vb:literal>

Thread: Cache Maintenance

d’76 Guest

Default Cache Maintenance

I have had this week off from work and had the oppurtunity to find a few caches in the general area of greater Bangor. I had a few that I couldnt find and a few that the hint just didnt make sense.

I think that what we need to remember as responsible geocache placers is that the hint should be brief since some folks still have to decode by hand and we need to make sure the hint is correct and clear. I would rather have no hint than a bad hint. Remember that a hint is used for what ever you want it to be. Some choose to read it right away while others prefer to look around a bit.

I would also like to mention that it would hurt to check on your caches on a regular basis, and not wait till someone has a problem with it. It gives you a chance to restock and get ride of the trash. I check on my caches when ever I am around them. Some will say well good for you Dave, my caches are to far for me to go and just check on them. Well you knew you would have to check on them when you placed them. I went to a couple the other day that folks had reported dnfs on and the owner never even went to check on them. Not you JAke. I am refering to others.

Please folks stay on top of the maintenance of your caches other wise they are just geotrash.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I would also like to mention that it would hurt to check on your caches on a regular basis,
    are you going to beat us for checking on them or not checking on them... I'm confused...

I for one would like to agree with you on your maintanence comments, I like to check on mine at least every other month DNF's or not. Although it's not all about the cache for me, I do enjoy finding a nice prize every now and then, and it gets old finding camoflauged trash cans all the time.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    are you going to beat us for checking on them or not checking on them... I'm confused...

I for one would like to agree with you on your maintanence comments, I like to check on mine at least every other month DNF's or not. Although it's not all about the cache for me, I do enjoy finding a nice prize every now and then, and it gets old finding camoflauged trash cans all the time.
    '
    Ohh Hiram. I ment wouldnt

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    '
    Ohh Hiram. I ment wouldnt
    phew... that's good, I thought you were just going to hand out random beatings to those who have caches hidden.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    phew... that's good, I thought you were just going to hand out random beatings to those who have caches hidden.
    No, looks like he's making you earn your beatings

I agree with Dave . . . in fact I've made it an unofficial policy of mine to check in on my cache a few days or week or two after I've first placed the cache to insure cachers are replacing the camouflage as I left it and then I have (and intend to keep doing) check each cache in the Spring to make sure it's ready to go for the spring-summer and fall months when it seems as though most geocachers are active. I also check in on the cache whenever I am alerted to a possible problem (i.e. water penetration, multiple DNFs, DNFs from veteran geocachers, Dave1976 standing outside on my front deck pelting my house with rocks and leaving burning piles of poo in paperbags, etc. ) Of course, sometimes time and distance prevent checking these caches within a day or two . . . but I try to get to them as soon as possible.

RE: The hint. I've noticed a number of caches coming through now have hints that are not really all that useful in finding the cache. They're more like hints as to where to park. I suppose that's good, but I always figured the hint was designed as an additional aid to finding the cache itself . . . just my take on things.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."