vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we have a Geocaching Maine Organization? (rules in first post for responding)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 34.43%
  • No

30 49.18%
  • I don't care

10 16.39%
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we form a Geocaching Maine Organization?

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    ... dont think this site will stand a chance against a formally organized body if there are any challenges or concerns that are brought up by the media,land trust,forest concerns or any private or public land baron when it comes to presenting the facts concerning geocaching...
    We do not need to have a formal organization to have political clout. If we have one voice and act together, we will be very capable of swaying opinion.

We have a tradition of working with land owners. Our history with helping land owners will certainly mean more to other land owners than wether we have a president or pay dues.

I am beginnig to actually like the idea of two alternatives to our local Geocaching channels. We all have preferences, some like structure and formality, some like the laid back, anything goes attitude.

We have a great chance right now to have the best of both worlds.

Here's an anology:

My older brother owns a business machine company. Not long after he built a new store, his competitor built a similar store across the street. I asked him if that bothered him and he supprized me by saying "No, the compitition is not a problem." Comparison shopping is very important and having both stores together only increased impulse buying.

By having two alternatives, Maine geocachers can present two groups that have the same (but different) goals.

Has anyone else noticed the complete lack of concern on the part of the Groundspeak New England forums? They aren't upset or threatened by another group.

Nobody said anything about having a president or paying dues that I can read back on. I just don't think we can have a true voice regarding any issues that will be sure to come up if we don't do something very soon. And who represents the New England forums on GC.com by the way anyway? From what I have seen it is mostly people from Mass and Conn who frequent those forums only because they don't have anyplace else to go to voice their opinions.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    e ...just because we are an organization doesn't mean we will be ruled by a small group or it will became that persons website. By forming an "official" organization doesn't empower an individual or a small group of people to do as they please rather it should give us one respected and credible voice to speak with. The strength of any organization is by member participation and the diverse views that are presented and hashed out , hopefully, form one great idea. What makes these forums so great right now are the members and what they bring to this site. We are all free to voice our opinions here, why would organizing take that away? We can still debate issues and present ideas and have chat night and have events and put the geocachingmaine.org logo on our caches and so on. ...
    This is exactly how I see our site. I'm not against organization, but I have no idea how to organize and meet the goals above.

Can someone explain how we should be structured?

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    This is exactly how I see our site. I'm not against organization, but I have no idea how to organize and meet the goals above.

Can someone explain how we should be structured?

The idea of the discussion was to bring ideas to the table. Our options are only limited by our imaginations. There are many successful associations out there that we could model ourselves after. For example, the American Heart Association, the NRA, the Sierra Club, The Audobon Society, The American Red Cross, Salvation Army, the Humane Society, SAM(Sportsman Alliance of Maine), AKA American Kennel Association), DU (Duck Unlimited) the MGA(Maine Geocaching Association) and the list can go on and on. My point is, all the organizations listed above are respected for what they represent. To many folks thes organizations are the ultimate authority for what they represent.

The way to start an organization, as has been stated in previous post by others, would be to come up with a mission statement and a charter, then form a "structure" that could best meet those goals.

Cache On!!!!

As mentioned in the first post the rules for posting in this thread are not to bring up MGA at all. This is for discussing whether we need to become an organization and not to compare or relate to them at all. This is also to keep from any negative posts being posted about them. I have deleted any post that mentions them in this thread. So if you wondering why your post have been deleted then now you know why.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    As mentioned in the first post the rules for posting in this thread are not to bring up MGA at all. This is for discussing whether we need to become an organization and not to compare or relate to them at all. This is also to keep from any negative posts being posted about them. I have deleted any post that mentions them in this thread. So if you wondering why your post have been deleted then now you know why.
    To my knowledge, no one has referred to the MGA in a negative manner. Any comparisons made have been used to enforce a points of why we should organize. I do agree that we don't need to use their anacronym in a disparaging way but I think its fair play to use them to help enforce points for us organizing.

Hope I haven't been the offending party and if I am I apologize. I have nothing but respect for the founders of the MGA and have expressed and will continue to express nothing but my good will and hopeful success of the MGA.

Cache On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    To my knowledge, no one has referred to the MGA in a negative manner. Any comparisons made have been used to enforce a points of why we should organize. I do agree that we don't need to use their anacronym in a disparaging way but I think its fair play to use them to help enforce points for us organizing.

Hope I haven't been the offending party and if I am I apologize. I have nothing but respect for the founders of the MGA and have expressed and will continue to express nothing but my good will and hopeful success of the MGA.

Cache On!!!
    No Steve you have not been one. I just stated in the beginning of the thread that they do not even need to be mentioned. The reason was this has nothing at all to do with them and everything to do with us. There is no comparison needed because there is nothing to compare to except speculation. So I want to keep it that way and anything mentioned about them will be deleted. So from here on it will be enforced.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    So from here on it will be enforced.
    Walk softly, carry a big hiking stick!

It seems discussion is over. I hope this doesn't get put on the "back burner" and for some, "go away" quietly. I think we, as a group, need to come to some concensus and decide on a future course of action regarding this thread. While we are under no time constraints, I believe a timely decision, one way or anther, will be in our best interest to solving the concerns outlined and discussed in this thread.

Cache On!!!!