vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Curious

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag
    I use EasyGPS myself - I haven't tried GSAK, but I have to wonder what it could possibly do that EasyGPS doesn't
    The list of differences is much too big to post here... it's almost not fair to compare them. For starters, GSAK is designed to work with all the custom GC.com cache data, such as logs, hint, cache status, difficulties, container type, hider, hide date, TB's, etc, etc. GSAK's filtering capabilities are staggering: any field can be filtered on in combination with and or all other fields. It's very easy to set up a custom filter and save it for later recall. Let's say you want an easy caching weekend someplace to the north: set up a filter for all caches N, NE & NW that have difficulties less than 2, less than or equal to 1 DNF, and less than 30 miles from your home coordinates. Or if you are travelling from one cache to another, and would like all the caches that are less then 5 miles from the line that connects them, it's another simple filter. I can also filter by text, so if I'm heading to Portland I can search for all caches with the word "Baxter" in the description that I haven't found yet.

It will also maintain a list of your FTF's, the date you found a cache, and it lets you add notes and correct the coordinates (handy for puzzle caches). You can change the center point of your distance measurements which is handy if you're out camping, visiting or travelling. If has built-in links to all the popular mapping websites, and it's very easy to add your own link (I made one to USAPhotoMaps). For power users, the macro language is a bonus... you can make it do just about anything, from statistics on all the caches in the state to creating a custom web page listing all your finds.

It can also upload to most GPSr's as well as send the data to Cachemate (or other PDA s/w, I assume), so if you have all your caches filtered, it's two clicks to get them all to your GPSr and PDA.

And that's the rest of the story.....
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I find that trying to live my caveman exsistance is getting harder and harder every day.My son saids dad you got to give up the old ways.Listening to you guys talk all this tech stuff makes me think he's probably right.I have tried to live without credit cards,checking accounts or banks period.I had to money in Cheryls account last week,it was the first time in 10 years I'd been in the bank.It gets harder every day to do things with cash.A girl at sears apologized to me for not knowing how to enter a cash transaction into the register.She had to get her manager.

Back when I smoked all the time I figured I wouldn't live long enough to have to worry about it.Now with this organic diet and all the exersise from geocaching I may have to get a credit card so I can purchase on ebay,sign up for GSAK,etc.What is the world coming to.Wally-world even has self check out !!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker
    What is the world coming to.Wally-world even has self check out !!!
    Man, you should've seen my "happy dance" the day this happened in my town..."YES, I don't have to talk to the cashier about EVERY item i'm buying!"
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

vicbiker : It gets harder every day to do things with cash.

Don't give up! The day I can't use cash for almost everything, I'll start living like a hermit.

Cash transactions don't leave slips of paper with your number on them for people to steal. Cash transactions don't accidentally get overcharged after-the-fact. Cash transactions make it impossible to spend more than you have. Cash transactions don't leave a trail that companies like ChoicePoint aggregate without your knowledge or permission and sell to anyone that asks.

Cash transactions end with the transaction itself.

Wally-world even has self check out !!!

Ugh. I consider those things the single most insulting development in the retail world ever. Stores that put them in have effectively told their customers, "Our service sucks so bad, many of you would rather serve yourselves!" . No. I can't even count the number of times I've gone into a store to see one overworked cashier with a line a mile long, with four totally empty self-checkout stations sitting there. When this happens, we all need to do what I do - Go to the service desk and demand they open another register. If they point to the self-checkout (which they always do), ask them how much a discount you get for saving them the cost of a cashier. I have yet to get a good answer to that.

And for the record - I bought my current GPS with cash, rather than online.

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag
    Wally-world even has self check out !!!

Ugh. I consider those things the single most insulting development in the retail world ever. Stores that put them in have effectively told their customers, "Our service sucks so bad, many of you would rather serve yourselves!" . No. I can't even count the number of times I've gone into a store to see one overworked cashier with a line a mile long, with four totally empty self-checkout stations sitting there. When this happens, we all need to do what I do - Go to the service desk and demand they open another register. If they point to the self-checkout (which they always do), ask them how much a discount you get for saving them the cost of a cashier. I have yet to get a good answer to that.
    Sheesh! You want low prices AND great service? LOL!

I love the self-checkouts because they almost ALWAYS gve you back brand new (or nearly new) $1 bills as change. Great for us "Where's Georgers". (Plus, think of all the marked bills you can put into circulation at one of those terminals!)

But then there's the time when RULOST2? and I decided to be "cute", and pressed the button for Spanish. Well, be had a wierd coupon we wanted to use, and the machine kept rejecting it. Needless to say, the poor supervisor couldn't tell what the problem was as all the prompts kept coming up in Spanish. We finally got through that experience, but learned our lesson! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    But then there's the time when RULOST2? and I decided to be "cute", and pressed the button for Spanish.
    Heheheheh... call me sadistic, but a couple times after I've finished checking out, I've pressed the French or Spanish button for the next person in line and then taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    Heheheheh... call me sadistic, but a couple times after I've finished checking out, I've pressed the French or Spanish button for the next person in line and then taken off.
    Ooooh! I like that idea!

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker
    Hey,There may be kids reading this.LOL
    Not to worry...

The kids of Geocachers are all GREAT kids, and wouldn't do anything like this unless encouraged by their parents! (Wicked LOL!)