vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangor Area Things to Do

Default Bangor Area Things to Do

Okay, my 24 year old daughter is coming home this week and my son wants to go to Orono to show her his school and apartment on Saturday. Help me... what is there to do with young "adults" in the Bangor/Orono area? My kids are pretty enthusiastic about anything. I don't know the area that well and can't seem to find an event calendar for the area.

Well there is always caching if nothing else... If they like gambling there is the Hollywood Slots. I have never been but know people who have and they always have a good time win or lose. I'm sure some Bangor people would have a better idea....Brdad,Lee,Sudonim,Brad just to name a few.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

UMaine has a whitewater kayak camp starting up on Sunday. (I think it is a multi-day thing though) It requires registration and an admission fee (I don't know how much the fee is) but the program looks like fun. It's posted on the "Calendar" of U Maine's web site.
    http://calendar.umaine.edu/details.asp?eventid=1868

Hmm, when we want to do something, we go to Augusta or somewhere!

How about the Orono Bog Walk? A few caches and a hike... Dyslexic's nightmare coult test the threads of any family!

It's a fun way to kill an hour. We've been once (before the coin distribution event, actually) and enjoyed it--went in with $20 and came out with $40. YMMV!

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Well there is always caching if nothing else... If they like gambling there is the Hollywood Slots. I have never been but know people who have and they always have a good time win or lose. I'm sure some Bangor people would have a better idea....Brdad,Lee,Sudonim,Brad just to name a few.

d’76 Guest

Mini Golf and go carts at Black beards would be fun for all ages. I would recommend the Bear brew pub for a nice dinner in Orono. And in Old Town you have Sunkhaze wild life refuge that would be a nice trail system http://www.sunkhaze.org/

Anything else... Hmmmm Let me see. Theres some good caching in the area.

OBTW your are only about 45 minutes from Bar Harbor.

On a nice day, sitting out on the deck of the Sea Dog restaurant is a pretty spot to watch the boats go by.

Here's a few possible ideas. I wasn't exactly sure when you were thinking of coming up here so . . .

Thu Jul 20, 2006 - 04:00 PM- 08:00 PM
    Outdoor Market.
    Featuring artisans, food vendors and entertainment. Location: On the Kenduskeag Plaza.
    Bangor Center Corp. 992-4234

Thu
    Jul 20, 2006 - 07:00 PM- 08:00 PM
    Cool Sounds Concert.
    Cool Sounds Concert in Pickering Square with Dave Wooley (Original Country sound).
    Bangor Center Corp. 992-4234

Tue Jul 20, 2006 - 07:30 PM
    2006 Summer Concert Series.
    Diane Luchese (Baltimore, Maryland). Works of Bach, Durufle, Franck, Mozart, Woodman & Tournemire).
    St. John's Catholic Church. 942-6941

Thu
    Jul 20, 2006 - 07:00 PM
    Public Lecture.
    "Orono History Overview" by UMaine Professor (ret) Steward Doty. Location: Orono Town Hall.
    Town of Orono. 866-2467

Fri
    Jul 21, 2006
    Outdoor Movies-Funny Face.
    Location: Pickering Square, downtown Bangor. Movie begins at sundown, and refreshments will be available. Bring your lawn chairs or blankets.
    River City Cinema Society. 942-0306

Sun
    Jul 23, 2006 - 11:00 AM- 03:00 PM
    Annual Maine Wedding Association Bridal Show.
    Enjoy the fashions, food, and festivities. Visit and shop with many local and national vendors. Hourly Door Prizes, and a grand prize Honeymoon Trip.
    Spectacular Event Center. 937-3000

Tue Jul 25, 2006 - 06:45 PM
    Bangor Band Concert.
    Conductor Fredric Goldrich. Location: Chapin Park Block Party.
    Bangor Parks and Rec. 667-4874

Wed
    Jul 26, 2006 -07:00 PM
    Free Concerts at the Library.
    Prevailing Winds perform. A fun saxophone quartet.
    Bangor Public Library. 947-8336

Tue
    Jul 26, 2006 - 07:00 PM
    Summer Music Series.
    Prevailing Winds, Saxophone Quartet.

