vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennebec River Rail Trail Cache gone for good

Default Kennebec River Rail Trail Cache gone for good

The cache disappeared sometime in the last month so I have archived it. Mine has been taken/trashed twice, and a previous cache on the trail was also taken. There has been a lot of vandalism along the trail lately, so I think it probably isn't a good place for one.

Unhappy

It's a great place for one, but with the HEAVY HEAVY traffic it gets I am not surprised that it was taken. Thanks for your efforts and I wish we had had time to find it before it was taken.

Angry Awwwwww

That's frustrating! It's a great place for a cache and for walking - it's too bad there has to be such disrespect and disregard by a small number of individuals who end up leaving a negative mark that the rest of us have to pay the consequences for.

Default What a bummer

And I really enjoyed that cache. All it takes is a few bad apples to spoil it for everyone. Hope this doesn't discourage you from putting out any more caches though,maybe in a safer place with less chance of muggles around. Thanks for the hide anyway. Haffy6

Default What about a micro? Or a micro multi?

I haven't yet walked the trail, but I wonder if a micro cache or a clever multi cache (are there any markers or items with numbers??) would be suitable. Having geocached in Chicago and fort myers, there are clever ways to hide small caches, and if a micro gets taken, it's much less of an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainepod
    I haven't yet walked the trail, but I wonder if a micro cache or a clever multi cache (are there any markers or items with numbers??) would be suitable.
    I think the cache was a multi. It's tough because there is HEAVY traffic all the time, there are markers along the way, but there isn't much hiding space since it's right next to the river. On the other side if the railroad there is a tall wall with plenty of hiding places, but there is also a sign that says crossing the tracks is a $500 fine. So, it is tough to host a cache there. We lost one there about a year ago. But a micro.. ummm, there's a thought, but with the traffic, it's still tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Geochicks
    I think the cache was a multi. It's tough because there is HEAVY traffic all the time, there are markers along the way, but there isn't much hiding space since it's right next to the river. On the other side if the railroad there is a tall wall with plenty of hiding places, but there is also a sign that says crossing the tracks is a $500 fine. So, it is tough to host a cache there. We lost one there about a year ago. But a micro.. ummm, there's a thought, but with the traffic, it's still tough.
    Say what? A $50 fine for crossing railroad tracks? I've never heard of that. Very unusual!

Default $500.00 fine

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Say what? A $50 fine for crossing railroad tracks? I've never heard of that. Very unusual!
    Not really,you have to remember that the railroad tracks are private property. And there is the liability issue with trespassing but having worked on the railroad for a number of years it is something that is very rarely if ever enforced. As far as the tracks down in Hallowell, well those are pretty much abandoned now and I can't remember when the last train traveled down them. That is why they have the sidewalk running alongside.And it is mentioned $500.00 and not $50.00 as you mentioned Bruce.. JFYI

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    As far as the tracks down in Hallowell, well those are pretty much abandoned now and I can't remember when the last train traveled down them. That is why they have the sidewalk running alongside.And it is mentioned $500.00 and not $50.00 as you mentioned Bruce.. JFYI
    1983, I think.

Yeah, it's $500.00 not $50.00 So, yes, there are some great places to hide a cache in the stone/rock wall. If you cross the tracks. I had a cache (maybe we all have) where I had to walk down some tracks, but there was no sign. This is clearly marked several times. and I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone getting a $500.00 fine. If so, caching would be very expensive.

Either $50 or $500 - it's still crazy (and sheesh! It's was just a typo)!

But I think if the sign is an issue, you could contact Guilford Rail, get the "OK" to allow track crossing at that point (even if everyone knows there will never be a trail over that stretch again), and make the permission known in the cache listing. We visited a cache in New Brunswick where you had to walk down a set of LIVE tracks for a way. The cache owner cautioned cachers to "watch for trains"!