vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Army Knife

Default Tutorials

Are there any good tutorials out there that anyone knows of for using GSAK? It seems kind of daunting for me but it sure does have a lot of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Did I hear Parmachenee say simple? I guess that is my nickname because that is all Greek to me.....lol. Maybe that is what WhereRwe was looking for Street Atlas to do for him as he was asking just that at the event the other day. You getting this at all Bruce? Seems like this is your answer.
    Parmachenee is using a different procedure than I was using. I didn't know you could do this from Street Atlas Handheld (I knew you could download waypoints as routes, but it included a line between each waypoint). I just changed my SAHH to advanced file management, and will try his method.

I have both Street Atlas 2005 and Topo USA 2005 for PC, and it's an easy procedure to upload/download waypoints to/from those and your GPS/PDA.

I won't post instructions here - I see you're confused enough already Haffy - but if anyone has questions they can email me.

(Oh - and I'm currently online from some low priced motel in Wells, Maine. Don't know whose wireless network I'm on, but I LOVE IT!!! And I took thast darn TB to New Hampshire...)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=89766

Default GSAK Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Are there any good tutorials out there that anyone knows of for using GSAK? It seems kind of daunting for me but it sure does have a lot of stuff.
    Here is page I found that talks about using GSAK:

http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15

That should get you through loading a bunch of caches into it. After that, you will probably want to define your home coordinates, so you can sort your caches by distance from home. You do this at Tools, Options, Locations. Use Centre Point, Home to sort caches by distance from your house. You can also sort the list by clicking on any column. This is handy for putting caches in alphabetical order, finding recently placed caches, or putting the easy terrains together.

If your mouse has a scroll wheel, you can roll it to maneuver through your list of caches. If you right-click on a cache, you will get a pop-up menu with a ton of links based on that cache or coordinates. You can bring up the cache on the Geocaching.com website, or open up any number of map websites (Custom URL). You can also set this cache as a new center point, very handy when you are planning on hitting a bunch at one time.

If you haven't done so yet, you will also want to tell GSAK your Geocaching.com username. This will allow it to color-code your found caches. Another very powerful feature is the filter (under Search, Filter...). For example, if I wanted to look for all of YOP's caches that I haven't found within a 50 mile radius of my home, I'd first set my center point to "Home", then start a filter where "Distance" is "Less than or equal to" "50" miles, uncheck the found box, "Placed By" "Contains" "Prospector". I could also uncheck the Archived Box if I didn't care to see any caches that were not available for finding. When I am done with that filter, just click "Search, Cancel Filter".

That should at least get you up and running with it. Play around with the buttons to see what else is under the hood. I just registered my copy a couple days ago and got a nice note back from Clyde with my serial number. I also got word from Smitty that CacheMate4 should be out in a couple days.
    Last edited by Cache'n Jacksons; 09-18-2004 at 02:32 PM.

Smile

I like it! Just downloaded it last night and have been playing with it since. I loaded all the caches that I havn't gone to yet (within 50 mile radius) into it, changed the waypoints from .loc to .gpx files using the export part then accessed them in usaphoto maps to see where the clusters are. I really like being able to sort them by direction of travel. Its nice the way they linked the cache pages also, its real handy for people like me that has yet to go paperless yet. Has any one tried the mapping software, oziexplore yet? GSAK has my head swimming
    Last edited by Pooh and friends; 09-26-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    I like it! Just downloaded it last night and have been playing with it since. I loaded all the caches that I havn't gone to yet (within 50 mile radius) into it, changed the waypoints from .loc to .gpx files using the export part then accessed them in usaphoto maps to see where the clusters are. I really like being able to sort them by direction of travel. Its nice the way they linked the cache pages also, its real handy for people like me that has yet to go paperless yet. Has any one tried the mapping software, oziexplore yet? GSAK has my head swimming
    Yes I have tried it with Delorme Topo 5.0 and it puts all the waypoints in there. It is great. I will never use East GPS again.
    Blazing Troll

Parmachee

Great I love it. If you put a lot of waypoints in your hand held then it is slow searching through them. The only draw back that I see if if you want to deleate a bunch of them, it takes forever doing it one at a time. Can you do that in a large ammount without doing it one at a time?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Parmachee

Great I love it. If you put a lot of waypoints in your hand held then it is slow searching through them. The only draw back that I see if if you want to deleate a bunch of them, it takes forever doing it one at a time. Can you do that in a large ammount without doing it one at a time?
    ATROLL -

Are you deleting from GSAK or your handheld?

If handheld, are you using CacheMate?

In GSAK, I use filters a lot to get the group of caches I want to work with. When I get too much garbage in the GSAK database, I just delete it and get a new pocket query.

In CacheMate, deleting is easy - but email me and I'll try and help.

No I am talking about deleteling the 546 waypoints that I have in my Handeld in Street Atlas. I imported them like Parmachenee said. Now I regret doing all 546 at one time. So I was trying to delete at least 200 of them so I did not have so many in there. It slows down my handheld a little when I am looking through the waypoints.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    No I am talking about deleteling the 546 waypoints that I have in my Handeld in Street Atlas. I imported them like Parmachenee said. Now I regret doing all 546 at one time. So I was trying to delete at least 200 of them so I did not have so many in there. It slows down my handheld a little when I am looking through the waypoints.
    Ah - now THAT is a good question.

The data miust be there in a file - as it was imported to the PDA - and you should be able to delete that and import a new, smaller file.

But how to do that... I'll have to play with this some... I can't seem to do it either right now, but you must be able to delete more than one at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Ah - now THAT is a good question.

The data miust be there in a file - as it was imported to the PDA - and you should be able to delete that and import a new, smaller file.

But how to do that... I'll have to play with this some... I can't seem to do it either right now, but you must be able to delete more than one at a time...
    I just got done writing to DeLorme and asking them how to do it. Here is the message I posted to them:

I have over 500 waypoints on my handheld and I want to delete them all or just a bunch of them. Is there a way of doing this without having to delete them one at a time?
    I will explain how I imported them.
    I went to my DeLorme Doc\Mobile Mps\Wpts Transfer\ XMapHHWptsSend and put the following in between the BEGIN SYMBOL and END statements and did a sync with my handheld. This put all my waypoints that I stuck between these statements on my handheld maps. I also noticed that once I did this my DeLorme Doc\Mobile Mps\Wpts Transfer\ XMapHHWptsRcv file had the same statements added to it automatically. Hoe does this coincide with this?
    Here is just a small portion of what was added between the statements. I see no reason to include the whole file:
    BEGIN SYMBOL
    45.6612999439,-67.8650499582,1.5 million dollar view by kb1g
    45.5256170034,-69.4324330091,3 Michiganders in ME by Drestin
    46.6134829521,-68.0133329630,A.S.P. by team-pine (1/3.5),4,1,1
    44.8380670547,-69.2840329409,A Cache for Mom and Dad by AbbysGrammy (1/1),2,1,1
    43.8084330559,-69.8150000572,A dam close thing by Team Chucky Cheese (2/3),2,1,1
    45.1401499510,-69.9588170052,A different view of Wyman Lake by Smitty & Co. (1/1),2,1,1
    43.2313669920,-70.6830329895,Agamenticus2 by JaKaching (3/3.5),2,1,1
    44.6745500565,-68.7532670498,A King's Cache by parmachenee (2/2.5),2,1,1
    END

Is there hope here?
    Blazing Troll