vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we have a Geocaching Maine Organization? (rules in first post for responding)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 34.43%
  • No

30 49.18%
  • I don't care

10 16.39%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we form a Geocaching Maine Organization?

Perhaps we should start with a simple task, such as a mission statement.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Perhaps we should start with a simple task, such as a mission statement.
    That would be a very good start. Do we have any volunteer's that would like to draft one up.
    Blazing Troll

Default Are we forming an organization or not?

I'm confused. What do we need a mission statement for?

At this moment, the poll shows 13 Yes, 23 No, and 6 Don't care (3 No and 2 DC were added since yesterday at about this time when I was thinking about it. No Yes votes have been tallied in the last day.)

A mission statement would be required if an organization was forming. Based on the poll results, there doesn't seem to be a consensus to move ahead.

The poll results do seem to be representative of the people visiting the forums and posting here on the board:

49 people have posted at least one message since 7/7 when the poll was started - and 42 have voted. (62 have posted since 7/1). That seems like a pretty good percentage.

98 people have visited since 7/7 so half of the people visting here have either not read or, if read, have chosen not to vote/comment on this thread. (123 have visited since 7/1) Until now, that would include me.

So, is this moving ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme
    So, is this moving ahead?
    I don't see where it would do any hard to have a mission statement. We don't even need to be a organization to do that. In fact, it might help us discuss just what we as a group want to do for the geocaching and non-geocaching communities.

I'd like to see a few people write a draft up and see what comes of it. We can always vote it down if it does not sound like something we want to do.

I think I am still against a full fledged organization, and despite the actual votes, many people here seem to have swayed toward the center or possibly changed their mind on the issue. That is one problem with running a vote before ideas are discussed. Plus, it'd be good to get a vote from a larger percentage of members.

I think kayakerinme has a good point, we should not give the appearance that a few of us are going against the wishes of the majority. In fact, the more we kick this around the less I understand the question!

Should we have a Geocaching Maine Organization?

What is an organization? I'm not sure I have any idea what I'm voting for or against!

Maybe a better next step is to come up with a survey listing as many things as posible:

Do you want a mission statement?
    Would you pay dues?
    Do you want to lobby for political action?
    Do you want someone else to lobby on your behalf?
    Do you want to make decisions base on polls?
    Do you want more guidelines for posting?
    Do you want this site to be more than a forum?

The way this thread has seemed to develop (in my observation), maybe we want a small group to lobby our interests in case there is a local or state opposition to geocaching.

Default Mission Statement

Here's an idea:

- Our goal is provide a free Internet community for the sharing of information related to the Geocaching.
    - We will do this by using open forums for all to use.
    - We will honor freedom of speech (within limits).
    - We will do tour best to keep this environment friendly for all.
    - We will share or pass information on to others in regards to updates and information on the Geocaching as it becomes available.
    - We will respect others opinions and not force our views on to others.
    - We expect the same in return from others.

Note: One person does not own Geocaching Maine. Everyone on this site shares a piece of it. Lets work together and help our Maine community of Geocaching Enthusiasts grow.
    Blazing Troll

I said in a earlier post,that organizations cause a lot of hate and discontent among friends,etc,etc.Also that I don't like to belong to organizations.I realized right after I made that statement,that I do belong to the Bicycle Coalition of Maine.If anybody knows anything about this group,you'll know that we have accomplished a lot of good things for biking in Maine.We have in Jeff Miller a president that works tiredlessly for the group,along with lots and lots of volunteer help.We have great rallies and events every year.

Organizations give you power and with power comes the ability to get things done.The BCM has gotten us more bike lanes,more share the road signs and overall better riding conditions.Jeff is in Augusta almost daily working with our legislators or the D.O.T.

At this time what do we need to accomplish that we need the power of a organization?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Plus, it'd be good to get a vote from a larger percentage of members.
    I'm curious how large a group we might be able to get. Consider the following:

I've pulled an arbitrary number of at least 6 posts as someone whom I would consider "active". I think it's a fairly low number and arguments can be made to move this number up or down. Using this as a base, however, ...

Only 95 members with 6 or more posts have posted in the last 6 months. In fact, only 115 members have more than 6 posts period. 62 of those 95 have posted at least one message in July. I think of these as the "active" folks.

Of the 682 members as of this post, 397 have visited the site since the beginning of the year; 309 have visited since April 1. What I can't see are which are based in Maine and which are "from away" so to speak. I have sent a request to Groundspeak asking how many cachers have identified themselves as hailing from Maine, but I haven't heard anything yet.

So... going back to the 95 "active" folks, 44% have answered the survey in one way or another. 42 of 49 folks that have posted since the survey was introduced five days ago have voted one way or the other.

It seems to me that about the highest number one might achieve with this survey is about 100 folks, and IMHO, this seems like it'd be pushing it.

What does a "larger percentage" mean to you? What would make it a satisfactory survey?

Thanks!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme
    I'm curious how large a group we might be able to get. Consider the following:

I've pulled an arbitrary number of at least 6 posts as someone whom I would consider "active". I think it's a fairly low number and arguments can be made to move this number up or down. Using this as a base, however, ...

Only 95 members with 6 or more posts have posted in the last 6 months. In fact, only 115 members have more than 6 posts period. 62 of those 95 have posted at least one message in July. I think of these as the "active" folks.

Of the 682 members as of this post, 397 have visited the site since the beginning of the year; 309 have visited since April 1. What I can't see are which are based in Maine and which are "from away" so to speak. I have sent a request to Groundspeak asking how many cachers have identified themselves as hailing from Maine, but I haven't heard anything yet.

So... going back to the 95 "active" folks, 44% have answered the survey in one way or another. 42 of 49 folks that have posted since the survey was introduced five days ago have voted one way or the other.

It seems to me that about the highest number one might achieve with this survey is about 100 folks, and IMHO, this seems like it'd be pushing it.

What does a "larger percentage" mean to you? What would make it a satisfactory survey?

Thanks!
    I was thinking kinda the same thing but didnt want to do the math to figure it out. Nicely done. I think that their is a huge percentage of folks that signed on to keep up with the new coin but other than that the others have just come and gone. I think we have enough numbers to represent the group. Remember that the folks that are truely the regulars are somewhat of a small group.