Wed
    Jul 26, 2006 - 05:00 PM- 09:00 PM
    Thomas Hill Standpipe Tour.
    Built in 1897, the Standpipe was constructed on the highest point in Bangor. It was designed for firefighting and as the reserve water supply for the city. Magnificent view of the city and surrounding area.
    Bangor Water District. 947-4516

Wed
    Jul 26, 2006 - 11:00 AM12:00 PM
    Adult Drawing Class.
    Location: Isaacs Farrar Mansion on Second St. with instructor Carolyn Wallace-Zani owner of Main Street Studio. Contact the Bangor Y for more information.
    Main Street Studio. 941-2828

Thu
    Jul 27, 2006 - 06:00 PM
    Fund Raising Program.
    Readers Theatre and Jazz Night.

Tue
    Jul 27, 2006 - 07:30 PM
    2006 Summer Concert Series.
    Kevin Birch (Bangor, Maine). Works of Bach, Barber, Buck, Franck & Frescobaldi.
    St. John's Catholic Church. 942-6941

Fri
    Jul 28, 2006
    Outdoor Movies-Murder on the Orient Express.
    Location: Pickering Square, downtown Bangor. Movie begins at sundown, and refreshments will be available. Bring your lawn chairs or blankets.
    River City Cinema Society. 942-0306

Fri
    Jul 28, 2006 - 07:30 PM- 10:30 PM
    Comedy Show.
    Larry Myles from MTVA and Iraq USO Tour. Doors open at 7:30 PM, Show from 8:30-10:30. tickets are $18 per person, includes hot and cold appetizers and cash bar.
    Spectacular Event Center. 941-8700

Jul 29-Aug 6, 2006 947-5555
    Bangor State Fair.

Bangor Auditorium/Civic Center. 947-5555

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few of my favorite picks (besides geocaching of course)

Stop by the Friar's Bakery downtown . . . the Friars are wicked nice and make some sinfully delicious pastries such as Mortal Cin-a-bons and a few other creations. Of course I have only heard tell of these tasty treats since I would never be found in such a place eating such a thing . . . except for Friday mornings around 9 a.m.

It's a chain restaurant, but it's the only one in Maine and I have to admit that I love this place . . . especially the sweet rolls with the cinnamon butter . . . Texas Roadhouse -- if you're looking for a quiet, low-key romantic place this sure isn't the place to go. The waitresses and waiters will line dance on certain songs, you're encouraged to throw your peanut shells on the floor (you may not want to go here if you have a peanut allergy) and the place is positively thrumming with activity. One of my favorite restaurants . . . oh yeah, the food is wicked good.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Too bad you weren't visiting in late August as the American Folk Festival is a pretty neat event . . . runs from August 26-28th this year.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Of course there is also the Mall (not my thing . . . but some folks enjoy shopping), walking/biking at the City Forest, kayaking on the Penobscot (although you may not want to do what I did several years ago and do a Brewer to Bucksport trip . . . my arms were never so sore), harness racing is going on at Bass Park on the 21st and 23rd and you can always visit Dave1976 in Old Town (he gives you a free drink of water with every visit! )

Bangor unfortunately is not really known as a destination spot . . . there is not a lot here for fun, exciting things to do other than the normal movies/bowling/etc. events found in any city. Things are changing a bit with Hollywood Slots (mentioned by other geocachers) and then there are places like Blackbeards, the Children's Museum, Discovery Shuttle Museum, etc. that are geared towards children . . . but quite honestly most of the literature on-line seems to be promoting Bangor as a "gateway" to Bar Harbor and the Katahdin Area.

Oh yeah I also thought of another possible place to eat . . . Big Fred's and his Patriot burger. Honestly, the burger is fair to good taste-wise, but what sets this burger aside is the sheer size . . . it's about the size of a small pizza (you may be able to eat one at one sitting . . . but you won't want to do much else for the rest of the day.)