vb:literal>

View Poll Results: How often do you look at the encrypted hint before finding the cache

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

14 38.89%
  • Most of the time

14 38.89%
  • Sometimes if I need to

8 22.22%
  • Never

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Hints

I only decrypt the clues on the worksheet if they are way too long to decrypt in the field. I really try not to use them at all unless I have spent some time looking.

Default Helpfull Cache Hint

I always decode them, sometimes they help. Broken twigs and DNA fingerprinting usually help the most.

Wink

I have a high tolerance for pain therefore I try not to look at the hint until I've searched for 45 minutes or so... This might sound odd but I'd rather take 15 minutes to find a cache than to find it immediately. Finding it too soon takes the fun out of it for me.
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

What can I say, I'm a cheater!!! I don't have a laptop, PDA, and multiple GPS's (like J&B Team!! - technogeeks!) to decrypt the hints. I hate it when I have a DNF, get home, check the hint, and find out it was under my nose the whole time!!!!I 'm out for the find, not the challenge...

Default Hints Why not

I am not going to waste my time and gas and find out i cant find the cache. yeah sure, i think hints are good, if a cacher takes the effort to find it he ought to be at least be able to get help if he/she is haveing trouble. After all, what is it all about anyway --- GPS4FUN! Thats the way i see it at least.. So most of the time i find myself on a time sched. so most of the time i end up looking at them. But not always.. But hey, it not like a broken rule to read them. Doesnt make anyone of us a better or worse Geocacher. ITs all about the hobbie in general.

NOREASTA.......................

Sure I use them...it's all about the numbers, right!!

Post Hints

My navigator and I only use them when necessary. First we're just glad to be out and about, spending time together. If we have been out there for awhile, we will decode the hint in the field and usually find the cache. I too hate to go the distance to log a DNF.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Red face Love those DNF's!

Oh, but some of us have an ever growing list of DNF's that we are quite proud of - hehehehe! I look at them (yes, ALL of them!) as an opportunity to get to a great location a second time. Well, in all honesty maybe even a third or more

Going back to caches is nice. I've wanted to go back to a few DNFs, but they were archived, and haven't found another reason to go back yet. But I have revisited some with Lee that she had not done before (even a couple tough ones, like etna bog and dyslexic's nightmare), and it's nice to see it in different weather or a different season.

We don't mind going back at all. Like the North Island Visit cache we hit yesterday - it took 3 trips to log it. (1st time we didn't want to try the ice, 2d time the cache was missing).

And we got another DNF yesterday at a cahcfe that should have been EASY! A new cache, LOTS of footprints all around, but we didn't see it...