vb:literal>

Thread: GPSr recommendations

Question GPSr recommendations

Our GPS just died - a Garmin 45: it was 8 years old, so can't complain. I'm thinking of getting a Garmin gecko - just for basic geocaching. Don't need the bells and whistles. Are gecko's as accurate? Are there any GPSr's that can connect to our iMac?

One other thing - is there anyplace that might be able to repair our antique?

Default Garmin

Wow!!! I'll say,8 years isn't too bad. IMHO I think Garmin is the best but everyone has their own opinion,since Garmin is the only one I have ever had. Garmin from what I have read in other forums and such has a really good tech support. Have you been in touch with them and asked if they could repair it? I know the Etrex yellow can be bought for like 50 bux so that is a pretty good deal. Have you checked on Ebay? That is where I bought my Vista over a year ago and saved a good deal of money. Check in the Groundspeak forums and read about others experiencies with GPS'rs. The amount of information that they have will probably answer any questions you might have. Thats where I went before I bought my Vista and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainepod
    I'm thinking of getting a Garmin gecko - just for basic geocaching. Are gecko's as accurate?
    I have a Geko 201. I love him. He's cute, small and neon green. I've never had a problem with him.

Default Just bought 15 Geko 201s...

for our school (got a grant). They are easy to use, hook up to the PC (cable extra, of course) and seem as accurate as my SportTrack. 12 channels plus WAAS enabled so they should be as accurate as any consumer grade unit.

Only downside I can see is that the display is rather small, but for the price, I think they are fine.

Of course, I've had good luck with my Magellan SportTrack as well, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

For the cost of new units today, I don't think I'd expend many brain waves in considering repair options for the old unit

Michael