Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Garmin 60CSx vs. 76CSx?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Garmin 60CSx vs. 76CSx?

    I'm trying to figure out the difference between these two models.
    The 76CSx is slightly heavier and larger, but floats. There is a retail $50 difference, but if you check out Garmin's comparison chart, the only difference is the memory on the microSD card.
    So for $50 I get a floating GPSr with more memory? Or are there other differences?

  2. #2
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    I'm trying to figure out the difference between these two models.
    The 76CSx is slightly heavier and larger, but floats. There is a retail $50 difference, but if you check out Garmin's comparison chart, the only difference is the memory on the microSD card.
    So for $50 I get a floating GPSr with more memory? Or are there other differences?
    If it helps the 60 series sinks slowly. I have used them both and perfer the shape and size of the 60 series

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    I'm trying to figure out the difference between these two models.
    The 76CSx is slightly heavier and larger, but floats. There is a retail $50 difference, but if you check out Garmin's comparison chart, the only difference is the memory on the microSD card.
    So for $50 I get a floating GPSr with more memory? Or are there other differences?
    I chose the 76CSx because it is more geared to marine use. I can take it on the kayak and not worry about it. The fact that the 76 series floats helped Tat out a couple of times this weekend. I also like the button placement above the screen (where the 60 has them below). I had a chance to use a 60 for a bit but still prefer the 76.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    I think the other differerence is the patch antenna on the 76 series versus the quad helix on the 60 series.Not sure what if any difference that makes in acquiring satelite locks or not.I tend to think with the new Siirf chip it doesn't make any difference but am wondering how others feel about the antennas.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    This isn't the first time the floating option paid for itself. I was trying to find Rumford Falls and it fell into the Androscoggin. I liked Kayakerinme's idea of teathering! But, if you have too many ropes on a kayak, you should always have a knife handy, just in case.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Petersburgh, New York
    Posts
    41

    Default

    The "memory" advantage really isn't an advantage. Once a really usable micro sd/flash card is added they become the same. The 76 has a slightly better base map, but once again, when you use a large capacity card why would you have reason to use the base map? I use a 1GB card in my 60CSx. The preference between the two is a really personal thing. I have friends who love their 76CSx's and others, like myself, who prefer the 60CSx. If I was planning to spend a lot of time on the water my decision might have been differeent.
    <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=af1bf874-68f6-4173-bc83-ec22f791fbd0" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Let's+go+geocaching&uid=af1bf874-68f6-4173-bc83-ec22f791fbd0&bg=1" border="0" title="Profile for Quoddy" alt="Profile for Quoddy"></a>

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    I agree with Quoddy, the memory is no advantage. Both units have enough memory to load Garmin's Topo USA and Metro Guide for all of New England. If you buy a few SD cards, you could load every map Garmin makes.

    The two screens are the same size.

    Do you like the buttons on the top or the bottom?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy
    The "memory" advantage really isn't an advantage. Once a really usable micro sd/flash card is added they become the same. The 76 has a slightly better base map, but once again, when you use a large capacity card why would you have reason to use the base map? I use a 1GB card in my 60CSx. The preference between the two is a really personal thing. I have friends who love their 76CSx's and others, like myself, who prefer the 60CSx. If I was planning to spend a lot of time on the water my decision might have been differeent.
    I don't think a LOT of memory is really necessary. I have 256mb in my 60csx, and I can put several states on the map (Garmin's MapSource) and still have lots of room. And Im nit sure about the difference in antennas, but hte reception on the csx is GREAT!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central, Maine
    Posts
    604

    Default

    I'm sticking with my 60cs. There will always be something better...that's marketing!! I STILL want to be part of the search engine!! and when I haven't found a cache, it's usually NOT the gpsr.

  10. #10
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    I'm sticking with my 60cs. There will always be something better...that's marketing!! I STILL want to be part of the search engine!! and when I haven't found a cache, it's usually NOT the gpsr.
    You Frank, You are right. I have found almost 400 caches with my gps and you are right. Cant blame the dnf on the gps.

    Thanks a bunch Frank. I dont care what Sharon says your ok.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •