vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT Caches?

Default AT Caches?

Hello Everyone, does anyone have any info about caches near or on the AT? Thanks!

Unhappy Bad news

Caches aren't allowed on the AT
    Happy Trails!

or the Allagash...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

That is correct you can not put caches on the AT unless it is a virtual or a puzzle style cache where it does not involve getting off the trail and tromping through the woods or hiding something.
    Blazing Troll

Actually there are a few just off the AT that I know of
    1. Bemis GC1829
    2. Twisted Sister Cedar Stump GCGR7W
    3. Fallen Arch GC4E52

Those are 3 that I have done and they are on the AT . Not sure of any more but I think there may be a couple more. And supposedly they are not allowed so why these are there I can't answer that. But I can't see any difference in having a cache along the AT is any different then having hikers camp anywhere along the AT that they want. But that is just my opinion,the damage that is done by these caches from what I saw is minimal at best and if you weren't looking for them you would never know that they were there.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Actually there are a few just off the AT that I know of
    1. Bemis GC1829
    2. Twisted Sister Cedar Stump GCGR7W
    3. Fallen Arch GC4E52
    Yes all three of these are right on the AT the only one I could see that might be allowable would be Twister Sister and that probably should be either.

Supposedly they are not allowed so why these are there I can't answer that. But I can't see any difference in having a cache along the AT is any different then having hikers camp anywhere along the AT that they want. But that is just my opinion,the damage that is done by these caches from what I saw is minimal at best and if you weren't looking for them you would never know that they were there.
    This is a subject we could go round and round on. I agree to a certain extent with you here. As far as minimal impact is concerned, that all depends on the person looking for the cache and how hard the cache is hidden. There use to be a cache on the AT in Grafton Notch on Old Speck. If you had been to that one before it got archived then you will have a different opinion. The side of the trail was all dug up and all the lichen that was growing on the rocks were all gone because of people climbing all over the rocks and off the trail looking for the cache. Just because you have the thinking that "if you weren't looking for them you would never know that they were there" does not mean it is safe. It all depends on the cachers looking for it and how hard it is hidden that makes the cachers more aggressive looking.
    Blazing Troll

Smile AT caches...cont.

Thank you for all the info. I was thinking of caches located very near the trails, so others who might not hike the trail itself would learn about it etc. Guess I took it for granted that people would respect the area and the locations. Thanks for clearing it up for us. We are new to this and it helps to have others who help with all these questions. Thanks again!

Hello Family Three are you Appalachian Trail hikers or have a interest in the Appalachian Trail?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by The Family Three
    Thank you for all the info. I was thinking of caches located very near the trails, so others who might not hike the trail itself would learn about it etc. Guess I took it for granted that people would respect the area and the locations. Thanks for clearing it up for us. We are new to this and it helps to have others who help with all these questions. Thanks again!
    You can also visit our Moxie Trail Crossing cache, which is NEAR the AT, and is named for where the trail crosses a PUBLIC road and the stream entering Moxie Pond.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    You can also visit our Moxie Trail Crossing cache, which is NEAR the AT, and is named for where the trail crosses a PUBLIC road and the stream entering Moxie Pond.
    This one is just off from Joe's Hole. This is what the little place is called that is at the head of Moxie Pond. There is a story behind how it go the name.

This one I see as no problem with because it is not actually on the AT. I have not done it but it looks to be right off the public road south of the AT 0.1 miles. I will do this next time I get to the area.
    Blazing Troll