vb:literal>

Thread: Visit to Maine in July

Default Visit to Maine in July

Hi, I live in North Carolina and will be visiting Maine in July for two weeks. Any suggestions on caches around Belfast and Camden. I was stationed at Charleston Air Force Station back in the 50s. Married a girl from Corinth and will be attending her 50th HS reunion. Some suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks jambo05

I haven't done a lot of the "mountain" hikes in the Camden Hills and I haven't done every single cache in these areas (there's quite a few in these areas), but I can offer a few suggestions of some of my favorites. Incidentally, you can of course research these and other caches in the area by typing in the zip code of 04915 (Belfast).

Patty's Mt. Battie (GCC0E) . . . a must-do cache as a visit to Camden is not complete until you either hike or drive to the top to see the panoramic view of the Camden Harbor. Also a nicely hid cache.

Merry Spring (GCJD3Q) . . . find the cache and then take a minute to stroll through the grounds and see the various gardens at this jewel of a spot -- or find the cache after touring the grounds

American Chestnut (GC4AEB) . . . a nice walk through the woods rewards the geocacher with a great view of the ocean . . . and a nice place to rest and contemplate the view to boot

Picnic By the Bay (GCG64Y) . . . a great park with a pool, playground equipment, tennis courts, BB court, etc. . . . and many memories for me as my parents took me here often as a child growing up. Nice view of Penobscot Bay

Shirttail (GCQVVW) . . . small park on a nice little stretch of the river. Picturesque place to relax and unwind

Some other great caches (my opinion of course . . . which does not necessarily reflect the views of geocachingmaine.org or those of its other members) in the nearby area.

Moose Point (GC420A) . . . great little walking trail alongside the ocean

Sear's Island (GC4EF4) and Up the Hill (GCQ47T) . . . when I visited these caches it was a foggy morning and the place had a real mystique about it.

Fort Point deLight (GCZ414) . . . a wicked good hide, nice view of the ocean and I have to admit I love lighthouses so this is one of my all-time favorites

Gravity Outlaw (GC9488) . . . some folks don't care much for virtuals, but this is a great one. You have got to see this rock to believe it . . . and if you look at it just right you can see the outline of a head with the eye socket, nose and even a hint of a smile

Sandy Pointer (GCGVC6) . . . another great view of the ocean incorporated with some history of the area and a good hide . . . even though I had to go twice to find it

I hope this helps . . . hopefully others will chime in with some of their favorite caches in the area.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I hope this helps . . . hopefully others will chime in with some of their favorite caches in the area.
    Sheesh! Are there any BAD caches in the Camden/Rockport area? LOL!

Such a beautiful area - easy to forgive an "urban micro"!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Sheesh! Are there any BAD caches in the Camden/Rockport area? LOL!

Such a beautiful area - easy to forgive an "urban micro"!
    I don't mind a well thought out (i.e. cleverly hid) micro or a micro that brings me to a nice spot with a redeeming quality such as a scenic view or historical aspect.

For example, I did Damien the Dalmatian last night (by the way Cameo I hate you . . . took me several minutes to get to the #@%^$& thing) and I liked this one as it had a great view of the bay and it was a little unusual with the "short leash."

And while they're not in the mid-coast area I love Laughing Terry's cleverly hid micros, Brdad's 470 and Haffy and TRF's micro in Benton . . . that said, micros are usually the bane of my existence since they tend to take me so long to find . . . if in fact I'm able to find them.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    (by the way Cameo I hate you . . . took me several minutes to get to the #@%^$& thing)
    *devilish laugh*