vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to geocaching

Don't forget to look at the difficulty and terrain ratings on the cache pages! The difficulty rating is generally a measure of how well the cache is hidden: 1 you can almost find blindfolded, 5 you can be staring right at it and not see it (been there, done that!). On a similar rank, the terrain rating can range from 1 which is handicap-accessable, to 5 which may require special climbing or diving eqipment (been there, done that, too!). Here is a page that a lot of hiders use to determine their ratings. Happy hunting!

thank you for all your words of encouragement.

The cache I tried to find was the Curtis Homestead cache. The question I have I haven't seen anyone else ask. so I am a little trepidacious that I might be being blasphemous. I am a Mac girl and Garmin etrex vista needs a beta program which I downloaded, to be read by the Mac. But it doesn't seem to recognize the waypoints I downloaded from Geocaching.com. Anybody know where I AM GOING WRONG?

CAROLYN

Hi Caro,

Don't stress about the Mac thing, I don't think there are too many of us in here
    I have been using GPSConnect0.2 to get my pocket queries into my etrex vista. Is that the program you are using? You do need to be a paying member of GC.com to get pocket queries, but it's really worth the 3 bucks a month. If you are using GPSConnect and have trouble, pm me and I'll try to walk you through it.

Default Contact me

I own a lot of the caches in the Augusta area. I'm a Phys. Ed. teacher at Windsor school. Who knows. We may have met! I'm busy studying for the next couple of weeks and would love a break to go out with you and your son to do a couple of caches. Just a warning... I'm not into the bells and whistles! Okay, I confess... I have a handheld unit coming in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by caro
    thank you for all your words of encouragement.

The cache I tried to find was the Curtis Homestead cache. The question I have I haven't seen anyone else ask. so I am a little trepidacious that I might be being blasphemous. I am a Mac girl and Garmin etrex vista needs a beta program which I downloaded, to be read by the Mac. But it doesn't seem to recognize the waypoints I downloaded from Geocaching.com. Anybody know where I AM GOING WRONG?

CAROLYN
    Now, now. My 6th grade teacher Mr. Breau always said the only dumb question is the question not asked! Of course I then asked a math question which in retrospect could only be considered dumb . . . but then again I was never very good at math.

Curtis Homestead . . . pretty area. VERY buggy as I recall. I had a problem getting a GPSr lock the time I was there until I swung by a second time.

I know it was mentioned but an alternative to using software to download waypoints is to do it the old-fashioned way (like me) and manually input the waypoints into the GPSr.

We'll get you through this together and before long you'll be caching like a pro!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Curtis homestead is not an easy one. I'm still new, so I had a hard time finding it. I remember it was getting dark and I even had a little flutter because I couldn't find my way back to the trail for a couple of minutes. I recommend Mile 83 rest stop as a good starter because you're not as likely to lose your signal.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Curtis homestead was a very hard cache to find because of the tree cover interfering with the gps. I would recommend trying an easier one. If you looking for some help I live right up the road from you in Litchfield and maybe we could get together one weekend.
    Blazing Troll

Oh yeah, that was a bit hard, but the walk was really nice. We got a pjpreb sig item there I think....hmmm, yeah, try an easier one and I bet you'll have no problems! Sorry, I couldn't help more, but the whole computer thing is pretty much over my head! It is amazing I find any geocaches based on my knowledge of computers/gpsr. Hang in there :-)
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

after spending around 3 hours I finally managed to type in the co-ordinates. and then i went and found the cache!! Yea me!! Oh so that's what a cache looks like. If the cache smells like candy should I find the smelly thing and remove it? I TNLN SL.

Quote Originally Posted by caro
    after spending around 3 hours I finally managed to type in the co-ordinates. and then i went and found the cache!! Yea me!! Oh so that's what a cache looks like. If the cache smells like candy should I find the smelly thing and remove it? I TNLN SL.
    HURRAY!!! Congrats on your FCF (First Cache Find . . . OK, so I made up that anacronym! ) I'm thinking it shouldn't take three hours to type in coords normally so I can only guess that you were checking out the instruction manual or figuring it out on a trial-and-error approach.

Candy, huh? What type of candy? Must get focused -- in general smelly things (including good smelling things such as scented candles, candy, food, candy, cigars, candy, incense, candy, Hiram after his Saturday night bath , candy, etc.) should not be left inside a cache container as there is a concern that foraging animals may break into the cache in an attempt to locate the smelly object.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."