vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing and deleting option removed

Default Editing and deleting option removed

In the past I have given users full access to editing and deleting their own posts because I felt we could trust all our users to be pleasant and courteous and think about helping us with the web site and trusted them in not trying to edit and delete old post to disrupt, disturb our the web site.

Well it seems that over the weekend that while I was out having a good time at the caching event one of our users that seems to be causing trouble from somewhere else has taken it on themselves to start deleting and editing some of there older posts. In doing this it disrupts the thread flow and makes posts and replies that were directed at this person’s response sometime to not make any sense at all.

So at this time we have changed it so that members currently can not edit or delete there own post for the time being until we can come up with an alternative for this.
    Blazing Troll

Is there any way to lock them after as set period, like an hour or a day? That would be neat. It would gives posters time to edit their typos, as well as rephrase their words without degrading the sanctity of the thread.

Regardless, people should be aware whatever they post is a reflection on them and to only post what they won't be ashamed of.

Edit: hmmm, I had to respell regardless and I was able to edit...

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Is there any way to lock them after as set period, like an hour or a day? That would be neat. It would gives posters time to edit their typos, as well as rephrase their words without degrading the sanctity of the thread.

Regardless, people should be aware whatever they post is a reflection on them and to only post what they won't be ashamed of.
    I'd hope we could retain the ability to edit - I hate to see a typo after I've posted a message - but I agree that the ability to delete should be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Well it seems that over the weekend that while I was out having a good time at the caching event one of our users that seems to be causing trouble from somewhere else...
    Sheesh! Can't be talking about me - I only cause trouble from HERE! LOL!

I would like the ability to edit retained if at all possible since there are times that I read what I have typed and find a typo, missing word or I just don't make any sense after I've hit the "submit" button so I go back and make a quick fix.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I'm sure we'll come up with something,maybe a time constraint like 24 hours or something like that. If you knew the whole story you would know why this measure was taken. Sorry for the inconvenience but it had to be done and it will be rectified soon.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad

Edit: hmmm, I had to respell regardless and I was able to edit...
    Yes there is a way to do this. I could make it one hour or one day.I just need to go in an set it up. I will work on that later tonight or this week.
    Blazing Troll

It is unfortunate that people force you to do things like this, but understandable. I frequently post in two other forums. I am the moderator for one, so have the power to edit, but in the other I can only edit for a very short period of time after the post. (something like 10 minutes) This might be a solution for you. Like the others, I often go DOH! just after I post and want to make minor changes.
    It's gotta be here somewhere...

I have set it so that everyone has 15 minutes to edit their post. After that they can not longer edit their post.
    Last edited by Haffy; 07-25-2006 at 07:19 PM.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I have set it so that everyone has 15 minutes to edit there post. After that they can not longer edit there post.

A great solution to the problem! Thanks, Rick.