vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to geocaching

Hybrid View

Default new to geocaching

My name is Carolyn and I am a science teacher at Halldale. My son gave me the GPS for my birthday and I tried it out for the first time yesterday. to no avail I guess the acronym is dnf?

Default Welcome

Hi there, Carolyn.

That's great that you have a new GPSr and want to get out and try some geocaching -- it's really quite fun.

Where did you first run in to problems? Were you able to pick out a geocache to try to find? Were you able to get the co-ordinates into your GPSr (GPS Receiver)?

There's a great group of people here. I'm sure we can help you out!

-RanMan22

I found a cache locally, I used paper because I couldn't upload and then I got to the cache but couldn''t find it.

Quote Originally Posted by caro
    My name is Carolyn and I am a science teacher at Halldale. My son gave me the GPS for my birthday and I tried it out for the first time yesterday. to no avail I guess the acronym is dnf?
    What GPSr do you have? At a minimum, you should be able to print the cache page from geocaching.com, then manually enter the coordinates for the cache into the GPSr. Without the cache coordinates in the GPSr, you can find caches but it's a LOT harder!

Hey Caro,glad that you came here for some instruction. We have a lot of very informed people here who can help you out with most anything. Have you considered maybe contacting someone who is already a veteran cacher so to speak and getting together with them? That is what I did and we became good friends. That is how we feel about most everyone here who is a member, we are just one big happy family. I would suggest that when you look for caches that are in your area there is a good chance that you could email that person who hid the cache and I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you get started.

Can you give us an idea of the cache that you couldn't find and maybe we can help you out right from here? Maybe giving you a contact person who would be willing to meet with you and get you on the right track. Just a thought. We try to help anyone if we can. Happy Caching Haffy
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    That is how we feel about most everyone here who is a member, we are just one big happy family.
    And Haffy is the biggest KID in the family! LOL! (Just look at his avatar... )

I remember the first cache I tried to find. I wrote down the coordinates and was watching the coordinates on my GArmin trying to get them lined up. Didn't find it that day. LOL I figured out how to put the coordinates INTO my garmin, hit "goto" and look at me now.

I hope you have as much fun as the rest of us.

LOL Terry I did that too, because I had just ran out of the store with my new GPSr and didn't want to take the time to learn how to use it. I found ground zero, but not the cache! Carolyn, hang in there. You'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us!
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry
    I remember the first cache I tried to find. I wrote down the coordinates and was watching the coordinates on my GArmin trying to get them lined up. Didn't find it that day. LOL I figured out how to put the coordinates INTO my garmin, hit "goto" and look at me now.

I hope you have as much fun as the rest of us.
    Glad that I'm not the only one who started out doing this . . . for a long time I looked as though I was some crazy guy trying to line dance out in the woods as I would take a few steps forward and then a few steps to the right followed by a few more steps backwards and so on and so forth.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

DNF would be Did Not Find . . . you are correct.

First the bad news -- it's never fun to get a DNF but it is part of the game. Now the good news -- folks here are more than happy to help you out, offer advice and even see if they can't find a local veteran geocacher who might be able to help you out. On behalf of geocachingmaine.org . . . welcome to the site . . . hopefully you will find this site and the folks here useful.

We've all started out where you are right now with lots of questions . . . if you have a question fire away. Chances are we had the same question when we started or there are other folks who might be wondering the same thing. Personally I would rather have folks ask lots of questions . . . that's how we learn, right?

In order to help you find your next cache it might be useful to know what cache you were looking for (some caches can be much more difficult than others). Also, if you were able to tell us your make and model of GPS we could probably give you a step-by-step tutorial of how to enter the coords and we can give you some tips for finding the hidden caches in the woods (i.e. if you see a pile of sticks all stacked up neatly there's a pretty good chance a cache container might be under it!)

So in summary . . . if you have questions, we probably have answers.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."