vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caches along a route

My husband is going to get me the DeLorme Street Atlas, if that's the one I wanted. That's the one RobT showed me and it has more roads than my TOPO. Thanks Mr Haffy

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls
    My husband is going to get me the DeLorme Street Atlas, if that's the one I wanted. That's the one RobT showed me and it has more roads than my TOPO. Thanks Mr Haffy
    Street Atlas is very good to plan a caching trip. We usually print maps of the areas we cache in, so we can plan the best use of our time. And on a longer trip, we plot routes and then use GSAK to filter the caches along the route.

Not sure why - even with the expandable memory of the new Garmin GPSr's - that we're limited to 1,000 caches.

(Now I HOPE somebody will tell me I'm wrong and you CAN put more than 1,000 waypoints on the Garmin! LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Not sure why - even with the expandable memory of the new Garmin GPSr's - that we're limited to 1,000 caches.

(Now I HOPE somebody will tell me I'm wrong and you CAN put more than 1,000 waypoints on the Garmin! LOL!)
    With your 60csx you actually can have as many waypoints as you have space to save on your mircoSD card. You just have to upload your geocaches with Garmin point of interest (POI) loader. (see link below). I just got my new 60csx yesterday, so I haven't tried this new feature yet. There are topics about this in the GC.com forums, so if you do a search you can probably find step by step directions there.

http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    With your 60csx you actually can have as many waypoints as you have space to save on your mircoSD card. You just have to upload your geocaches with Garmin point of interest (POI) loader. (see link below). I just got my new 60csx yesterday, so I haven't tried this new feature yet. There are topics about this in the GC.com forums, so if you do a search you can probably find step by step directions there.

http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/
    Well, we are EXTREMELY pleased with our 60csx. We have not lost a signal yet.

I'll have to try this - we've had to stop several times to dump the caches in the GPSr and load new ones.

Ah... Maybe not such a good idea. It doesn't same them as "waypoints" as a GSAK export file would, but as "attractions" - mixed in with the other stuff. This is a good idea - maybe Garmin can tweak it (or someone can tell me a better way to work this...)

Glad to hear you are pleased with your 60csx. The improved reception is one of the main reasons we decided to upgrade, since we had a chance to sell our old 60c to a friend. It is amazing to see the difference in reception between the two units under difficult conditions.

It looks like you can create subcategories under the custom POI category. You could put all your geocaches in subcategory. I still haven't had time to try the POI loader yet, but there is lots of helpful info in this post:
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=122497&hl=loader

Ah... Maybe not such a good idea. It doesn't same them as "waypoints" as a GSAK export file would, but as "attractions" - mixed in with the other stuff. This is a good idea - maybe Garmin can tweak it (or someone can tell me a better way to work this...)
    I take this back! Now that I've had a chance to work with it, the Garmin POI loader is great. Instead of listing caches in the "waypoint" category, they're listed separately under "Geocaches" (Duh!) and you can do anything with them that you did with them in the waypoint category. I loaded over 2000 caches today, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks, Slate!

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    Glad to hear you are pleased with your 60csx. The improved reception is one of the main reasons we decided to upgrade, since we had a chance to sell our old 60c to a friend. It is amazing to see the difference in reception between the two units under difficult conditions.

It looks like you can create subcategories under the custom POI category. You could put all your geocaches in subcategory. I still haven't had time to try the POI loader yet, but there is lots of helpful info in this post:
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=122497&hl=loader
    See what I said, above. The caches show up under "all poi's", but also in Geocaches. Works great!

And as I've said - we haven't lost a signal outside sicne we're hade the 60csx. We're also able to use it many times indoors.

I loaded over 2000 caches today, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks, Slate!
    You are quite ambitious. I was pleased to have uploaded maybe 30 within a 15 mile range but there are always more to add and I sometimes need the print out since I don't use GSAK yet

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls
    You are quite ambitious. I was pleased to have uploaded maybe 30 within a 15 mile range but there are always more to add and I sometimes need the print out since I don't use GSAK yet
    Ambitious? No - we're currently in Tennessee! There's a cache in every lamp post! Thousands of them! (And we're not even planning on going to "Cacheville"!)

If you use a PDA or have mapping software on your computer (Delorme Street Atlas or Topo USA, for example), you need GSAK. Really! It's worth the SMALL cost.