vb:literal>

Thread: Traveling Cache Vacationing in Maine & New England

Foothills of the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee

Arrow Traveling Cache Vacationing in Maine & New England

The traveling Roamer (GCCDDE) cache has stopped by for a visit on Mount Desert Island near Bar Harbor, Maine.
    Roamer is, well, a 'roamer', and would like to meet friendly local cachers who are willing to pick him up and and show him the sights around Maine and New England and beyond!
    If you want to know more about how Roamer likes to travel, check out the notes on the cache page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...2-4ca6cda49b23 , or contact Roamer's owner, Zephyrus http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...d-4ea93df67331 .
    If you want to know more about where Roamer is currently vacationing on the Island, contact us, jombbl http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...2-a5192d66b2a0 .
    We had a Great time caching around Mount Desert Island and across ME and NH and VT last week. We're still trying to catch up on logging all those caches this week.

Happy Trails, Roamer... and fellow geocachers in Maine!

Chip & Blair
    jombbl @ geocaching
    Southeast Tennessee

Question Hmmmmmm.....

Interesting...I thought caches weren't supposed to move?

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    Interesting...I thought caches weren't supposed to move?
    Travelling caches are not allowed now, but this one was placed before those rules were in effect. Kind of an iteresting breed of cache since there won't be any more.

I found a traveling cache once. Before it came to Skowhegan, Maine, it had most recently been in San Tropez, France and Brussels, Belgium. I sent it to "The Big Nickel" in Sudbury, Ontario. It bounced around Canada for a while and is now in South Africa.

If you visit the link, see the entry for 3/8/04

(SPOILER! SPOILER!) There's a geocache at that location now, too.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-57b56a1a08f0
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 11-03-2004 at 09:54 AM.

Default ¨¨°şİo.,,.oİş°¨¨°şİ (- Travelling Caches -) İş°¨¨°şİo.,,.oİş°¨¨

I've found one of these as well, although its movements are restricted to keep it along Route 16 between Rochester, NH & Conway. It's the Where Am I? Northern Edition by Bounty Hunter. Kind of interesting but I would imagine it could get frustrating trying to nail down the location. I'm glad there's only a few of these.

Foothills of the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee

It could "could get frustrating trying to nail down the location" if you were on a mission to find that cache. The Roamer cache bounced around our area for a week or so, with several competitive local cachers in hot pursuit trying to snag the cache out from under one another! Then after a road trip to Florida, where it did not get deposited along the way as planned, it wound up back in Tennessee only a couple miles from the house.
    We get the weekly new cache notifications, but don't check for new cache placements morning, noon, & night, as some of our local cachers do, so an e-mail from a friendly fellow cacher let us know that Roamer was in our neighborhood and ready to be found and moved on. We considered relocating Roamer somewhere nearby in GA or AL or TN, but decided to hold onto it until our ME/NH/VT caching vacation so we could place the cache in entirely new area.
    We've had a near close encounter with only one other 'grandfathered' moving cache. That moving micro cache had been dropped off with one of our now archived rest area caches, but it was an untimely placement because our regular cache and the moving micro were both swiped!
    It probably is good that there are not alot of moving caches, but it does add an occasional fun and different twist to the geocaching game.
    We do hope Y'all show Roamer some hardy New England hospitality, and tour him around Maine and beyond.

Chip & Blair