle died like that...
    Some asked when the thread started why they lay eggs in roads...obviously we've deduced they like the sandy edges, in fact, turtles used to lay eggs on sandy soil beaches, which now have camps or second homes over them. Turtles can get accustomed to the traffic, but they don't like people, so they're more likely to lay on a road side than at your dock side.
    Thanks everyone for doing your part to help the little guys out in finding more suitable places for their babies to be born!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods