vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we have a Geocaching Maine Organization? (rules in first post for responding)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 34.43%
  • No

30 49.18%
  • I don't care

10 16.39%
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we form a Geocaching Maine Organization?

d’76 Guest

This is why we will never acheive what we talk about. I dont want the leadership role in this but somebody must have. We get to a point where it is a fair assumption that we dont want an organization, but do want a creed or what ever you want to call it....... then what nothing happens. Much like the coin. We talk talk talk. Someone has to garb the bull by the horns and take it if you want it bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    This is why we will never acheive what we talk about. I dont want the leadership role in this but somebody must have. We get to a point where it is a fair assumption that we dont want an organization, but do want a creed or what ever you want to call it....... then what nothing happens. Much like the coin. We talk talk talk. Someone has to garb the bull by the horns and take it if you want it bad enough.

I've had my say and things got bogged down in details. Then the MGA came out and what they offer and what they stand for seems to be very much what I was concerned with. I can't see re-inventing the wheel so I've paid my dues to the MGA and will work with them to help create an organization that will protect, enhance and promote geocaching here in Maine. I truly hope others consider and also add their voice to help face any future challanges..

Cache On!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I've had my say and things got bogged down in details. Then the MGA came out and what they offer and what they stand for seems to be very much what I was concerned with. I can't see re-inventing the wheel so I've paid my dues to the MGA and will work with them to help create an organization that will protect, enhance and promote geocaching here in Maine. I truly hope others consider and also add their voice to help face any future challanges..

Cache On!!!!!!
    Well, hopefully you have not given up on geocachingmaine.org completely. Your input into this thread seems to have swayed many in your direction, maybe not fully, but partly. I think we all want to be prepared for what may come to the future of Maine geocaching, but we do not want to lose the fun of the game, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun

Cache On!!!!!!
    Well good for you!! I'm more inclined to go the other way. I 'm seriously considering putting all my caches up for adoption and just letting this hobby go. There is so much more to life than geocaching. I certainly don't want to be associated with those that backstab, suckup, lie, cheat and then try to convince people "that its just a game" Without mentioning anyone's name, I can tell you I have bumped into these cachers and they play cutthroat caching at its best. They tell me that the "reason" for tearing up the roadway in a historically sensitive area was that they had only the info on their PDA and didn't read the cache description....lame excuse if you ask me.(just too lazy to walk a couple hundred feet) On another occasion, I reply to a newspaper article on geocaching and invite that writer to join us here at geocachingmaine.org and then get slammed for inviting the media to "our" site both in their response in the paper and in an angry email sent to me. These same cachers also did a bunch a caches in the Bangor area that had in their respective descriptions not to be done at night. However, they seem to think that because there are no real rules that they can disregard that info and cache at whatever damn time of day that they want to. Again, I won't mention specific names but it has been said on these forums a couple of times,......"I've never met a cacher I didn't like or get along with" well, I wish I could say the same but in all honesty, I've met a few I didn't care for and certainly wouldn't want to be associated with them. Thanks for the fun that we did have and thanks Rick for the website. I hope you all can get it together as a united front but from what I see and read, I doubt it. C-ya!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Well, hopefully you have not given up on geocachingmaine.org completely. Your input into this thread seems to have swayed many in your direction, maybe not fully, but partly. I think we all want to be prepared for what may come to the future of Maine geocaching, but we do not want to lose the fun of the game, either.

I hope my post didn't sound like a farewell. GeocachingMaine.org still offers the best of the geocaching world, I honestly believe that. I'm personally concerned and want to make sure that I'm in a position to help protect geocaching in the state of Maine. If it comes to that. A lot of what I bring to the MGA comes straight from this site. For the most part GeocachingMaine.Org has made me the cacher I am today. The people here have a lot to offer and I would never turn my back on them. I'm hoping that I can voice those things that are important "here", "there".. Did that make sense?

My joining the MGA is in no way a reflection on this forum. I would still hope we could organize here but until we do (or don't) I hope I'm positioning myself where I can do the most good. Or at least voice my concerns.

Cache On!!!

I'm sure we will be in a better position very soon to stand up to any scrutiny that anyone might have. Hopefully we can get on the right track and move ahead with this being the best site for Maine geocachers. We have the best of the best here as far as I am concerned.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Well good for you!! I'm more inclined to go the other way. I 'm seriously considering putting all my caches up for adoption and just letting this hobby go. There is so much more to life than geocaching. I certainly don't want to be associated with those that backstab, suckup, lie, cheat and then try to convince people "that its just a game" Without mentioning anyone's name, I can tell you I have bumped into these cachers and they play cutthroat caching at its best. They tell me that the "reason" for tearing up the roadway in a historically sensitive area was that they had only the info on their PDA and didn't read the cache description....lame excuse if you ask me.(just too lazy to walk a couple hundred feet) On another occasion, I reply to a newspaper article on geocaching and invite that writer to join us here at geocachingmaine.org and then get slammed for inviting the media to "our" site both in their response in the paper and in an angry email sent to me. These same cachers also did a bunch a caches in the Bangor area that had in their respective descriptions not to be done at night. However, they seem to think that because there are no real rules that they can disregard that info and cache at whatever damn time of day that they want to. Again, I won't mention specific names but it has been said on these forums a couple of times,......"I've never met a cacher I didn't like or get along with" well, I wish I could say the same but in all honesty, I've met a few I didn't care for and certainly wouldn't want to be associated with them. Thanks for the fun that we did have and thanks Rick for the website. I hope you all can get it together as a united front but from what I see and read, I doubt it. C-ya!!
    You're singling people out. There are some popular members who have done many of the same things, either out of competitiveness or enthusiasm. "Too lazy" or whatever, is a judgement and just an opinion.

Come on guys, does it REALLY matter who formed the group first?
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kacky
    You're singling people out. There are some popular members who have done many of the same things, either out of competitiveness or enthusiasm. "Too lazy" or whatever, is a judgement and just an opinion.

Come on guys, does it REALLY matter who formed the group first?
    Kacky,

You are right...Smitty's tirade seems to be directed at 1 or 2 people (remaining nameless of course) for an a single incident. This is just a game and some people play a little harder than others. End of story...beginning of a new website. By the way, I sent my check in today. And I didn't even go to the meeting on Saturday.
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    I certainly don't want to be associated with those that backstab, suckup, lie, cheat and then try to convince people "that its just a game" Without mentioning anyone's name, I can tell you I have bumped into these cachers and they play cutthroat caching at its best.
    Unfortunately, this is not a "one time" incident, nor does it refer to one cacher. As I stated early on, one of these cachers approached someone "from away" and went into a tirade about other cachers esp. those in "northern" Maine. And then to those "northern" cachers faces were pleasent and courteous. (I'd like to reiterate that this is a wholly separate incident than what Smitty is talking about...I have direct knowledge and will ask the person this happened to if they want me to name them so you can directly ask them questions.)

Nor is there ever an excuse (as far as I'm concerned) to blatenly disregard cache descriptions or hours of operation. THAT is the type of behavior that makes it hard for all of us and puts restrictions on where caches get placed. We won't be able to use public access places if we are destroying the habitat or accessing property when we aren't supposed to (ie. after dark.)
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Why not take it up with the individuals? This seems like an inefficient way to resolve a grievance.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~