vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: TBs unlogged

Default RE: TBs unlogged

This may be a stupid question, but this past weekend I picked up two TBs that were not logged into the cache. Since the "options" when you log a TB only gives you limited options (i.e. "found at XYZ cache", "picked up from Cacher X" or "discovered TB") I wasn't sure how one would go about logging this into my TB "inventory." A quick look and it appears as though the last folks who were physically in possession of the TB were not the same folks who dropped the TB at the cache (i.e. the cachers never were at the cache I was at.)

I would like to do the right thing and get these TBs re-logged so the cacher who released them will be able to track them again so what are my options? Inquiring minds would like to know. I've thought about simply placing them into another cache, but that seems as though it would compound the problem . . . and I would guess that the folks who failed to log the dropped TB probably failed to do so quite a while ago and the TB may have been bounced around from cache to cache in the meantime.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Angry Poor TB ....

I guess you have a few options:

1- Grab the TB to put it into your inventory. Then place it into a new cache.

2- Contact the cacher who put it into the cache where you found it and ask them to log it in there. (Can be done with a note). Then you pick it up there and place it somewhere else.

3- Grab the TB, place it into the cache where you found it, take it from there, and place it in a new cache.

I prefer #2 myself. If I don't get a response then I go to #3.

I have had a similar problem when I place a TB in a Maine cache. I do not have access to a computer to enter my finds and drops quickly. I often go to a local library and use the public computers there. Thhere have been times when a TB I dropped has been picked up before I had a chance to log it into the cache where I placed it. I don't think it causes any harm other than to have the TB mileage not accurate and it may not get logged into all the caches it has visited.

Anyone got other ideas????

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    This may be a stupid question, but this past weekend I picked up two TBs that were not logged into the cache. Since the "options" when you log a TB only gives you limited options (i.e. "found at XYZ cache", "picked up from Cacher X" or "discovered TB") I wasn't sure how one would go about logging this into my TB "inventory." A quick look and it appears as though the last folks who were physically in possession of the TB were not the same folks who dropped the TB at the cache (i.e. the cachers never were at the cache I was at.)
    Was the TB shown in the posession of a person or in a cache?

If it were me, I'd either grab if from the cache who is shown to have it, or log it out of the cache it was shown in. Either way, it would make the record current, although it would be practically impossible to reconstruct the record from the last time it was properly logged.

(I saw Sabby's comments, and generally agree, but if the TB has been bouncing around for a while correspondeing with the last cacher might not help the record.)

I released my first TB back at the beggining of the month. It was grabbed the same day by a new cacher who was visiting a friend here in Maine..he has logged 4 caches, all here in Maine. Sent me a note saying the TB was going back to Colorado with him which seemed cool, but as of now the TB is still not logged in anywhere. He hasn't logged into the site since the 4th and still only has the Maine caches that he found.

I am bummed as it looks like the TB may be gone. We spent a little money on it, probably about $15 including the TB itself.

It is a discouraging start to TBing.

i have one lost some where also last i knew it was in belfast

Sheesh! Don't get me started again on the "Saga of the Boothbay Register TB"!

LOL!

But the fact that a TB hasn't been logged in a few weeks doesn't means is gone forever. Many cachers, especially beginners, go caching in fits-and-spurts. Wait a few weeks, then email the holder of the cache and hopefully they'll respond.

That's right - I've had a couple reappear after many months. I nearly wrote them off and then voila - they showed up. Then again, I've had a few that disappeared and stayed that way.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I am not giving up on it. Just kind of disappointing to have your first one..released..picked up same day..then nothing. Thats all.

Back to the thread Jake created - I think all the suggestions are helpful. Early this year my daughter and I found a TB brought to ME from FL (by doing the research you could get this information) by a person who never recorded on the bug site - just made notations in his log entry (don't think he read the tag to know what to do).

This is an educational piece - when you get a TB from a cache log it on the TB area first. Then you can drop it and don't forget to do so. I just sent a couple out and printed the on-line instruction sheets and passports. These are actually pretty cool.

The mileage is off when you don't do recording in order but that is the least of a problem compared to lost! I have one which went to an event - was picked up and dropped off in a super cache (which was not particularly easy to do = terrain, location) and suddenly is MIA. That was one of my first and I want it home - can't imagine where it is.

There is a cost to purchase with the Groundspeak TB. I have recently gotten some free TB numbers through Travelertags.com. You do your own tags. I am wondering if these will work out. They are less expensive (some free ones to start and then there is a purchase option) but do it yourself. They are trackable but do not post on the geocaching web site (you have to manually post a link in the log - there is no icon). Therefore they are a surprise when you find them. That to me is cool in a way - as folks don't go just for the TB.

Just put one in my new Swimmin' Hole Cache in Orland so we will see if anyone grabs it and how it moves.

Again - logging is important and this is an educational piece. JMO (Just my opinion).

Everyone have a great caching summer!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora
    ...I have recently gotten some free TB numbers through Travelertags.com. You do your own tags. I am wondering if these will work out. They are less expensive (some free ones to start and then there is a purchase option) but do it yourself. They are trackable but do not post on the geocaching web site (you have to manually post a link in the log - there is no icon). Therefore they are a surprise when you find them. That to me is cool in a way - as folks don't go just for the TB.

Just put one in my new Swimmin' Hole Cache in Orland so we will see if anyone grabs it and how it moves.

Again - logging is important and this is an educational piece. JMO (Just my opinion).

Everyone have a great caching summer!

I have one travellertag TB (The Tide Ride)out and it is not in circulation anymore that I am aware of. I think I know where it is and will email the person who grabbed it and then past it on to someone else to place in a cache. It a bummer to lose your TB !!