vb:literal>

Thread: Cheapest (non-crappy) SiRFstar III unit?

Default Cheapest (non-crappy) SiRFstar III unit?

Recently I've started looking into getting a new GPS unit - I currently use an ancient Garmin 12, which has served me well but I have started finding (or rather, not finding ) more and more caches in places with poor coverage such as dense foliage or at the base of cliffs.

I've noticed that everyone seems to love the Garmin 60CSx, but blowing almost $400 on what amounts to a one-purpose toy seems a tad harsh. And although some people seem confused about this, the eTrex "x"-series (Venture/Vista/Legend Cx) do not use the SiRFstar III chip.

I've done my homework and decided that a unit with the SiRFstar III chip definitely seems the best option currently available. I've also looked for handheld units using it, but therein I've mostly failed... I can find a few units over $300, and I can find literally dozens of receiver-only (as in, you need to plug it into a laptop or PDA) units for under $100, but nothing comparable to my trusty Garmin 12 - Just a basic standalone GPS unit that tells me my current location and has some simple waypoint and navigation functionality.

I don't care in the least about maps, or battery life (as long as it takes AAs - If it has a built-in battery, the runtime obviously matters far more), or a barometer, or the rest of the bells-and-whistles that have no relevance to finding caches. And I'd obviously like to pay as little as possible, in the sub-$100 range ideally, not more than $200 if possible.

So... Does what I want exist, or, like cellphones , can you no longer get one that doesn't have a million useless battery-sucking features that you get to pay for whether you want them or not?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag
    I've noticed that everyone seems to love the Garmin 60CSx, but blowing almost $400 on what amounts to a one-purpose toy seems a tad harsh. And although some people seem confused about this, the eTrex "x"-series (Venture/Vista/Legend Cx) do not use the SiRFstar III chip.
    The Garmin 60csx is definitely NOT a "one-purpose toy". LOL!!

Throw in some good mapping software, and it's an indispensible tool for traveling. We recently returned from a 2-week trip to the south - as far a Atlanta. With it we were able to pinpoint and take the best/fastest route to/from our hotels. We were able to search for specific restaurants in our area and - again - plot the best/fastest route to/from them. We could also search for the nearest tourist attractions. Simply great!

And the "x" designation refers to "expandable" memory - not the siRF chip.

Go for the csx!

I'm not so sure that you will be able to purchase anything with the new Sirrf chip with the amount of money you are willing to spend. I concur with WhereRwe's words and the Garmins with the new Sirrf chip do indeed do so much more that just be a use for caching. IF you do come across something with that chip for $200.00 let me know as I am looking for something with it too. I currently have the Garmin Vista which is 3 years old and it does lose signal quite often in heavy cover but hey it has found me over 700 caches so far. Good luck in your search. Haffy
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

And hey if you get all that you can even get the fun of being routed down roads that do not exist

Acctually I love my 60 csx, I use it daily for getting to places not just for caching, but then it is also very handy to be able to see the caches when I go by so I can go get them

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    And hey if you get all that you can even get the fun of being routed down roads that do not exist
    And lets not forget being routed the wrong way on one-way roads, and being routed to a point 150 feet from a cache, only to find out it's on the OTHER side of the river! LOL!

Originally posted by WhereRWe
    The Garmin 60csx is definitely NOT a "one-purpose toy". LOL!!
    Sorry - I didn't mean it quite like that. I realize quite a few legitimate uses exist for a decent GPS. I personally only use my current unit for GCing, however.

I might well end up getting a 60CSx - I just wondered if I had overlooked something for half the price without a few features I currently don't have anyway. Blame it on the "Ol' Yankee" in me - It just seems that if various companies can make receiver-only units for under $100, and I can get full units with a lesser chip in them for under $100... Well, 1+1=2, right?

Thanks for the responses so far.