vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jen's rant about caching....

Hybrid View

Angry Jen's rant about caching....

First, no I am not dead!

Maybe it's the hot weather getting to me... and I know I am going to get some flack about this but caching isn't as fun as it used to be. I used to love going out in the woods and hunting them out. It was a secret underground thing... I liked seeing others on the trails.. somehow it became more mainstream and more and more people just weren't very nice about it. I think some people found it hard that I have a 8-5 job and a family and a life outside of caching. No, I don't do caching much anymore (or at all) because I found that when I took a little break from it that the comments came that I was neglicting my caches. So, do I neglict my caches or my family & job?

To me it was an easy choice which got laid to the wayside, but as I thought about doing a few more caches, just to get back into the swing of things.. the comments started up again... more I was told that I needed to take care of the caches, the more I didn't want to do anything with it at all.

I'm sorry if I am hurting anyone's feelings and some might be thinking this is coming from the left field... Like I said... it might be the weather, it might be the lack of sleep.... I guess I am whining. I just don't like comments on my caches saying that I don't take care of my caches. No, I didn't.. I haven't... yeah, they have been neglicated a bit.

Okay, Sorry... I'm off my soapbox....

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geochicks
    First, no I am not dead!

Maybe it's the hot weather getting to me... and I know I am going to get some flack about this but caching isn't as fun as it used to be. I used to love going out in the woods and hunting them out. It was a secret underground thing... I liked seeing others on the trails.. somehow it became more mainstream and more and more people just weren't very nice about it. I think some people found it hard that I have a 8-5 job and a family and a life outside of caching. No, I don't do caching much anymore (or at all) because I found that when I took a little break from it that the comments came that I was neglicting my caches. So, do I neglict my caches or my family & job?

To me it was an easy choice which got laid to the wayside, but as I thought about doing a few more caches, just to get back into the swing of things.. the comments started up again... more I was told that I needed to take care of the caches, the more I didn't want to do anything with it at all.

I'm sorry if I am hurting anyone's feelings and some might be thinking this is coming from the left field... Like I said... it might be the weather, it might be the lack of sleep.... I guess I am whining. I just don't like comments on my caches saying that I don't take care of my caches. No, I didn't.. I haven't... yeah, they have been neglicated a bit.

Okay, Sorry... I'm off my soapbox....
    Not hurting anyones feelings. These things come from somewhere. If I where you and read the post that I think this stemed from I would be upset also. I read the post that I think this came from. Take into consideration the source. Nine caches doesnt make them an expert. Ok so you have been out of the game awhile. If you still want to play, very cool the more the marrier. If you cant(because of family commitments the job what ever) have them archived. Nobody will hate you for it. The next step is to fix it. As long as it is marked disabled it shouldnt be a big deal. The first note should have been needs maintence and not awseful cache waste of my time. I think that this cacher needs a quick crash cource in cacher etique.

Keep doing your best Jen that is all any one ask. And if for some reason it becomes geo litter, just go get it and start over. If I where in your shoes I would be mad to. I have been in the other guys shoes and been alittle upset to find a cache not maintained but the first step is to nicely make mention that the cache is in bad shape and in need of attention. Thats all.

Good luck with this.

Dave

Default Jen, I can help.

It's okay. I read one of the entries made today in Moosetracks. I don't blame you for letting off a little steam. I live right in town. If you want me to check on your caches, just give me a holler!

Hey Jen, don't let one log get you down. If you check all of their logs, that is their style of writing it seems. So you are not being singled out.

So sit back and just prepare for the 3nd Annual BBQ cache event. It must be done you know, it's like ... geocaching history! Did you ever hear the story about how I was FTF on a cache at the 1st one when I had no waypoints or description?

Jen

I would not let this log get you down either. I would not even have made it temporarily unavailable if you going out to fix it this weekend. If a person can get within 31 feet of a cache then I would consider that pretty darn good.
    Blazing Troll

Thumbs up

Jen...I haven't seen the log but I have seen many that I think are like it. I saw one log where they complained that the coords were 10ft off!! And family comes first and foremost. We have taken months off from caching to tend to other matters that were much more important. And your cache event?? Well...that's important!! We could hear an announcement about an important non-caching event at that picnic which is an anniversary of sorts for a certain couple?

Talking Is it 2005 ??

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Hey Jen, don't let one log get you down. If you check all of their logs, that is their style of writing it seems. So you are not being singled out.

So sit back and just prepare for the 3nd Annual BBQ cache event. It must be done you know, it's like ... geocaching history! Did you ever hear the story about how I was FTF on a cache at the 1st one when I had no waypoints or description?
    Dave that would be the 4th BBQ
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    Dave that would be the 4th BBQ
    Oh god, has it been THAT long?

Well Jen I don't know you at all, but here's my take on things.

Like Dave1976 said, while it may be difficulty you have to take the cacher's comments in context . . . 31 feet EPE is pretty darn good (a new geocacher may mistakenly believe that their GPSr will bring them right to the geocache each and every time which of course is wrong) and while I try not to judge anyone by the number of finds/hides one must realize (albeit it's not always easy when being criticized) that the person with an issue may not realize there is some etiquette involved (and you should realize that a) some people do not convey their true personalities and thoughts very well to paper, or in this case the computer screen and b) some people are very direct and to the point and mean no disrespect) and that the hider may not be able to go right out and fix any problems.

As Parmachenee said . . . FAMILY comes first. When you're on your deathbed remember this . . . it will not be all of the geocachers who have found your caches waiting at your side and it will not be your co-workers -- it will most likely be some of your good friends (which may include some geocachers though) and your family members who will be with you until the end. For this reason . . . family and friends should always have priority in your life and let the caches remain damp if they need to.

This said, I do believe we have an obligation to maintain our caches . . . but again whenever and however we can do so. There is no 24-hour or 48-hour rule that I know about where we must rush out to fix our caches once we know there is an issue! Do it whenever it's convenient. You may wish to look at replacing the original cache containers possibly (not knowing what you are using) -- a plug for ammo cans . . . these things are virtually maintainance free (other than an occasional check to make sure it's still hid and in the same place.)

I also agree with Dave1976 about geocaching etiquette. Maybe it's just me but I always find it a priviledge to be brought to an area to search for a cache. While I don't always like the view (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), cache container or the type of cache . . . I still appreciate the cacher for taking their time to place a cache and invite others to search out the cache . . . and in many cases experience an area I never would have seen. For this reason and this reason only I pick my words carefully when making a log and try not to be negative even when I find a cache that I didn't particularly like due to its hide, container, contents, care, location, etc. I only wish more folks would realize that words -- whether spoken or written -- can hurt more than the sharpest knife and as such they should carefully think before they write/speak. (Incidentally, Jen . . . the one cache I did of yours was in a good condition and I enjoyed it.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Oh god, has it been THAT long?
    Yes, it has....

I'll talk to Geochick Ann (I call her mom!) and see what we can swing for a BBQ this year!

Plus, Colleen no longer eats rocks!!