vb:literal>

Thread: Trip with the extras

Question Trip with the extras

Okay, after doing some caching with "Tat's Rescue Rangers" team and watching how they work all the "bells and whistles," I am convinced that I should move towards paperless caching. I have a Legend Garmin that will hold 500 caches. My parents have two of the same, so we can get a total of 1500 caches on them between us. We are headed across Canada and the US in August and would like to do some caching. Here's my thought (remember, I'm cheap)... I would like to get a PDA to work with the GPSr's and use Cachemate. I'm thinking the PDA would have to hold quite a few descriptions of caches. If I preload everything before we leave home I will save a lot of time. The trip will be from 8-10 days so things shouldn't get too outdated.
    I've got most of the GSAK route maker figured out. Any recommendations?

d’76 Guest

I had a zire 22. I would recommend that one for caching and while it is cheap and it did work great, I did not like the fact that it didnt have a backlight. Oh and it wasnt color. I think that it will hold all the caches you need. It did for me. Realize that this unit doesnt have many bells and whistles. It will work but I would imagine once you get used to paperless you will want bigger better. One with an sd slot and then who knows what else

Here is a link to buy a brand new one for 56 bucks. That is hard to beat
    http://www.shoplocal.com/default.asp...l&pid=21479783

Palm also has this one avialivle to you. I think it is the big brother to the Zire 22. A few more bells and whistles but its a few more bucks http://promosearch.palm.com/search/p...s&sp-q=zire+22

I'm sure either of those mentioned will hold all the caches you will ever use on the trip. I wouldn't spend a lot of money as one never knows what kind of accident you can have on the trail. I know from experience,ask Beachcomber.One day a couple of winters ago I had a brand new Zire 71 that I got off ebay and even spent way over $100 for that one and it was toast after I fell on it. I managed to get another one just like it for a lot less and have had that one ever since. With the new caches along a route feature on GC.com you should be able to find out where all the caches are within said distance of the route you will be traveling. I would check out Ebay,you can buy some great PDA's for less than 50 bux. Sounds like a great trip and have fun.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen
    We are headed across Canada and the US in August and would like to do some caching. Here's my thought (remember, I'm cheap)... I would like to get a PDA to work with the GPSr's and use Cachemate.
    We cached from Maine across Canada to Chicago last summer, and had a ball.
    Almost every rest area along the Trans-Canada has a cache, and some of them are pretty good.

We really liked our Palm Zire 71 - until we broke the screen - and went for a new Palm Tungsten E2 (About $200 at Staples). If you're cost-concious, I'd echo the other recommendations about the Zire 71.

If you crack the glass on your Palm, a lot of times it is less expensive to just replace the glass. I did that on an old Palm and it was a lot less than buying a new one. I got an old PalmIII off eBay (cheap!) which will hold just about 500 waypoints and it works fine, but if I were to break this one the replacement one I would get would probably be a Zire or I might even look into Windows-based PocketPC. I would again go to eBay for a used one.

I my instance though the digitizer was toast and that would have cost me almost as much as the whole thing did.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Thanks everyone. After seeing what you guys are using and being cheap, I ordered a Zire 31. Got it at a decent price... I think.