vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caches along a route

Default Caches along a route

I have been following a certain thread in GC.com for quite sometime now concerning having caches along a route being a new perk for GC.com members and they almost have all the bugs worked out and are ready to publish it very soon. I think this will be a great addition for those going on a trip and want to know about caches all along the route that they will be taking. Unfortunately for me it will be hard to use as I am on dialup and using Google Earth just takes too darn long to download but for those who are on high speed it will be a godsend. Here is the info that they have come up with and I am hoping that someone in here can test it out and see how it works for them.

We're still bug testing, but Raine is close to perfecting caches along a route. We already tested it with a small group and worked through most of the possible bugs and UI issues.

This is a short instruction on how you can create a route and generate a pocket query against it. Some points first:

1. This works anywhere in the world as long as you have a proper KML or GPX of routes/tracks.
    2. We do not generate the routes themselves, but rely on outside tools like Mapsource and Google Earth to generate them.
    3. However, we do plan to allow people to eventually click on a map to generate a route on the fly. I believe most will go the Google Earth route, however.
    4. It only works with GPX 1.1 - not 1.0.

Here's the link:
    http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

1. Download/Install Google Earth (if you haven't already)
    2. Click on the Directions tab in the upper left-hand corner of the page
    3. Enter your start and end locations and click the button to generate your directions.
    4. Scroll up the results with turns to the root (should have the start/end location)
    5. Right click and choose "Save as"
    6. Save as type (*.kml) and not (*kmz) which is the default.
    7. Visit the geocaching link above.
    8. Choose the tab "Upload GPX / KML"
    9. Click Browse and find the file you saved from Google Earth
    10. Click upload and after a short time it will show you the route in the window.
    11. Check the box next to the name of your route and select the button "save selected routes." You can also click on preview to see it in the small map or double click on the route name to edit it before saving.
    12. From here you can either click on the name to add more info, make it public, etc. Or you can create a pocket query with the "Create pocket query" link.
    13. You should be able to follow the PQ creation process as it is similar to how it works using a point of origin.

We're looking for feedback, so have at it!

--------------------

Jeremy Irish
    Groundspeak - The Language of Location ™
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Thumbs up

Wow! Great new feature. It worked great for me. That sure beats getting a bunch of PQ's and then having to filter them with GSAK.

I think maybe the next step to take if this does work as well as it is ,is to make a bookmark list of the routes and then everyone can use them. Thanks Slate for trying it out and I hope more of us here in Geomaine who generate a route will make them available to others as well.

I've wished for this for a LONG time. I've done a lot of route planning - did some for the trip we're on now - but it takes a lot of time and work.

Hope this will make it easier!

Great Feature --- Thanks Haffy!!
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

I did it with a bunch of PQs when I took my trip to Nebraska and back. I loaded a bazillion waypoints into my Mapsource and then deleted the one too far from the interstate by hand. Took over a week and I still missed some. I did get at least one in every state along the way though.

Wow! Thanks for sharing!! This will be very handy! Where would we upload the routes? Although I don't know if it would be necessary since they are so easy to generate.

I think what they are hoping is anyone who has a route established would be willing to share them with the rest of us.

I too have dial up and Google Earth takes forever. RobT showed me something like this that he did with GSAK and a pocket query, but Laughing Terry and Jereny Irish mentioned mapsource. I have that but I thought that pocket queries didn't load into mapsource. We'll need to have another event when this comes out so you all can explain it to me. This is one of the reasons I originally became a member.

Yes you can load your PQ's from GSAK into Mapsource. Just click on File at the top left and hit export and then Mapsource file from there you can generate the file at the bottom of that page and you should have all the PQ's that you chose from GSAK now in your Mapsource file. Hope that helped.