vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kennebec River Rail Trail Cache gone for good

Default I have a plan

Actually, there is a lot of accessible wooded land at certain locations on the river side. Where my cache was happened to be where many people (teens partying? fisherman?) cut down to the river. One approach would be to find a remote spot near the river where no one goes. I have an idea for a small, theme-based cache. I was also thinking about making it a member-only. What do you all think about member-only caches?

Quote Originally Posted by Geomaineiacs
    Actually, there is a lot of accessible wooded land at certain locations on the river side. Where my cache was happened to be where many people (teens partying? fisherman?) cut down to the river. One approach would be to find a remote spot near the river where no one goes. I have an idea for a small, theme-based cache. I was also thinking about making it a member-only. What do you all think about member-only caches?
    Great idea! I don't think I've ever seen one in Maine.

Default Member Only

There was a member only cache but I can't exactly remember where it was,maybe up in the Bangor area if I'm not mistaken or downeast somewhere but I think it was archived.Personally,myself I like to see this activity open to all people but that's just my opinion. I was hoping maybe someone would have taken over the Benedict Arnold cache along the tracks in Hallowell. Has anyone down in that area know of the one I am referring to? Maybe that would be a good question to ask everybody here as to their thoughts on members only caches?

Default members only

I did the only members-only up in Ellsworth this summer and found it trashed. It was located at a very busy fishing spot. It has not been replaced. Considering that the Augusta-area cache trashers who were kicked off GC.com live in the area and may check the website for easy victims, I am reluctant to place a public access one on the rail trail.

I did do the Benedict Arnold one when it was active. Nice spot on the river but the walk to it was not very inspiring. I would prefer the rail trail if I set up a new one on the river in Hallowell.

There are some many public access caches (in fact, all of them in Maine!) that I don't see the harm of a few members-only.

Default Go for it!!!

I'm not against members only caches but just think that everyone should be involved. If that is the only way that you think another KRRT cache could be maintained then I say go for it and hopefully I'll be the FTF.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    There was a member only cache but I can't exactly remember where it was,maybe up in the Bangor area if I'm not mistaken or downeast somewhere but I think it was archived.
    I just checked and there is currently only 1 active "members only" cache in Maine - down near Kittery. The one near Ellsworth is still inactive.

Thumbs up Great idea

Members only might be a great way to have a cache along the trail. Best to place it in a very different area perhaps. It seems that there are a number of good places along the trail. Would be great to see one along the trail again.