vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Coin Discussion

Trackable is great. I'm a little partial to loons as I am friends with several.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    We tried that last year Ron and the state gave us a hard time about it so we dismissed that thought,unless someone can say we can do it.
    I would think that as taxpayers we can do pretty much what we want with the flag. C'mon we can burn the US flag if we want so why not use the state flag on a coin? That's getting pretty petty when the state government is worried about some group putting a state flag on a coin when I see the state flag on souvenirs all the time.

I guess I shouldn't be suprised though.

Default 2006 coin

Tracking on Gc.com? YES the extra 1.50 will not matter to most, and could possibly interest others to make a purchase. Unique icon, YES. Lighthouse or outline of Maine would be my 2 cents worth. Mountains, moose, loon, all by a pond. There are many things that represent Maine caching. I would agree with any of them. Antique finish, YES even if it costs more. Thanks for asking?
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Law
    The following is from the law that describes The Maine State Seal:

"A Shield, argent, charged with a Pine Tree, a Moose-Deer, at the foot of it, recumbent. Supporters; on dexter side, an Husbandman, resting on a scythe; on sinister side, a Seaman, resting on an anchor. In the foreground, representing sea & land, & under the Shield, the name of the State, in large Roman capitals, to wit MAINE. The whole surmounted by a Crest, the North Star. The Motto, in small Roman capitals, in a label interposed between the Shield & Crest, viz. DIRIGO."

The moose symbolizes the unsettled lands of Maine as well as the spirit of independence and liberty.

The pine tree was described by Reed as "the staple of the commerce of Maine [and] the pride of her forests."

The crest, a single star, represents Maine as a state, alluding to the stars in the crest of the U.S. coat of arms a representing the collection of states. The motto, "Dirigo," which translates as "I direct" or "I guide" refers to the role of the North Star as the mariner's guide, implying a similar role for the state within the Union.

The supporters symbolize agriculture (dexter) and commerce and fisheries (sinister).
    Perhaps we could make our own Caching Seal. Could we come up with Maine Geocaching symbols that represent these ideas?

A single star - 12 satellites
    Dirigo - GPS
    Moose -
    Pine Tree -
    Supporters -

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Perhaps we could make our own Caching Seal. Could we come up with Maine Geocaching symbols that represent these ideas?

Dirigo - GPS
    Moose -
    Pine Tree -
    Supporters -

Moose = Represents Hiram on the Slip and Slide
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by tat

Dirigo - GPS
    Moose -
    Pine Tree -
    Supporters -

Pine Tree -- How about we change it to a stump of a pine tree to represent the cache clues that refer to "not being stumped"?

Alternatively a pine tree -- represents the many trees in the forest that FFJake must wander around aimlessly as he searches in vain for the cache with his Magellan
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

I like either a moose doing something silly, or the pine cone & tassel idea.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Where's Sudonim on this discussion . . . he's our resident "Coin Guy" -- I know he loves geo-coins since he's always trying to show me the latest coin he has found or passed along. I'd love to hear what he has to say.

My take on things (for what it's worth and it's not worth much) . . . anything is good. You folks came up with a great coin last year and I am sure unless you opted to come out with a non-trackable, plastic coin with a picture of my face on the coin anything you come up with will be a hit.

I wouldn't mind seeing a coin that would reflect another aspect to Maine besides the coast . . . and while I love lighthouses (I have a "thing" for them) I think it would be nice to see a different type of coin. I kind of liked the idea of the moose, loon, chickadee, pine tree or Mt. Katahdin (maybe we should combine all of them together with a coin showing a chickadee on the back of a loon which is on the back of a moose climbing a pine tree on top of Mt. Katahdin ). The flag idea is also a good idea.

I wouldn't mind seeing the coin photo depicting a cache site of significance (i.e. the Portland Light was great as it captured one aspect of Maine, was picturesque and it had a special meaning to Maine cachers as the site of the first Maine cache.) Surely there must be some other cache sites of significance?

I didn't get last year's coin so I definately will this year, what ever it may be. I would like to give my 2 cents though. How about a Moose with pinecone and tassels hanging off its antlers, chasing a turkey in front of a mountain.

How about the new Bucksport bridge ?