vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we have a Geocaching Maine Organization? (rules in first post for responding)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 34.43%
  • No

30 49.18%
  • I don't care

10 16.39%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Should we form a Geocaching Maine Organization?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    "Snip"
    We have to start somewhere. That's why we had a physical meeting to decide just where to start. It's hard to make guidelines for doing this stuff when there is no one to help the process appeal to the majority and to go more smoothly.

So let's not get all excited. Let's get our trial group elected and back them up as well. All GeocachingMaine.org members will be able to voice their opinions of approval or disapproval as time goes on. If, in 6 months or a year, we decide we need to change the members, purpose, or existance of this group we will do so.
    I have read the thread and realise some folks may have changed their minds, but the pole says "No". Folks went into the vote knowing they couldn't change it. They should have waited untill they knew what they wanted to vote or the poll should be reposted.
    If this boards only function is to represent the site owner and the site, then moving forward is fine (thats part of web site management and up to the the site owner), but to claim that this board represents the membership "Geopcachers of Maine" or the wishs of the membership "Geopcachers of Maine" is not true.

"That's why we had a physical meeting to decide just where to start." Perhaps this meeting should have been more open and involved more of the membership about to be represented.

While you may feel that this is a trial group, it isn't. Their are no terms of office set, no duties, no nuthing other than the election of a board that will be representing the membership and Geocachers of Maine.

Perhaps I appear to be argumentative and disruptive, but that is not my intent. I have seen too many good groups and good people lost from the groups over just this type of issue. Good intentions are fine and good, but in this type of endevor good intentions without adequate planning and organization are a sure recipe for failure. We have folks out there critical of our group just like our group has folks that are critical of other groups and they will be more than happy to point out the faults after the fact.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHa
    I have read the thread and realise some folks may have changed their minds, but the pole says "No". Folks went into the vote knowing they couldn't change it. They should have waited untill they knew what they wanted to vote or the poll should be reposted.
    If this boards only function is to represent the site owner and the site, then moving forward is fine (thats part of web site management and up to the the site owner), but to claim that this board represents the membership "Geopcachers of Maine" or the wishs of the membership "Geopcachers of Maine" is not true.

"That's why we had a physical meeting to decide just where to start." Perhaps this meeting should have been more open and involved more of the membership about to be represented.

While you may feel that this is a trial group, it isn't. Their are no terms of office set, no duties, no nuthing other than the election of a board that will be representing the membership and Geocachers of Maine.

Perhaps I appear to be argumentative and disruptive, but that is not my intent. I have seen too many good groups and good people lost from the groups over just this type of issue. Good intentions are fine and good, but in this type of endevor good intentions without adequate planning and organization are a sure recipe for failure. We have folks out there critical of our group just like our group has folks that are critical of other groups and they will be more than happy to point out the faults after the fact.
    It does in fact seem that you are trying to be argumentive. Where were you when we had the meeting to talk about this stuff. If you feel this passionate about this stuff maybe you should have been a part of it before it was to late. The ball is rolling and we are at the point of voting for members.

It also seems like you have member for a long time but never had anything constructive to say until there was a topic you could argue about. Please help us in making this better instead dwelling on what has already been done and what cant be changed and add to this in a positive manner.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    It does in fact seem that you are trying to be argumentive. Where were you when we had the meeting to talk about this stuff. If you feel this passionate about this stuff maybe you should have been a part of it before it was to late. The ball is rolling and we are at the point of voting for members.

It also seems like you have member for a long time but never had anything constructive to say until there was a topic you could argue about. Please help us in making this better instead dwelling on what has already been done and what cant be changed and add to this in a positive manner.
    I as perhaps some others would have been happy to attend the meeting had I been given the oppertunity. Perhaps had more members been involved I wouldn't feel the need to day anything now.

With regard to my having been around for a while and not having anything constructive to say, I see no point in repeating something someone else has already said. There have been plenty of of oppertunities to argue in the past were that my only interest. I have been attempting to help out. Nothing has been done yet that can't be undone and done right. I have made great effort to approach this in a positive manner. Over this media (the internet) it is difficult to convay that criticism has merit and is not ment simply to be disruptive and to inflame, especially when it appears to go against the good intentions of other folks trying to accomplish something.

