vb:literal>

Thread: Help me to make the search easier

Default Help me to make the search easier

Ok... the way I find out where geocaches are is by searching geocaching in maine by nearest zip code.

There is software/maps out there I don't know how to use, or where to find them. Basically... what I am looking for is something to show me the general area where I can find geocaches on a map... like for instance... if I go downstate and want to do ones near the I-95, which I have got a few, without having to go look for them throuh a zip code... or keyword.. how can I find out how close they are to the interstate... etc? It's hard to explain... but someone must know what I am talking about. I am looking for a map of geocaches in the state... or something if that makes sense? Like you put your cursor over the area where there is one and you get the coords... anyway, thats the best I can explain it... any help would be very appriciated! It's time I do this right!
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

J-Cyr;

If you are a paying member to geocaching.com, they have a brand new benefit! Caching along a route. Say you live in Augusta and are heading up to Bangor on 95. Plug that in and it will give you all of the caches along the way. It's pretty easy, easier still if you happen to paperless cache. It's pretty to figure out how to make it all work once you start playing around with it.

If you aren't a paying member, you're still left doing it the old school way. For $30.00 a year, it's hard NOT to justify paying it for all that you get out of it, this being yet one more reason.

Have fun playing around with it, I'm sure the geocaching.com servers have been insanely busy with all of us doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    Ok... the way I find out where geocaches are is by searching geocaching in maine by nearest zip code.

There is software/maps out there I don't know how to use, or where to find them. Basically... what I am looking for is something to show me the general area where I can find geocaches on a map... like for instance... if I go downstate and want to do ones near the I-95, which I have got a few, without having to go look for them throuh a zip code... or keyword.. how can I find out how close they are to the interstate... etc?
    Sheesh, Jordan! You've got an almost-top-of-the line GPSr, but you aren't using a fraction of it's capabilities! LOL!

Get a second job, buy Delorme's Street Atlas and Garmin's Mapsource, and have a ball!

(I saw Geomaine's answer - if you're broke, that's the best answer I can think of...)

Right... I am a premium member. I have google earth... but I can't see the caches in the area on the route?

On any cache just below the coordinates is says view map. If you click on that and then go below where it say identify it will pull up 20 of the closest caches. From there you can zoom in or out and get as many as you need. Also try out the new beta Google maps from that same page. I know a lot of people don't know that this is even there to use. I like it and use it alot to see where caches are in the local area where I am going to be caching. I also have mapsource which is even better.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Thanks alot.

Oh and one other thing,that Google maps thing at the top of that view maps page in Beta awesome. It not only shows all the caches in that area but on the right has the list of those caches that you can just click on and get the whole cache page. Really cool.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.