vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Coin Discussion

Default New Coin Discussion

Ok some of us talked about starting a discussion on a new coin for 2006 at the event so let's get the discussion going on this so we can have the coin before December of this year..... We only need to discuss what is going to be on the back of the coin for a design and maybe also having it trackable on GC.com which I think will be a cost of approximately $1.50 per coin. I still think we can get a great looking coin for $5.00 or less. So let's hear your ideas and keep this on topic.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

How about a moose using the slip n slide.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

There have been a couple of suggestions to make the coin a distinct "shape". Most of the people I've talked to want to stick to round like last year with the same front. I've heard several suggestions for the back, quite a few of Katahdin, a lobster, loon, etc. What are others thinking?
    I'm in favor of tracking too. It would mean a price increase of around $1.50 so I don't think we'd sell quite as many as '05 (over 2150 coins!!!) but some other people that didn't buy one last year may jump in too.

How about a guard rail?

Quote Originally Posted by Kacky
    Think Hiram will mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Kacky
    are you trying to say that we should use the pic of me???
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

As an outsider, (well outside some say!) I can't think of Maine without conjuring up an image of a lighthouse.
    Although the Portland Head Lighthouse is the subject of the 2005 coin (of which I'm the proud owner of coin 0320!) I reckon a lighthouse would sell.
    I know a lot of coin collectors who are almost collecting the icon, so there is no doubt that a good strong lighthouse icon and coin design would be a winner.
    (Can I order two now?)

I would prefer representing another area other than the coast. Mt. K, a moose, pine tree, mast tree or a lake scene. Nothing against the coast (I live on it!), but it's only fair to show the other great places too.

I liked the Kentucky coin I saw this weekend, the state is cut into a ring. It's still a round coin but has the cut-out shape of Maine.

I'm willing to pay my share to make it a loggable icon.

Thoughts for 2006:

Yes, trackable.

Like Tat, I'd also look for something away from the coast... and something other than Mt Katahdin since that is featured on both my coin and Attroll's. I liked the cutouts on the KY coin but there have been several coins now with that so I'm less inclined to want to do that. Round is fine by me.

In other areas (Miss., Utah, GA come to mind), the state residents were the only ones allowed to purchase one of the metals. I'd be in favor of doing this as well, especially as that will raise the total number of coins.

I personally prefer antique finishes as they show the detail more than polished ones.

I'd be willing to help in the distribution phase this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    are you trying to say that we should use the pic of me???
    ....if the antler fits...
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~