I as perhaps some others would have been happy to attend the meeting had I been given the oppertunity. Perhaps had more members been involved I wouldn't feel the need to day anything now.
    As one who was involved in the planning for the meeting, I apologize if you didn't get the word. It was featured prominently on the home page of this website. The webmaster made the effort to send a personal email to ALL members. And the subject was discussed at length in these forums. I'm not sure what else could have been done.

Which reminds me of a complaint at the WWWWWW event RULOST2? and I hosted last February. While there were over 100 people there, all wearing nametags, one cacher complained that they couldn't find the group. Only two rooms in the restaurant, and it would only taken a "is this the geocaching group?" to produce a hearty welcome. But this cacher didn't connect with the group and left unhappy.

Again, there are times when you do all you can, but someone literally slips through the cracks.

RockyHa:
    By the way, welcome to the forum! Please keep posting!!! We need all the ideas we can get right now.

All:
    This is a case of "chicken before the egg". We don't have a lot of predeterminded rules because no one here wants to make rules unilateraly. I am certain that the board will only be set for a short period of time. The maximum time we discussed at the meeting was one year and some of us prefered as short as 3 mounths. We just don't know how long it will take to properly think everything through. We obviously can't just think everything through in secret.

I don't feel we are trying to represent every cacher in Maine. We are only trying to find a way to acurately represent the views of the members of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    RockyHa:
    By the way, welcome to the forum! Please keep posting!!! We need all the ideas we can get right now.
    LOL I have a feeling many more statements like that could make you real unpopular.

One of the biggest reasons I have been responding to posts here is that I belong to a Penturning group that tried to organize and do bigger and better things. They were better organised in their attempt, but rushed into it. When the dust settled we lost many of the most helpfull and dedicated members of the group icludeing several of the folks elected. It has been over a year and there are still hard feelings. I hate to see the same thing happen here.

One of the biggest reasons I have been responding to posts here is that I belong to a Penturning group that tried to organize and do bigger and better things. They were better organised in their attempt, but rushed into it. When the dust settled we lost many of the most helpfull and dedicated members of the group icludeing several of the folks elected. It has been over a year and there are still hard feelings. I hate to see the same thing happen here.
    All the more reason we want to have you share your ideas and experience! We certainly don't want that to happen here. As you can see, we are moving forward - your input will be very helpful!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Other then the email that you missed as others have mentioned there were post on the web site talking about the upcoming meeting for weeks prior to it.

Here is where we posted about having the meeting weeks prior to the meeting:
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=1547

Here is the post that was on the web sites front page for a week
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=1571

Here is where we asked for nominations:
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=1599

I am very sorry that you were not involved in the meeting and I tried my best to get the word out and made post on the web site. It is hard to please everyone. But there is not much more then I can do except apologize.
    Blazing Troll

LOL I have a feeling many more statements like that could make you real unpopular.
    On the contrary we are very open minded here in this forum and try to get all opinions from everyone concerned and not just from people who may have the same goals as we do. All we are trying to do is get the ball rolling so to speak so when the time comes for a voice we will be well prepared to have answers. If you have been following the total sport of geocaching at all you will have seen that many states are regulating it very strictly and we hope to be on the forefront in this state when it comes to that. Hoepfully we won't be in a situation like that but we want to be prepared if and when it does happen. May of us have already been working with other land management groups in the past. Tat has been working with the Mt Agamenticus trusts, Hiram 357 with the Kennebec Region Land trusts and I worked for a time with the Boothbay Region Land trusts. All trying to work with and educate them on the benefits of geocaching and all contacts with these so far have been very positive.
    Last edited by attroll; 08-17-2006 at 01:57 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

At the very least the poll should be deleated prior to closeing the election as the numbers aren't there to support having the election. Frankly the existance of the poll reflects poorly on the ethics of the nominees.