vb:literal>

Thread: Please help! A geocacher has taken my stamp!

Default Please help! A geocacher has taken my stamp!

Hello,
    I am a letterboxer and have never heard of geocaching until very recently. Unfortunately I heard about geocaching because it seems a geocacher has mistaken my letterbox for a cache and has taken my handcarved stamp and inkpad. I have two different threads going on the geocaching.com site and have gotten a lot of advice and tips from some friendly folks there, but unfortunately no one has seen my stamp or knows anyone who may have mistakenly taken it. My letterbox is in Brunswick ME and the stamp is of the Brunswick-Topsham Bridge. I understand that there is a cache nearby so it is possible that someone stumbled upon my box instead of the cache (even though the lid of the box is clearly labeled, "this is a letterbox"). The bridge is an erector-set looking type of bridge; this stamp was pretty time-consuming to carve so I'd really like it back. Please, if anyone has any info as to where my stamp might be or if anyone has seen it, please contact me. Thanks! (and thanks to haffy6 for referring me to this site!)
    Phishychick

Unhappy That's too bad!

Will keep my eyes open for the stamp! Hopefully it will turn up soon.

Letterboxes have logs usually - can't you identify the "culprit" from the log entries?

Whoever took the stamp did not sign their name or leave any contact info. They merely wrote, "we took a stamp and ink pad and left a pen and scratch pad" and that's it. The person on the previous page was also a geocacher who found my letterbox by mistake- he signed his name so I contacted him, thinking that maybe he was with the person who wrote the unsigned note on the following page. Unfortunately, they were not together and he knows nothing about the stamp's whereabouts.

Besides the two other threads on the geocaching.com site, I posted a note on the page for a cache called "the Mills of Yesterday and Today", which seems to be near where my letterbox is. I also emailed some people who visited that cache around the time when my stamp went missing. Right now it seems like my best hope is that someone who has read my story will somehow happen upon my stamp and contact me.

Maybe someone (BRDAD?) could get geocaching.com to post something about letterboxes, and that they are NOT geocaches. I've stumbled across a couple ofletterboxes in my travels, but had heard about them before and just signed the log. I think a LOT of geocachers need an education, especially now with so many new people starting out.

....And...you're absolutely sure it was a geocacher that possibly traded in error.....?
    Are we guilty by association? Perhaps it was a geomuggle?

I'm sorry for your loss, and will keep my/our eyes open for it if it should turn up in a geocache.
    Silva, of the forest

Beneath you, feel the Earth.
    Above you, feel the Sky.
    Around you, feel the presence and the Power
    of the Trees!

Default Letterboxes near geocaches

One of our caches is also near a letterbox (Salt Marsh Multi) We noted the letterbox in our description of the area, along with the letterboxing website. Some cachers have logged in for the letterbox as well as the cache, but as of our last check a couple of weeks ago, the letterbox and stamp were intact. I'm sorry about the letterbox by the swinging bridge (maybe your note will help). The other thing, though, is that both the letterbox and the cache near your letterbox are urban locations, pretty easily found by muggles, and probably more likely to be vandalized. An unfortunate aspect of our imperfect world, I guess. Makes me angry that we have to worry about theft and personal safety while enjoying caching or letterboxing.