Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Annual Turtle Migration

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    535

    Default

    So, have we figured out the age old question yet?

    Why did the turtle cross the road?
























    Opps, wrong critter!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brunswick, ME
    Posts
    64

    Default

    We were hiking at Dodge Point in Newcastle, there were 8 turtles sunning themselves on logs in the little ice pond. I couldn't believe how many.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calais, Maine
    Posts
    12

    Default Turtles

    I was traveling down the 191 to Machias today and had to direct traffic around a snapping Turtle.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Turtles

    I saw this thread yesterday and this morning a huge snapping turtle came out of Three Mile Pond where I live and was headed across my lawn when I let the dogs out at around 5:00 AM. Nick the older of the two and a heck of lot smarter stood back from a distance and just barked. Bo, the reckless-go-after-porcupines youngster had never seen one of these and woke up the whole lake with his howling. This turtle has a head about 7 inches in diameter and makes a nasty sounding hissing noise. I took a large snow shovel and tried to get her/him on it without success. In fact it grabbed the handle of the shovel and wouldn't let go so I managed to drag it back to the lake. This turtle has to weigh 80 pounds or more! If it comes out again I'll take pictures. anyone want to come by for a swim? Yikes! I think they come out in force during the summer equinox (June 21st) It's a shame drivers are so inattentive they run over them. If anybody hit the turtle I just observed they would damage their car!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  5. #25
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I saw this thread yesterday and this morning a huge snapping turtle came out of Three Mile Pond where I live and was headed across my lawn when I let the dogs out at around 5:00 AM. Nick the older of the two and a heck of lot smarter stood back from a distance and just barked. Bo, the reckless-go-after-porcupines youngster had never seen one of these and woke up the whole lake with his howling. This turtle has a head about 7 inches in diameter and makes a nasty sounding hissing noise. I took a large snow shovel and tried to get her/him on it without success. In fact it grabbed the handle of the shovel and wouldn't let go so I managed to drag it back to the lake. This turtle has to weigh 80 pounds or more! If it comes out again I'll take pictures. anyone want to come by for a swim? Yikes! I think they come out in force during the summer equinox (June 21st) It's a shame drivers are so inattentive they run over them. If anybody hit the turtle I just observed they would damage their car!

    A turtle of that size would have made a great soup. Sorry I couldnt resist.

    On another note.....

    How do you expect us to pay attention to the road while geocaching, with all the gps, laptop, palmpilot, phone a friend going on its a wonder that cachers are the worst drivers ever. LOL

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    A turtle of that size would have made a great soup. Sorry I couldnt resist.
    Yes!

    and then afterwards you can line the shell with tin foil and wear it as a helmet to protect yourself from those alien signals!!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    abbot me
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Coming up rt.15 from Guildford this afternoon a sun turtle was crossing the road at there usually speed of a mile a week. Traffic was real heavy and I was afraid the turtle wouldn't make it, so I turn the truck around and headed back. My neighbor from up the road was already turning his car around and was the first on the scene. I blocked traffic with the pickup while he grabbed the turtle and carried it to safety. Nice to see a lot of us care.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Albion, Maine
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Coming up rt.15 from Guildford this afternoon a sun turtle was crossing the road at there usually speed of a mile a week. Traffic was real heavy and I was afraid the turtle wouldn't make it, so I turn the truck around and headed back. My neighbor from up the road was already turning his car around and was the first on the scene. I blocked traffic with the pickup while he grabbed the turtle and carried it to safety. Nice to see a lot of us care.
    We've got a local turtle crossing, apparently instead of swimming under the bridge, the turtles(Sun and snapping turtles) like to portage over the road. So far we've moved 8 big sunnies, soon the little hatchlings will be found and we pick those up in great numbers and place them in various ponds in the area. My daughters get a great sense of accomplishment helping the turtles and the wife and I feel that we are passing along some great values to the kids by respecting wildlife and helping when we can...
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Topsham
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    They dont move fast until you go to pick them up to move them and that head comes whipping around. .
    Yep, that is for sure! I tried moving a BIG one out of the road years agao and WOW, they can move that head and neck at lightening speed. Next time I will just try to use a stick or something to get them to the side.

    People are so mean. Just slow down if you know there might be turtles in the area. We live near a swamp and we saw a big snapper on the side, most likely laying eggs.

    My daughter wants to make turle crossing signs. I wonder how long those would last with the teens around here?
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    abbot me
    Posts
    754

    Default Tuttle sighting

    Saw a large female snapper laying eggs on the shoulder of the Barrows Falls rd. on my way home today. It is surely the season for laying there eggs. This reminded me of a story.

    When I first moved to Abbot in the eighties, there was a man named John Rogers. He was known as the turtle trapper. Every summer John would show up here from his home in upstate N.Y. He owned a small camp on Davis Stream in Willimatic. Maybe some of you knew him. Each summer he would travel to all the lakes, rivers, swamps and any other place turtles reside all over this State. He would catch snapping turtles and load them into a large wooden box built on the back of his pickup truck. Then he would haul them to Iowa, Nebraska, and other Midwestern states, where he sold them to ( I believe Polish people ) for food. They considered Turtle meat a delicacy. This he did for quite a few years, but each year the market dwindled more and more, until one year it wasn't profitable any more. I believe this was due to the fact that the younger generation wasn't into eating turtles as their elders were. I have seen him leave the Abbot area with a half to three quarters of a ton of turtles at a time on his truck, only to return in a few weeks and do it all over again. Imagine the hurt this must of put on the turtle population?

    Besides catching turtles, John was a fur trapper, bait fisherman, crayfish farmer, and any other thing he could do to earn a living from Mother Nature. I thought at the time he represented everything I wished to be. A true Grizzly Adams, living off the land ( cause John came from a wealthy family, had an allowance and didn't need to work ). This made this type of live style much easier, then actually making a living from these endeavors.

    WOW !! How the years have changed my outlook on life. The Dali Lama has said that we will keep doing it (meaning life I assume ) over and over until one day we get it right. I think I'm getting closer all the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •