vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we have a Geocaching Maine Organization? (rules in first post for responding)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 34.43%
  • No

30 49.18%
  • I don't care

10 16.39%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we form a Geocaching Maine Organization?

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    I agree with you Dave...but we have over 700 users of this website and a vote of 32 users is hardly indicative of the overall feeling of everyone here. I don't know how many are from Maine, but it still is far from a majority decision. I would like to see more input from other users than the 20 or so who have posted their feelings. Also, the "goals" should include some kind of mission statement indicating what we are "all about." IMHO
    and I agree with you Frank and with Cameo regarding 5 PR people. And these could be our "go-to" people. Not just to represent us with the state and forestry, but even for a landowner like Milklover who had questions and concerns regarding a cache. If they came across the website, they could have a direct link to someone in the area (in case they couldn't get ahold of the cache owner...who may be away) who might have some answers. Or someone like rfaulk who needed some extra help with his caches, if he had somone to talk to they could hook him up with another geocacher to mentor him until he felt prepared to go out on his own. (You did a great job with him Hollora, but what if you had been able to get back-up sooner? and really, you had enough going on...what if you could have passed him off to someone?)

Another concern, which no one has brought up is the money. I hate to do it (bring up $), but I volunteered for an organization which collected money from it's members to do activities. And yearly, they had to do an accounting to it's members regarding donated money. Since, gcmaine.org has registered with the IRS should this be done? Before, when we just dropped a few bucks in an ammo can it was no big deal, but with a donate button on the website, I think there has to be an accounting for public record. And that would have to go for the coins too if we are using the IRS non-profit status for purchases. (for the record, I DO NOT think any money has been mismanaged, and the $ we are talking about is not in the KKk's but, on the other hand, we have to be responsible stewards).
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    Rick, just playing devils advocate here. If Plum Creek decides to ban caching on their property your saying that we should just accept it and move on?? I'm thinking that if we had an official rep., we could at least talk to them, work with them maybe. Your right in that it may not sway their decision but at least we tried. If we speak to them with the backing of a large. unified organziation it may help. It may not too and I will concede that but at least we can prove we are really trying to protect geocaching as it is now.

Just so you know, what ever this group/members of this forum decide I will respect it and abide by it. I'm not going to start another organization...(ok, I could delete that last statement but I won't...LOL) I believe in majority rule and only want what is good for the geocaching community...

Cache On!!!!
    You have a valid point but they are only representing the users of the web site basically. If there were to come to the web site and see some of the dicussions we bicker about then what do you think that would think. Not to change the subject but we need to be more refram some people from things that that bring up and discuss here on the web site and organized on the web site also. We have done a lot in the last month at this we jsut need to keep it up.
    Blazing Troll

I think we are on the right track here and think this is finally going to be something we can all look forward to in the next few weeks while we iron out our differences and come to a mutual understanding of what GeocachingMaine means to all of us.
    I think the next step is to try and formulate some sort of charter so to speak for lack of a better word, to reach all members here in the forums. I would propose that we put out a mass email to ALL of the members who have signed in to this forum and get the whole general concensus of what the members would like to see. I'm not saying that someone who has signed in here and visited once or twice but we have a lot of members who for one reason or another just don't participate in here but do visit and read what we as active members of GM.org have to say. It should be quite simple to put something like this together and am sure other members here would like to see something like this as well. What are your thoughts? Or am I way off track?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans
    and I agree with you Frank and with Cameo regarding 5 PR people.
    I don't agree with that right now. I think we should start out with at maybe 2. One for the northern half and one for the southern half of the state. I really think we should start with one but the traveling would be a pain in the butt for one person.

Another concern, which no one has brought up is the money. I hate to do it (bring up $), but I volunteered for an organization which collected money from it's members to do activities. And yearly, they had to do an accounting to it's members regarding donated money. Since, gcmaine.org has registered with the IRS should this be done? Before, when we just dropped a few bucks in an ammo can it was no big deal, but with a donate button on the website, I think there has to be an accounting for public record. And that would have to go for the coins too if we are using the IRS non-profit status for purchases. (for the record, I DO NOT think any money has been mismanaged, and the $ we are talking about is not in the KKk's but, on the other hand, we have to be responsible stewards).
    I don't see no need to have any required payments to be in this organization at this time. I don't see where we could acually pull in enough money for anything. I don't think people are going to want to pay money for things that can do for free. If we did do this then we would have to poll the members every time we wanted to spend the money so we could vote on it. As for the money going towards the coins. The coins are not that much to begin with at $3 each where we really need to put any money into them unless we change the coin a lot. From what I have heard others discussing we may only change the rear design and the metal. So that will not be pricey at all.

All the money I had in the account was being tracked through paypal until recently. But if we were to do something like that we could us paypal for the tracking. We would also require a checking account. I don't think we need start charging any fees right now. This may be something that can be discussed in the future though.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    I think we are on the right track here and think this is finally going to be something we can all look forward to in the next few weeks while we iron out our differences and come to a mutual understanding of what GeocachingMaine means to all of us.
    I think the next step is to try and formulate some sort of charter so to speak for lack of a better word, to reach all members here in the forums. I would propose that we put out a mass email to ALL of the members who have signed in to this forum and get the whole general concensus of what the members would like to see. I'm not saying that someone who has signed in here and visited once or twice but we have a lot of members who for one reason or another just don't participate in here but do visit and read what we as active members of GM.org have to say. It should be quite simple to put something like this together and am sure other members here would like to see something like this as well. What are your thoughts? Or am I way off track?
    That could be done. We need someone to draft up this email and have a couple others look it over for proofing.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I don't agree with that right now. I think we should start out with at maybe 2. One for the northern half and one for the southern half of the state. I really think we should start with one but the traveling would be a pain in the butt for one person.

The traveling is exactly the reason to have 5 people covering the state. Also, it would mean no-one was overburdened by the work it might (or might not) take. Also, while, say, Steve knows Albion really well, he may not feel all that comforatable with Houlton where we know we can ask Jordan to cover something and he can REALLY screw stuff up (just teasing!)

I don't see no need to have any required payments to be in this organization at this time.

I don't see where we could acually pull in enough money for anything. I don't think people are going to want to pay money for things that can do for free. If we did do this then we would have to poll the members every time we wanted to spend the money so we could vote on it. As for the money going towards the coins. The coins are not that much to begin with at $3 each where we really need to put any money into them unless we change the coin a lot. From what I have heard others discussing we may only change the rear design and the metal. So that will not be pricey at all.
    I never said there should be any required payments. In fact, I don't think we should ask for $ until/unless we need it. I'm talking about money already donated to the website, which would include an accounting of $ leftover from the coins.
    All the money I had in the account was being tracked through paypal until recently. But if we were to do something like that we could us paypal for the tracking. We would also require a checking account. I don't think we need start charging any fees right now. This may be something that can be discussed in the future though.
    When I volunteered for the non-profit, we filled out financial reports and submitted once a year, I'm talking about posting something like that....these were the donations, these were the costs...
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans
    When I volunteered for the non-profit, we filled out financial reports and submitted once a year, I'm talking about posting something like that....these were the donations, these were the costs...
    Oh OK. We would not have to file a report each year with the IRS, but posting it for the memebrs would be nice if we go that way.
    Blazing Troll

Default Imho

Thank you Rick for putting the poll out and asking for opinions. I like that there is opportunity for anyone interested to put in their two cents and indicate their preference.

I have been thinking about my preference for this and have also been reading what others have shared. There are a number of good points here and a variety of ways that this could go.

I have enjoyed the informality of this community and have no strong need for the organization to be different or more formal. It seems that a number of the issues that have been raised are already addressed in the existing structure..........

Land Trust contacts - A number of people have stepped up to the plate and made connections

Media - A number of people have written articles, others interviewed, some have given presentations

Resource - Fellow cachers are available for questions via the website, have acted as mentors when asked, etc.

Funding - When $ have been needed, individuals have contributed at an event or through the donation button

Political - If issues arise, it seems that they are brought to the website. If we all keep ours ears and eyes open and share what we learn, we would have very broad coverage without relying on a small number of people being responsible. If something is identified as needing attention, we could make an impromptu plan at that time.

My preference is to leave things as they are, but I will certainly respect whatever path this takes.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I have not read any of the posts so far, but I will chime in anyway.

I like the open format of this site. No one "runs" the site. There is more ability to come to a consensus here that there would be in most "organized" groups because no one is any more power than any one else. Except, of course, the site owner. And, even the site owner exercises minimal power over the members.

If we had a president or chairman or any other such titled person, the site would inevitably become that person's site. I like the way we bounce ideas off each other and help each other understand different points of view. I think we all know someone, or are someone who has a much different view of some aspect of this game because of our frank, open and sometimes spirited discussions. We should make sure we don't loose this!

Not having a traditional organization shouldn't stop us from evolving. We need to find a way to come up with decisions. Decisions were especially hard to discern on the coin project. We should also find ways to be sure posts are helping us sort out problems and not just creating animosity. There have been a few posts (like this one) that have clear guidelines. Perhaps it is time the whole site has some clear guidelines to help people know how to get their point across without turning everyone against them.

I don't see any other reasons for having an organization, so, I voted "I don't care". I can't wait to read the rest of the posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Thank you Rick for putting the poll out and asking for opinions. I like that there is opportunity for anyone interested to put in their two cents and indicate their preference.

I have been thinking about my preference for this and have also been reading what others have shared. There are a number of good points here and a variety of ways that this could go.

I have enjoyed the informality of this community and have no strong need for the organization to be different or more formal. It seems that a number of the issues that have been raised are already addressed in the existing structure..........

Land Trust contacts - A number of people have stepped up to the plate and made connections

Media - A number of people have written articles, others interviewed, some have given presentations

Resource - Fellow cachers are available for questions via the website, have acted as mentors when asked, etc.

Funding - When $ have been needed, individuals have contributed at an event or through the donation button

Political - If issues arise, it seems that they are brought to the website. If we all keep ours ears and eyes open and share what we learn, we would have very broad coverage without relying on a small number of people being responsible. If something is identified as needing attention, we could make an impromptu plan at that time.

My preference is to leave things as they are, but I will certainly respect whatever path this takes.
    I agree with you 100% Judy and this is where I stand. I was just offering thoughts. I do agree with this 100% though and will respect what ever others agree on and what the outcome is also.
    Blazing Troll