vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching Maine Organization meeting/event

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Whoever we choose, be it one or ten, will hopefully never make decisions for the group, but instead make sure of the group's desires and make their decisions based on that. Again, I'd like to see a system where we can contact all members when the need arises.
    I agree with you Brdad. We are not going to elect anyone for the purpose of having control over the group. I foresee and this is my opinion because I can not say what the outcome will be. But this is what I foresee that we need to start out with. I only foresee maybe starting out with a representative/spokesmen and maybe a treasurer. The treasurer is really not needed because I do not foresee us charging to become a member of our organization we have not in the past and see no reason to in the future.

Bruce what do you think we we need a committee of 5 people for? 5 people is a lot to run an organization that is basically a organized web site/group. I am not asking this to be a smart ass. I want to hear you reasons?
    Blazing Troll

Oops I'm not Bruce. Anyway this is just my opinion but I see no need for any committee or group or whatever you want to call it. WE are the group and all I can see that we need is just a platform or some sort for a better word and some sort of documents that we can obtain either through here or download from here that explains what we are all about. Something that we could present to a landowner or land trust or private land owner that explains our main goals. Just make it simple and to the point. Maybe create a PDF format that we can download. Make it a brochure or whatever that explains what makes our organization and what we stand for. Just a few of my thoughts.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Another purpose for this meeting will be to discuss our web site and how we all see our plans for it and where we want to go with it ect.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Bruce what do you think we we need a committee of 5 people for? 5 people is a lot to run an organization that is basically a organized web site/group. I am not asking this to be a smart ass. I want to hear you reasons?
    Nothing I can put my finger on right now - I'm just uncomfortable with one person being the spokeman for GeocachingMaine.

Let me see if I can articulate:

We have as many opinions about what geocaching should be like as we have members. If "the spokesman" got a request for information about caching (from the group's perspective - not a 1-on-1 interview like several of us have had), I'd probably disagree with a few of the things the spokesman said. That's why I think "the spokesman" should have a respected group he can consult with.

I'm thinking about subjects such as property access, etc. I know, WE FOLLOW THE RULES ON GEOCACHING.COM, but how many "urban micro caches" have we seen where obviously the cache owner didn't ask Wendy's if it was OK to place the cache in the light post? And WalMart or mall parking lots are NOT public property.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Oops I'm not Bruce. Anyway this is just my opinion but I see no need for any committee or group or whatever you want to call it. WE are the group
    Yes, and I remember how long it took "the group" to decide on a Maine geocoin! LOL!

This is a great forum for bringing out ideas. But sooner or later, SOMEONE (or a small group) is going to have to make a decision. And I don't think the online polls are the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Whatever we do, can we please not use the term "steering committee"? To me, it sounds like a steering committee's job is to steer the opinions of the members to suit their needs or desires.

Whoever we choose, be it one or ten, will hopefully never make decisions for the group, but instead make sure of the group's desires and make their decisions based on that. Again, I'd like to see a system where we can contact all members when the need arises.
    how about an "ad hoc" committee? these are formed to "fact find" and are temporary. i agree with brdad in that i also do not like the term "steering committee". many organizations have several ad hoc committees - usually one committee to looking into each issue that comes up. these committees then present their findings to the whole organization. another good thing about them is a person can choose to be on a committee for an issue that is most important to him/her. it is a good way to get more members involved.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

I think there are too many ideas being presented here all at once. To really decide on what should be done, I think we really must meet to discuss things. It's too difficult in forums to really hash out something this big, as far as I'm concerned.

-RanMan22

That's why an event is in the works.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by RanMan22
    I think there are too many ideas being presented here all at once. To really decide on what should be done, I think we really must meet to discuss things. It's too difficult in forums to really hash out something this big, as far as I'm concerned.

-RanMan22
    Meeting will be good, but tossiing out ideas in the interim and in preparation is a great thing. It helps to prepare and further stimulate thought around any given topic. Some like to have a spontaneous conversation, some like to mull an idea over in advance. Tossing things out here and following up with a meeting is the best of both worlds.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I think we could make a big step forward if we could just come up with a way to make decisions.