vb:literal>

Thread: Another Newbie here

Default Another Newbie here

Hi there...I'm new to GPSing, but I LOVE gadgets(one of my many hobbies being remote controlled flying). Well, I bought my first GPS down in florida a couple of weeks ago, a TomTom, and it saved my life, so to speak. I'm a horrible traveler, and get totally stressed out when I don't know where I am. So I finally made up my mind, ignored the wife saying that it's way too expensive and that we don't need it, got directions from the front desk to the local BestBuy, got lost TWICE heading there, bought it, and the stress was INSTANTLY lifted. After buying that one, I knew I had to buy a hand held one..can't get enough of this stuff.

I heard about Geocaching from one of my customers in Lee who bought some chinese coins to put into some of these places.

So I'm hoping someone can help me with the edicate about the cache's. Is it a take and item and leave an item, or just leave an item? Are there groups to join?

Well, thanks for reading, hope to hear from someone, or anyone. Oh yeah...my name is Gene, I live in Brewer and my yahoo name is rc_pilot04401. Sorry if this micro-book doesn't make too much sense...it's still early for me, even though it 930, it is the weekend and I should still be sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot04401
    Hi there...I'm new to GPSing, but I LOVE gadgets(one of my many hobbies being remote controlled flying). Well, I bought my first GPS down in florida a couple of weeks ago, a TomTom, and it saved my life, so to speak. I'm a horrible traveler, and get totally stressed out when I don't know where I am. So I finally made up my mind, ignored the wife saying that it's way too expensive and that we don't need it, got directions from the front desk to the local BestBuy, got lost TWICE heading there, bought it, and the stress was INSTANTLY lifted. After buying that one, I knew I had to buy a hand held one..can't get enough of this stuff.

I heard about Geocaching from one of my customers in Lee who bought some chinese coins to put into some of these places.

So I'm hoping someone can help me with the edicate about the cache's. Is it a take and item and leave an item, or just leave an item? Are there groups to join?

Well, thanks for reading, hope to hear from someone, or anyone. Oh yeah...my name is Gene, I live in Brewer and my yahoo name is rc_pilot04401. Sorry if this micro-book doesn't make too much sense...it's still early for me, even though it 930, it is the weekend and I should still be sleeping.

You found the right group to join! Welcome to the insanity! There are plenty of people here to assist you any way you may need. And there are plent y of locals as well, msteelee and myself live right over the river in Bangor.

As far as caching etiquette, if you take something from the cache, it is proper to leave something of equal or greater value. Sometimes it's hard to put a value on the items, so don't wory about it too much. Just use common sense. You can also feel free to leave an item without taking any.

The exception to this is travel bugs. You do not need to leave an item to take a travel bug and move it to another cache.

I'd also reccomend you waypoint your car when you go to any cache so you can find your way back!

Yep,as Brdad has mentioned you are in for some fun and a great addiction if you love the outdoors. Plus you are in a great area for geocaching as that area is probably one of the more denser areas to cache in. Hope you enjoy the activity and make sure to check in here often. There are many good things to explore on this site and be sure to make it to an event in the area soon. Happy Caching Haffy
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Welcome

Good to have another new cacher in Brewer Gene. I've been caching for 3 years now and I love it. However the best part is all the awesome people I've met. I will be hosting my 3rd end of summer picnic in September. Check geocahing.com often for postings. I'd be happy to get together with you and show you some of the ropes. PM me here on this site and let me know if you'd like to get together sometime.
    Happy Trails!

Yes, welcome! This is a great group of folks. Just ask questions and be willing to reach out for answers. There are many people willing to help.

Hi all again..thanks for all the encouragement...I'm going to need it...I just tried my first cache, an easy one, or so I thought. Well, I had no idea what I was doing...so if anyone is ever available on the weekends, or in the evening..please...please let me know...by the way, I have a TomTom and a Garmin Legend...so if anyone knows how to use these combined, I would greatly appreciate it...

Hi all again..thanks for all the encouragement...I'm going to need it...I just tried my first cache, an easy one, or so I thought. Well, I had no idea what I was doing...so if anyone is ever available on the weekends, or in the evening..please...please let me know...by the way, I have a TomTom and a Garmin Legend...so if anyone knows how to use these combined, I would greatly appreciate it...
    Either Maniac or BRDad would be more than happy to show you the ropes -- definitely take them up on their offer to help . . . and then there's others in the area as well (but I don't want to "volunteer" them without their consent! )

If you have any specific questions feel free to post your question here -- this group is very helpful and can help guide you in the early stages when you're not quite sure of the geocaching etiquette.

I do want to add one thing though . . . as BrDad mentioned, if you take something you should replace it with something of equal or greater value. You may also (as he said) put something in without taking something out. You may also elect to not take or put anything at all in which case most folks log "TNLN" -- Took Nothing, Left Nothing and sometimes they'll add "SL" -- Signed Log. As BrDad mentioned you may take or leave a TB without trading.

Once you start to get a feel for this game you'll also discover signature items (items which geocachers leave as their "calling card") which you may take without placing something in the cache (at least that is my understanding).

Again, if you have questions ask away . . . and welcome to geocachingmaine.org.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

My weekends are very flexible and cache almost all of them and my evennings are clear aswell. Come to the Old Town area and we can do some togeather.