vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Curious

Hybrid View

Default Just Curious

I'm curious as to what procedures most cachers use to find a cache.I do mine just one step above the cavemen(I have a printer)they I believe had to use cave drawings.But seriously,I print out the pages,with the clue decrypted,hand load the info into my etrex.Depending on the circumstances I may or maynot use the clue,micros I do,and if I'm trying to do a lot of caches in a day I do.On the other hand if doing a ammo can,and not in a hurry I love to find it without a clue.

Discussing this with a friend the other day ,he feels you should look for the cache a minimum of of an hour or so ,before using the clue.He uses his mapping programs to pin point the cache,before he ever goes to look for it.Which I feel takes away from the hunt.

My cache Vic's Challenge is all about the clue,I had the clue first then designed the cache around it.Lots of micros i've done are that way,the clue makes the cache.

What are your thoughts. Vic

Let me start off by saying that being the Bob Dylan fan that I am I quickly caught onto the clue... the cache however didn't fall so easily into place... we looked everywhere the w.... would b.... (note that i'm not saying the whole words so i dont ruin the clue) we even looked around the flag, even though its 90' away from the coords. we counted bolts and nuts, felt cracks and crevasississ followed the wind, looked in the wind, broke wind... so anyways to answer your question,

i go paperless, i use my laptop with all the caches loaded into GSAK. I have a GPSr for my laptop and one for me. I've gotten to the point where I get so close to the cache that I don't even use the handheld gps to find the cache. There are a few caches that I spend over hours looking for, but I hate to give up, it drives me nuts leaving cache behind, usually when I'm in dire need (or i just want to find the cache quickly) will i use the clue.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker
    I'm curious as to what procedures most cachers use to find a cache.I do mine just one step above the cavemen(I have a printer)they I believe had to use cave drawings.But seriously,I print out the pages,with the clue decrypted,hand load the info into my etrex.Depending on the circumstances I may or maynot use the clue,micros I do,and if I'm trying to do a lot of caches in a day I do.On the other hand if doing a ammo can,and not in a hurry I love to find it without a clue.

Discussing this with a friend the other day ,he feels you should look for the cache a minimum of of an hour or so ,before using the clue.He uses his mapping programs to pin point the cache,before he ever goes to look for it.Which I feel takes away from the hunt.

My cache Vic's Challenge is all about the clue,I had the clue first then designed the cache around it.Lots of micros i've done are that way,the clue makes the cache.

What are your thoughts. Vic
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Well, we gave up paper over a year ago and never looked back! I picked up a PalmIII on eBay real cheap (around $30) and Cachemate ($8) and can now carry 500 updated cache pages in my pocket. With it I have the option of decrypting the clue quickly if I need it or am in a rush, like you do. I like it when the clues are a little vague, and just help narrow down the search a bit to a rock or stump, eye level or ground level, etc.

If I'm by myself and time is not a factor, I think an hour is about the limit, although the longer it took me to get there, the longer I will look. The kids used to like the hunt more when thay were little, but as teenagers they usually have something else they would rather be doing than caching. And of course, if the kids are unhappy, Donna is unhappy. She's a little more patient if it's just the two of us out.

I will use USAPhotoMaps to get a rough idea of the lay of the land; swampy, road/trail to take, which side of the water to be on, etc. When I get to the general vicinity, I'll follow the pointer on the GPS until about 100' away, then watch the distance go down. When it starts going back up again, I'll turn 90 degrees and walk back and forth in that direction. Keep repeating ad infinitum until I'm as close to zero as I can get. Then I will sort of spiral out from there, watching the distance now and then to see if it bottoms out at another location.

AHHH!!! The patented Hiram Natuilus searching techniqe! many often confuse this with being lost and wandering around in circles, but only a professional geocaching eye can tell the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    I'll turn 90 degrees and walk back and forth in that direction. Keep repeating ad infinitum until I'm as close to zero as I can get. Then I will sort of spiral out from there, watching the distance now and then to see if it bottoms out at another location.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

This is just me but I ALWAYS use the hints I don't care how easy it is. Plus, just make sure if you do use a Palm make sure to update it before heading out. It sucks to not find the cache and then return home to see that it was archived or disabled. Paperless is the way to go and with GSAK and Cachemate thats all you'll ever need. Sure beats printing out all those cache pages and besides it saves a tree and saves on ink costs. Each to his own though, whatever floats your boat I say. It's not how you cache but if you are enjoying yourself and relishing the outdoors and all the beautiful places that caching brings you to, that's all that counts.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

And hey, you can even surf the web on some Palms -- I'm typing this response on my Sony Clié.

I agree that paperless is the way to go,if anyone comes across a good deal let me know.But remember you may be responsible for teaching me how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker
    Iif anyone comes across a good deal let me know.
    Here's a couple I see on eBay:
    That should get you started. Of course, you know the risks of buying the stuff on eBay; it could not work properly when you get it. These units are probably at least 5-6 years old, and depending on the abuse they got, they could have loose solder joints on the boards that cause the unit to power off unexpectedly. But for the price, I think the risk is worth it.

They are really easy to use and the Cachemate software is as well. You will want to look into GSAK if you don't have it already as well. It's not hard at all to get everything set up and working right, and I don't mind walking you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    When I get to the general vicinity, I'll follow the pointer on the GPS until about 100' away, then watch the distance go down. When it starts going back up again, I'll turn 90 degrees and walk back and forth in that direction. Keep repeating ad infinitum until I'm as close to zero as I can get. Then I will sort of spiral out from there, watching the distance now and then to see if it bottoms out at another location.
    geez! that made me dizzy just reading it
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    geez! that made me dizzy just reading it
    LOL!! Remember as a kid where you'd go out on the lawn and spin around like crazy until you fell down? I must have been practicing for geocaching later on....