vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we have a Geocaching Maine Organization? (rules in first post for responding)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 34.43%
  • No

30 49.18%
  • I don't care

10 16.39%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we form a Geocaching Maine Organization?

I don't see how we can do anything as an organization better than we can do as the group we are right now. If a problem or a need arises in the geocaching community, we can discuss what needs to be done as a group, and get together a few willing cachers to see that the job gets done. And the more members we include in these decisions, the more that decision reflects on the Maine geocaching community as a whole, and it uses the maximum resources we have available to us.

I know personally,Ive always stay away from organizations because of all the rules and the politics that are involved.We all know people that belong to volunteer fire departments,rescue squads, American Legion,etc.,good freinds that because of the rules no longer speak to one another.That shouldn't be us!!!

Default Correct me if I am wrong

I thought THE place to go for geocaching in Maine has and always will be "The woods"
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I thought THE place to go for geocaching in Maine has and always will be "The woods"
    OK, wise guy, good point! LOL! (I've made the comment clearer.)

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    God no. No more rules!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't think I have to elaborate too much on this.

I would like to have seen some form of official organization here that would have given the folks here a united voice, a united front againt any adversity. By organization I don't think there is a need to dictate how we cache but a place for the non-geocaching community to interface with us.
    This is our chance to put a name forward, an elected person(s), that we could put out in the public to promote caching and be the liaison for answering question. Rick does answer question regarding the forums and does a fantastic job!! My desire to organize is not a reflection on these forums as I think these forums are awesome!!!!

Some States have banned geocaching and we should take the preemptive measures to have a united front for just such an event (or similar event). This may never happen but if it does we here will be reliant on the officially organized groups to represent us. These forum are great and I never want to say otherwise but if we want to stop non-geocaching restrains on us then we need to be organized in the event something like the above happens. If we wait to organize then it will be to late and our only option will be to back the "other" organization to protect geocaching.

Many folks here think an organization is about the dues and the rules. It doesn't have to be that way. Firstly, let me say that these forum DO have rules (look at the user agreement) and the donation button, without it the cost is shifted to Attroll who does a great job and shouldn't be burdened with the cost. This reminds me of a Tim Sample phrasology, " You can put a kitten in an oven but that won't make it a bisquit." Dues / donation , Rules/User agreement, there is little difference in my opinion. I chose to make a donation and I would chose to pay dues. I chose to abide by the user agreement and I would abide by the rules.

I also wanted to mention that with all the private land trust and preserve that we place our caches on, that I would think having one person represent Maine geocaching and getting official permission to place caches on their property is better than having individuals. One of my reasons is the commitment an organization would show versus an individual. By putting GeocachingMaine.org signature on the permission slip shows that all member feel that way about using their property. We all know that some cachers lose interest in the sport (I can't fathom that but.....); if that indiviidual had permission to cache on a certain piece of property, he/she takes that permission with them when they leave the sport. While individuals come and go the organization would be perpetual and keep the permission for all geocachers.

I hope people can stop and see the trees though the forest. An organization is not a negative thing. There does not have to be more restrictive rules and dues can still be a donation. Even this site shows priviledge by donation with a "members only" thread. This site could be kept free but dues paying members could help set policy that will help guide Maine Geocachers well into the future. That doesn't mean that a donating member would not listen to the general opinions of all geocachers, rather I would hope that they would.

Meetings don't have to be monthly. They could be annually or even per deim if that is how the organization is outlined. This doesn't have to be a business even though some feel that it will be. There are many super large organzitions that only meet 4 time a year, the one I'm familiar with would be the Safari Club, they do lots to promote themselves but don't limit the activity of their members at all.

Everyday there are more folks entering geocaching. The numbers of people out there will increase public perception of us, either good or bad, and I think we need to be prepared to deal with that. I don't think organizing should be viewed as a way to contain geocachers rather as a way to promote our sport with one loud voice instead of many whispered voices. We have the opportunity to do good things beyond these forums and will only be able to do that if we can show that we are united.

IMHO

Cache On!!!!!

Why fix something that "ain't" broke! I like it just the way it is!
    Twin 2 of Hiker Twins

I generally stay out of these discussions, but I like the freedom and flexibility of the way things are right now. I think an organization adds a level of complexity that doesn't exist now, and I think it's great this way.

There are two types of people... those that group people into categories, and those that don't. I belong to the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    I also wanted to mention that with all the private land trust and preserve that we place our caches on, that I would think having one person represent Maine geocaching and getting official permission to place caches on their property is better than having individuals. One of my reasons is the commitment an organization would show versus an individual. By putting GeocachingMaine.org signature on the permission slip shows that all member feel that way about using their property. We all know that some cachers lose interest in the sport (I can't fathom that but.....); if that indiviidual had permission to cache on a certain piece of property, he/she takes that permission with them when they leave the sport. While individuals come and go the organization would be perpetual and keep the permission for all geocachers.
    Would it be any different if we appoint one or two people in our group to represent us as cachers for a particular land trust? And another one or two in another area that may need to be represented? Can't issues be discussed here as easily as they could at meetings, so that anyone interested can voice their thoughts and ideas? Does our word mean any more if we are an organization than if we are member of geocachingmaine.org speaking as a group?

I'd never join a group or orginization that would accept me anyway...

ok, maybe I would, but I don't think we need to "orginize"
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"